“Good Value Standard Suburban Motel - Problem With Smokers”

Ramada Plaza Portland
Ranked #12 of 19 Hotels in Portland
usa
“Good Value Standard Suburban Motel - Problem With Smokers”
Reviewed 29 June 2014

We stayed here for three nights. The rooms are clean, comfortable and with the usual amenities of a fridge, coffeemaker and microwave. Bathrooms are new and very nice. There is no free breakfast here. The lobby is roomy and comfortable. Décor throughout is very dated, but well maintained. The pool is heated and large; there are also two spa pools which are very welcome.

My only real complaint is the smoking at this "non-smoking" motel. The halls reek of it. I don't know what motels/hotels can do to enforce non-smoking policy, but this Howard Johnson really needs to do something about it.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
3 Thank angkor123

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (109)
  • Korean first
St. Paul, MN, US
Reviewed 25 June 2014

We got this hotel as a 3* on Priceline for a really good deal. I really wasn't expecting much but was pleasantly surprised. The room was very clean with everything we needed for a good 1 night stay. The pictures provided by the hotel are accurate - the decor could stand to be updated but very, very clean. The beds were comfortable and the sheets/towels were good. We were also pleased that our room was ready about noon so we could leave our bags & go out to sightsee. This was the largest room of our entire vacation (which included stays at 4.5* major upscale chain in downtown Boston as well as a well-known boutique hotel). The location isn't picturesque but it is convenient - 15 minutes to the Old Port and less than 10 minutes to the airport. We enjoyed breakfast at the attached Egg & I. I wouldn't hesitate to recommend this hotel to anyone looking for a quality motorlodge-type place to stay.

4 Thank Susan B
Centralia, Missouri
Reviewed 25 June 2014

My wife and I left our room to get a coffee before checking out and when we returned 20 minutes later room service had already stripped the beds and was cleaning it. We even had items in the room. Checkout time is 12:00 pm but I guess they were in a rush for us to leave at app, 9:00 am. The Receptionist wouldn't even stand up when we entered the hotel upon arriving and was rude.

Room Tip: Drive to another hotel
4 Thank Dennis M
MarkHeisler, General Manager at Ramada Plaza Portland, responded to this review, 8 July 2014
Please accept my apologies for the service issues you experienced during your stay. The housekeeper evidently thought that you had checked out, I am sorry that they were not more attentive. I have brought your comments to the attention of the staff to ensure they do not repeat this mistake. I hope that you will give us an opportunity in the future to show you our usual hospitality.
Norfolk, Virginia
Reviewed 22 June 2014

The front desk employee who checked us in lied to a customer whom she was on the phone with saying "the lobby is super busy!" when I was the only customer there. She tried to act like doing that was a service to me by winking. Even worse, we wanted to change our room (a 1 Queen bed) to a different floor and the staff put us into a 2 Double bed room without telling us. Upon finding our room, one bed was strewn with hairs on the flat sheet and the bathroom had hair on the floor, in the sink, and in the shower. Not a pleasant stay. I expected much more from reviews I read of this hotel.

3 Thank khakiman
MarkHeisler, General Manager at Ramada Plaza Portland, responded to this review, 24 June 2014
Please accept my apologies for the service and housekeeping issues you experienced during your stay. We strive to provide top rate service and clean, comfortable rooms to all of our guests, I am sorry that we failed to live up to these standards for you. We will utilize your comments during our ongoing staff training in an effort to avoid any similar problems in the future.
Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed 19 June 2014

This hotel is in need of updates, all the tubs were redone with a bath fitter type of system where it goes right over the old one and water gets caught between the new plastic tub and old one underneath and it makes disgusting swooshing noises and dark water sometimes comes out when stepped on, the hotel is right a crossed from the strip club and is full of working girls of which the hotel staff are aware. Diane at the front desk was so rude and told me if I didn't like the accommodations to go someplace else and to top it off I awoke in the night with BED BUGS on me and covered in bites!

Room Tip: Do not stay here!
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
5 Thank M0M0fFOUR
Please accept my apologies for the issues you experienced during your stay. We are regularly updating the hotel and address any maintenance issues, such as the water under the tub liner in your room, as arise – I am sorry that was not noticed and corrected prior to your visit. We are very proactive regarding the issue of bed bugs; our housekeeping staff is trained to identify the issue if introduced to the hotel and we utilize a qualified professional pest management company to ensure any problem is immediately taken care of. We will utilize your comments during our regular staff training in an effort to avoid any similar issues in the future.