“Nice hotel but nothing special”

Ramada Plaza Portland
Ranked #12 of 19 Hotels in Portland
San Francisco, CA
“Nice hotel but nothing special”
Reviewed 6 July 2006

Stayed at the HoJo Plaza Portland for one night in June 2006. There were several good things about the hotel: It was very easy to access the hotel from the freeway. Free and plentiful parking. Friendly and helpful staff who were attentive to questions. Internet station in lobby to check email. Two adjacent restaurants and plenty of other restaurants and shops within walking or driving distance. (The steakhouse was delicious and inexpensive for a huge 4 course prime rib special). Large, cozy, iinviting lobby with tons of places to sit and watch TV and enjoy a beautiful fireplace. Room was average size, but clean and cozy. Price was right at about $75 per night. Now for the downsides. The hotel is about a 10 minute ride from all of the downtown/waterfront excitement and if you drive you have to pay to park your car downtown. (But you'll probably have to pay two to three times the price for the downtown hotels, so which is better? I'm not sure.) The rooms on the main floor all have sliding glass doors which directly face parked cars with people getting in and out of their cars, so you have no privacy/safety whatsoever unless you close your sliding door AND the shade. I felt confined in the room and prefer a window that can be left open for fresh air. (I actually checked out of the hotel one night early because I didn't like having to always close the shade and sliding door.) Maybe to avoid this you could requet a room on the second floor. Also bothersome was the fact that no free continental breakfast was offered--on my trip covering 10 states I stayed in about 14 hotels and this was the only one not offering any sort of breakfast. I guess I'm used to that amenity. Lastly, the indoor pool area was not inviting, but rather stuffy and hot. Overall there were no major problems with the hotel itself but I would not stay again. Please email with questions!

• Stayed June 2006
1 Thank JenPerna

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (109)
  • Korean first
Cape Elizabeth, Maine
Reviewed 22 June 2006

This place is far from Portland, pretty close to the Portland Airport ( but there are several closer), I just don't know how this hotel is rated so high here. Cheap rates are good but location and quality mean more to me. I thought this place was going to be better. I am visiting this friend from Cape Elizabeth and he imediately told me to change to the Hilton or Regency in town, boy was he every right. Much more convienient to shops, bars, eating and sights. If you are just passing through and need a place to dive for the night this place is fine, otherwise stay "in" Portland, or "at" the airport.

• Stayed March 2006
2 Thank Jollydodger
Napa, CA
Reviewed 15 May 2006

Stayed 2 nights, 5/5 & 5/6. I would seek out something better next time I return to Portland, ME. Easy on and off the freeway (95) and the staff was very friendly and accomodating. The hotel has renovated and is now a completely non-smoking hotel. Unfortunately, the halls still smell of smoke and our bedspread had cigarette burns..ugh. Even though the rooms are completely non-smoking, I overheard the front desk clerk assure a smoker that "smoking on his balcony would be absolutely ok". Well, if you really want non-smoking, you don't want someone's smoke drifting over to your balcony.

There is an indoor pool and 2 jacuzzi's. We took a look and felt they looked grungy and uniniviting. The full service restaurant, connected to the hotel by a covered hallway, is just ok. We had a mediocre dinner there one night. The lounge had a pretty good blues band on Friday night, with a small crowd. Overall an average place to stay.

2 Thank NapaNomad
Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed 27 April 2006

My wife and I traveled to Maine with our daughter to see our son in college. After an on-line search, my wife concluded that the Howard Johnson Plaza hotel in Portland would be the best for us in terms of price, location and amenities. I, on the other hand, was skeptical. The chain has had a checkered past in the industry, but was I utterly amazed. Easy access off the Interstate, a very good price, oversized and attractive room, great lobby (with a lit double-sided fireplace), free Internet and internal access to an adjacent Friendly's Restaurant. I was sold on the place. As I was writing this, a maintenance man walked by, noticed a ceiling tile slightly out of place and remarked to himself, "What is this?" and then proceeded to fix it. Put this place on your map. We'll be coming back when our plans call for it! All thumbs UP!

1 Thank Ron8
Londonderry, NH
Reviewed 25 April 2006

OK -- booked on price, quite reasonable at $69 per night. Just wanted a quick getaway and the indoor pool was a draw. However, while the pool temperature was a comfortable 85 degrees (on a 40 degree night), the air temperature was so cold that our lips turned blue after 15 minutes. Our "standard" room had suspended ceilings -- so low that my 6 foot tall son would bump his head in the shower stall. While our room was newly refurbished; i.e. new wallpaper, the carpet had seen better days. Our non-smoking room was one door down from the smoking section and the the hallway reeked of cigarette smoke. All the inside doors were sticky to the touch. The toilet seemed to not be vented properly and lifting the lid released some toxic septic smell.
Bottom line, if price is an issue, it's an OK place to rest your head -- clean sheets and towels and not much else.

2 Thank Denise-TRIP
Jamestown, RI
Reviewed 19 March 2006

Stayed one night at the Howard Johnson for the Maine Boatbuilder show. The room was very acceptable, clean, not worn, and the bathroom was fine but snug.
The heating unit was very loud, and every time it cycled on it drowned out the television. The front parking lot filled up quickly, and hiking around the building in 21 degree weather from the back lot was not a lot of fun. However, the price was reasonable and the room was fine. The Friendly's restaurant attached to the motel was very understaffed and service was interminable, but that may have been a one-time occurrence.

• Stayed March 2006
3 Thank On-the-Move-RI
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 12 February 2006

After having a bad experience at another hotel that night the Howard Johnson was very friendly and clean. We were more then impressed with their service and their price of the hotel for the two nights that we were there. An added bonus was that they had internet service available to their customers. We had an excellent stay and I would recommend this to any one who wants a clean bed, friendly staff, and reasonable rates to stay here. Thanks Howard Johnston, I will be staying again soon!

• Stayed November 2005