Ramada Plaza Portland
US$217
  • Pool
Hyatt Place Portland - Old Port(Portland)(Great Value!)
US$241
Clarion Hotel(Portland)
US$127
US$116
ClarionHotels
Holiday Inn Portland By The Bay(Portland)(Great Value!)
US$148
  • Pool
The Westin Portland Harborview(Portland)(Great Value!)
US$184
US$166
  • Restaurant
  • Room Service
Portland Harbor Hotel(Portland)(Great Value!)
US$195
US$184
Official Hotel
  • Restaurant
US$195
1,811 results
All reviewsseasons restaurantpark and flyroom was cleanrestaurant attachedan older hotelindoor pooleasy accesswould stay againstayed one nightconvenient locationfront desk staffclose to the airportnice staytubshowardturnpikeshuttle
Reviewed 1 June 2009

We only paid about $80 a night for a king room with whirlpool tub so it wasn't too bad however the bed was extremely hard (my Sleep Number is 35 for those of you with Select Comfort beds). The heated pool broke halfway through our stay so everyone crowded into the two tiny hot tubs with their kids (even during the adult swim at 9pm which is clearly posted but never enforced). There is no breakfast as someone else mentioned which is a bit inconvenient but there is a Dunkin Donuts and Denny's down the road. The Friendly's was great but avoid Verrillo's like the plague! The food is subpar and when the waitress asked me how I wanted my turkey cooked (rare, medium, well done etc.) of the Roast Turkey dinner I ordered we nearly ran out of the place. I assume they have decent seafood (just don't ask how it's cooked as the waitresses don't know) but all I can say about the place is I'm glad we weren't poisoned!

The hotel is in the industrial part of town and right off the highway so there's no sightseeing and we were regaled with the muffled thumping of music from the strip club across the street most nights and some days.

The staff was very nice and helpful though and they give you coupons for Friendly's and Verillos. Otherwise the Wok Inn delivers and has awesome chinese food and you do have the option of places that will deliver right to the room. They also have a terrific pet policy. All the rooms are pet friendly and it's only a $50 fee per room which I understand you get back if there's no damage to the room (we asked about it upon check in for a possible future stay with our two dogs).

All in all if you're passing through the area or only staying for a day or two and need a cheap place that takes dogs feel free to stay here, I've seen worst in my travels being a military wife:) Honestly, it's not the best place in the world but it's not the worst either. However, if you're looking for a nice relaxing vacation, visiting kids in college or attending a wedding etc. I suggest looking further north in Freeport or Bath.

• Stayed: May 2009, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 26 May 2009

We decided to book our hotel only when we got to Portland, ME so we visited a few hotels and we were very pleased to choose Howard Johnson Plaza. The hotel is very clean, the staff was friendly and it's well located (short drive to the only shopping mall in Portand). Thanks to a room saver booklet (free at Denny's restaurant), we got a great price! We really enjoyed the indoor pool, hot tub and free wireless high speed internet access. When we asked the front desk for more towels, they were happy to accomodate us. Although the hotel doesn't have a continental breakfast, we received a discount for Friendly's restaurant which is connected to the hotel. Overall the hotel is a great value!

• Stayed: May 2009, travelled with family
Reviewed 14 April 2009

My husband and I needed an away trip for Easter Weekend. It was the first weekend after the loss of my mom. We chose Portland because it seemed to be pet friendly, and we like any chance to travel with our dog Lucky. The first night we got up to Portland somewhat late and Stayed at the Motel 6 for under 50.00. The room was tiny, my husbands legs hung off the bed. Although repainted and very clean bathroom, common areas were not, and seemed like many lived at the hotel (Welfare hotel maybe). In any case Saturday we needed an upgrade. We used the Coupon Saver travel book, and booked a room at Howard Johnsons. Walking into the lobby it was a very nice difference, clean, fire place, internet available. They did require a 50.00 deposit (we used cash) for our Lucky Dog, but it was fully refundable as long as no damage done to the room. The hotel offered an indoor swiming pool and hot tub although we didnt get to check it out, as well as an exersice room. The room itself was high end furniture, if a bit dated. The wallpaper you can consider either traditional decorating or 80's throwback. But the room was very clean, large, and we had a sliding door out to the side parking lot which was very handy for walking our dog. Shortly after arrival someone called to make sure everything was ok (nice touch). It has an italian restaurant attatched to the hotel, with prices comparable to Applebee's or Ruby Tuesdays (which are both in the area) as well as a lounge. We did not try them out, but maybe next time. The cost of the room ended up being 13.00 more than the Bates motel..I mean Motel 6. We will be sure to go again if we can get a similiar rate. I would pay up to 80.00 for this location.

• Stayed: April 2009, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 24 January 2009

This hotel was a very nice surprise. It is older, but well kept and clean. Bed was very comfortable. They offer Park and Fly and the rate is more than fair. They take you to the airport and will even pick you up on your return when you are not going to spend that night! We were gone for 27 days and no extra charge! We are staying again in March. They also have a "Friendly's Restaurant" which was very good.

• Stayed: December 2008, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1  Thank nononsense42
Reviewed 21 August 2008

My husband and I made a last minute trip to Portland, Maine and had to book a hotel pretty much on the same day we arrived. Felt that we paid more than we would have liked. $160 per night Aghhhh!. Anyway, besides the scary price, we decided we needed the trip away from home. Reception area was nice. Went to the desk and was assigned our no smoking room right away. No more than 5-8 minutes. Arrived at room on first floor. Room smelled a little smokey and musky but as we adjusted, it was ok (we're pretty lenient). Carpet is dark green to hide stuff, but was pretty clean. King size bed was nicely set and linens were clean (just a little wrinkled, who irons anymore right?) We were located right in front of the parking lot but it was quiet both nights we were there. One bonus, jacuzzi bathtub! Normally, we would never sit in the tub at a hotel, but heck who can resist? They provided a bunch of amenities in the bathroom. Just add some body wash into the tub of water and instant bubbles! A HoJo is not a luxury hotel, but with the big ice machine down the hall from us, it was a dream come true. Too many times we've been to a hotel with no ice machines avaliable for self serve. There were also a few vending machines on the first floor if you needed a soda or some snacks at pretty ok prices. This hotel also had a pool & hottub for public use, but we did not test those out. There's a Friendly's pretty much right next to the hotel which is convient for a quick bite. Coffeemaker with some coffee & tea to make was nice since breakfast is not included. All in all, I give it a passing grade. I would book in advance next time to get a better rate though.

• Stayed: August 2008, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)