“This is the second time we have stayed at this hotel and we...”

Ramada Plaza Portland
Ranked #12 of 19 Hotels in Portland

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (109)
  • Korean first
Grand Bay, New Brunswick
Reviewed 3 August 2014

This hotel is now the Ramada Plaza. We used it for a two week reverse Park and Fly. The rate was good for the high summer season. They shuttled us to and from the airport. Staff was friendly. The beds were comfortable and the room big enough. Housekeeping left a little to be desired as one of the sinks was clogged and there was hair stuck to the toilet base that did not belong to us but all in all, I've stayed in worse. I would definitely stay here again.

Washington, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 28 July 2014

The hotel is very clean! I was impressed with the cleanliness! The hotel is a bit dated but clean and and in good working order. The staff was friendly during check in and helpful. The bed was comfortable I slept well.

Boston... ish
Reviewed 26 July 2014

Seriously! I didn't even think they existed anymore (no offense intended) -- that was the first surprise. The next was that it was really nice! (again, no offense -- my memories of Howard Johnson's consist of two vague impressions: Miami-Dolphin-blue-and-orange, and something like a see-saw with a cut-out of kid on one end, for a weathervane.) I lucked out with a first-floor room which included a sliding door that opened to a 'patio' with a landscaped grassy strip abutting the parking lot. For someone who appreciates easy access to their vehicle it was fabulous. The room was clean, king bed comfy -- as evidenced by my oversleeping until after 10:00, and then being supremely grateful for the languid 12:00 checkout time! -- and the staff was welcoming, offering coupons to the adjacent restaurant, the separate and and also adjacent bar, and info on the also-also-adjacent breakfast place. There was an indoor pool and a little gym -- I used neither, but others certainly did. Honestly, the only negative I can come up with is that the ice machine on the first floor wasn't working and the only other one was on floor three, but with temperatures in the mid-80s when I was there, that's certainly understandable. It's right off the turnpike (for those of us who have directional impairment despite GPS!) but not close enough that I heard any traffic noise. In sum, HoJo's was a really pleasant surprise. (Full disclosure: I was travelling without my family for the first time in I-can't-remember-how-long so I was experiencing a good deal of appreciation in general, but I still stand by this review!)
* I think they're renaming it soon...

Room Tip: Having only been on floor one and on the 'traffic' side I can't speak for anything else...
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank LarsenWard
Ottawa, Canada
Reviewed 22 July 2014

Our stay here was not great. The pool was out of service, the ice machines were all out of service except the third floor, the staff was okay but not the friendliest or most helpful, toilet needed flushed multiple times each time and it wasn't all that clean. You might want to look elsewhere.

1 Thank Leah P
MarkHeisler, General Manager at Ramada Plaza Portland, responded to this review, 6 August 2014
Please accept my apologies for your less than satisfactory stay with us. We strive to provide a clean room and comfortable stay for all of our guests. I am sorry that we did not meet these standards during your visit. We regret having to close the pool because we know that it is an important feature for many of our guests. It has now reopened with a fresh new look and is ready to enjoy. The ice machine that you referenced has been replaced. I hope that you will give us another opportunity to welcome you and show you the improvements that we have made.