“Great place to stay.”

Ramada Plaza Portland
Ranked #13 of 19 Hotels in Portland

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (105)
  • Korean first
Aroostook County, Me
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 January 2014

I stayed for two nights at the Howard Johnson Plaza in Portland during a visit to southern Maine. The facility has a convenient, central location, with easy access to the highway and main routes through the city. The jetport, Freeport, the Maine Mall, and the Old Port were only a few minutes' drive from the hotel. The staff was very friendly and helpful. My room, booked in advance through a travel site, did not have a particular feature that I wanted, but the manager upgraded me to a room that included it at no extra cost without my even having to ask. I was very impressed! My room was clean, quiet and comfortable, which are the three big things I seek during any hotel stay. It wasn't fancy, but most of my time in it was spent in bed with my eyes closed, so who cares? Despite the proximity to the turnpike and some busy streets, the traffic noise was not noticeable in my room. I did not avail myself of the pool, hot tub, or exercise room, but I did take a look at them and they were very well maintained. There are two on-site restaurants, for which Howard Johnson's provides discount coupons. I didn't try Season Grille, but I did very much enjoy my breakfast at The Egg and I. Great food and wonderful service there. There are plenty of restaurants, gas stations, and shopping opportunities nearby as well. I enjoyed my stay at the Howard Johnson Plaza in Portland, and will likely stay there again on my next trip to that area.

Room Tip: If you book through a travel site, it is a good idea to e-mail the HoJo's in advance to make sur...
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled solo
Bridgewater, Nova Scotia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 January 2014

After a 12 hour journey and being very tired, it was so nice to be greeted graciously at the check-in desk and then we went to the Lounge for a cock-tail prior to eating our evening meal. The hostess placed us at a table in front of the open fireplace. We were so comfortable that we also ate our meal at this table. We were treated in an excellent way and then we retired to our cozy room. What a pleasant ending to a strenuous day of driving. We have stayed here before and will return again. Also the breakfast room serves an exceptional meal too.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple