“I love their Park and Fly!”

Ramada Plaza Portland
Ranked #15 of 20 Hotels in Portland
Reviewed 24 January 2009

This hotel was a very nice surprise. It is older, but well kept and clean. Bed was very comfortable. They offer Park and Fly and the rate is more than fair. They take you to the airport and will even pick you up on your return when you are not going to spend that night! We were gone for 27 days and no extra charge! We are staying again in March. They also have a "Friendly's Restaurant" which was very good.

• Stayed: December 2008, travelled as a couple
1  Thank nononsense42

Reviewed 21 August 2008

My husband and I made a last minute trip to Portland, Maine and had to book a hotel pretty much on the same day we arrived. Felt that we paid more than we would have liked. $160 per night Aghhhh!. Anyway, besides the scary price, we decided we needed the trip away from home. Reception area was nice. Went to the desk and was assigned our no smoking room right away. No more than 5-8 minutes. Arrived at room on first floor. Room smelled a little smokey and musky but as we adjusted, it was ok (we're pretty lenient). Carpet is dark green to hide stuff, but was pretty clean. King size bed was nicely set and linens were clean (just a little wrinkled, who irons anymore right?) We were located right in front of the parking lot but it was quiet both nights we were there. One bonus, jacuzzi bathtub! Normally, we would never sit in the tub at a hotel, but heck who can resist? They provided a bunch of amenities in the bathroom. Just add some body wash into the tub of water and instant bubbles! A HoJo is not a luxury hotel, but with the big ice machine down the hall from us, it was a dream come true. Too many times we've been to a hotel with no ice machines avaliable for self serve. There were also a few vending machines on the first floor if you needed a soda or some snacks at pretty ok prices. This hotel also had a pool & hottub for public use, but we did not test those out. There's a Friendly's pretty much right next to the hotel which is convient for a quick bite. Coffeemaker with some coffee & tea to make was nice since breakfast is not included. All in all, I give it a passing grade. I would book in advance next time to get a better rate though.

• Stayed: August 2008, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 5 January 2008

I stayed at this hotel for one night after booking on the Howard Johnson website, I managed to get a good rate ($80 if I recall) and I had a good stay. The room was clean and quiet, the hotel had all of the amenities I needed (although very basic) and close to the highway. The hotel staff I encountered were very nice and helpful, and check in was very quick. I am looking to book in Portland ME again next month, and it looks like the prices at the HoJo have gone up - the same king bed room I booked for $80 last time is now almost $120, I can't say it's worth $120, but if you're going to pay that much on something simple I would recommend staying at the Hampton Inn instead.

• Stayed: October 2006, travelled on business
Reviewed 7 October 2007

the staff were not friendly, nor helpful about the area
the carpet had only been vacumed in the middle of the floor where a upright vacum could reach......looked like toe nails between the bed and night stand......when i moved a chair , the floor was filthy under it......dust was thick beside the microwave, and on the back of bedposts....looked like they only clean the middle of room.

• Stayed: September 2007, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 9 September 2007

I think this hotel needs a lot of work to achieve a level 3. I only give it a two because 1) The motel has this "old" look about it (but with minor redesigns it could be brought up to a more modern look), 2) I could tell that the halls and our room had been smoked in previously, 3) The furniture, draps, and carpet could use a serious upgrade--you could feel the springs in the beds when you put your knee on them. I suspect if the neighbors were "going at it" at midnight we could have heard everything, 4) The false ceiling in our bathroom was falling apart.

But I would give the motel a 2 because it had more than the bear minimum standards and the room was really big. It worked for our one night stay since we were just passing through, but there is no way I would stay in this motel for another night. We've stayed in AAA one star motels that were far better than this, and less expensive. To me, simply being clean and modern is the objective in a "cheap" motel.

• Stayed: September 2007, travelled with family
Reviewed 3 July 2007

We booked this hotel over the phone after getting their AAA rate online ($117 incl tax.) We were pleasantly surprised by the HoJo Plaza. When I made the reservation, I requested a crib/playpen. At check-in I mentioned this and they said they'd look into it. We brought our first load of bags to the room: no crib. On the way back in with a second load of stuff, I stopped by the front desk to inquire and was told that it was already there--sure enough, when we got back to the room the crib was set up.
Our K-NS room was decent and clean and didn't even smell like smoke. It had a balcony, though the view was of the parking lot and interstate tollbooth. The bathroom was clean and the toilet seat wasn't too rickety. The TV worked well, as did the free wireless.
We enjoyed the good-sized indoor pool. Even more surprising: there were two fully-functional hot tubs, both of which were actually hot! The workout room looked good too.
The location was fine for us (my husband had a business meeting down the street) and it's convenient to the interstate, but it's not in downtown Portland so that could be a drawback for someone else.
There is a Friendly's on site, as well as a family-style steak/seafood restaurant. We had a tired 1yr old in tow so we decided to take the easy way out and dine at the on-site restaurant, Verrillo's. The food was mediocre and overpriced, but our expectations were probably too high in the first place.
Overall, this was a decent hotel--good value, good night's sleep.

• Stayed: July 2007, travelled on business
3  Thank bakebake
Reviewed 30 June 2007

I have an allergy to mold and my two-night stay at this hotel nearly did me in. Everything else was fine…comfortable bed, nice room, decent pool, and a more hospitable staff than most 5-star hotels. The room had a musty smell and I probably should have checked out immediately. I decided to chance it and really paid for it with the worst flare up to my allergy I have ever experienced. If you have allergies, particularly a mold allergy, or are sensitive to smells, I would recommend staying away from this hotel. I switched to the Hilton Garden Inn at the airport and was fine there.

• Stayed: June 2007, travelled with family