“Maine Vacation”

Ramada Plaza Portland
Ranked #14 of 21 Hotels in Portland
Reviewed 3 August 2014

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Ramada
Write a ReviewReviews (1,775)

Reviewed 28 July 2014

The hotel is very clean! I was impressed with the cleanliness! The hotel is a bit dated but clean and and in good working order. The staff was friendly during check in and helpful. The bed was comfortable I slept well.

Reviewed 26 July 2014

Seriously! I didn't even think they existed anymore (no offense intended) -- that was the first surprise. The next was that it was really nice! (again, no offense -- my memories of Howard Johnson's consist of two vague impressions: Miami-Dolphin-blue-and-orange, and something like a see-saw with a cut-out of kid on one end, for a weathervane.) I lucked out with a first-floor room which included a sliding door that opened to a 'patio' with a landscaped grassy strip abutting the parking lot. For someone who appreciates easy access to their vehicle it was fabulous. The room was clean, king bed comfy -- as evidenced by my oversleeping until after 10:00, and then being supremely grateful for the languid 12:00 checkout time! -- and the staff was welcoming, offering coupons to the adjacent restaurant, the separate and and also adjacent bar, and info on the also-also-adjacent breakfast place. There was an indoor pool and a little gym -- I used neither, but others certainly did. Honestly, the only negative I can come up with is that the ice machine on the first floor wasn't working and the only other one was on floor three, but with temperatures in the mid-80s when I was there, that's certainly understandable. It's right off the turnpike (for those of us who have directional impairment despite GPS!) but not close enough that I heard any traffic noise. In sum, HoJo's was a really pleasant surprise. (Full disclosure: I was travelling without my family for the first time in I-can't-remember-how-long so I was experiencing a good deal of appreciation in general, but I still stand by this review!)
* I think they're renaming it soon...

Room Tip: Having only been on floor one and on the 'traffic' side I can't speak for anything else...
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank LarsenWard
Reviewed 22 July 2014

Our stay here was not great. The pool was out of service, the ice machines were all out of service except the third floor, the staff was okay but not the friendliest or most helpful, toilet needed flushed multiple times each time and it wasn't all that clean. You might want to look elsewhere.

1  Thank Leah P
MarkHeisler, General Manager at Ramada Plaza Portland, responded to this reviewResponded 6 August 2014

Please accept my apologies for your less than satisfactory stay with us. We strive to provide a clean room and comfortable stay for all of our guests. I am sorry that we did not meet these standards during your visit. We regret having to close the pool because we know that it is an important feature for many of our guests. It has now reopened with a fresh new look and is ready to enjoy. The ice machine that you referenced has been replaced. I hope that you will give us another opportunity to welcome you and show you the improvements that we have made.

Reviewed 13 July 2014

We spent only a night here on our way from New York to Maine.

The facilities were decent and staff was friendly. We had a clean, comfortable and quiet room (booked via a Hotwire hot-rate deal).

Breakfast was not included unlike in many other Ramada locations. However, the "Egg & I" on the same property has a fantastic breakfast with tons of options.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with friends
2  Thank Debanjan-Dey
Reviewed 30 June 2014

Clean, comfortable, great amenities, and an exceptionally helpful staff. We were really in a pinch and our usual "go to" chain hotels were unavailable. We did a quick review search and decided to give the HoJo a try. We were so happy! Recommended for families, couples, and business travelers.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Anne E
Reviewed 29 June 2014

We stayed here for three nights. The rooms are clean, comfortable and with the usual amenities of a fridge, coffeemaker and microwave. Bathrooms are new and very nice. There is no free breakfast here. The lobby is roomy and comfortable. Décor throughout is very dated, but well maintained. The pool is heated and large; there are also two spa pools which are very welcome.

My only real complaint is the smoking at this "non-smoking" motel. The halls reek of it. I don't know what motels/hotels can do to enforce non-smoking policy, but this Howard Johnson really needs to do something about it.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family