“Mold allergy? Stay Away.”

Ramada Plaza Portland
Ranked #14 of 20 Hotels in Portland
Reviewed 30 June 2007

I have an allergy to mold and my two-night stay at this hotel nearly did me in. Everything else was fine…comfortable bed, nice room, decent pool, and a more hospitable staff than most 5-star hotels. The room had a musty smell and I probably should have checked out immediately. I decided to chance it and really paid for it with the worst flare up to my allergy I have ever experienced. If you have allergies, particularly a mold allergy, or are sensitive to smells, I would recommend staying away from this hotel. I switched to the Hilton Garden Inn at the airport and was fine there.

• Stayed: June 2007, travelled with family
2  Thank RainingAgain
Write a ReviewReviews (1,760)

Reviewed 18 June 2007

I stay here when ever I am in Portland. The rooms are clean and the staff is always friendly and helpful. If you stay here often you can join their GIGS program and save on your room and earn free nights. They are remodeling and the changes are very nice.
I would highly recomment this hotel.

• Stayed: May 2007, travelled on business
1  Thank bdswallow
Reviewed 11 November 2006

The Portland area has two Howard Johnson's. The other one is in South Portland on US 1, and this one is just off of i-95 on Portland's west side. The price I paid, in the mid-$60s, was reasonable, and I was happy with my stay. It's not located in a beautiful area; this part of Portland is very commercial, so the views out the window weren't spectacular (my view included Platinum Plus, Maine's most famous "adult entertainment" venue). However, this does mean that it is convenient to the freeway, gas stations, restaurants and shopping. The hotel was a bit understaffed, but the staff working tried hard to be helpful, and delivered on my request for an early morning wakeup call. My room was mostly very clean, though a bit more vacuuuming on the side of the bed would have been desirable. Everything in the room worked well,and the TV had good reception and a good range of channels. The hotel is not the newest in town; it seems to have dated from the 1960s, and a few things, such as some of the hallway doors, could stand replacement. Overall, however, it had certainly been recently remodeled, and an in an attractive way. I liked my room. The lobby sells postcards of the area and local newspapers. The pool was pleasant, and there are also two hot tubs available and a weight room (both the pool and weight room are open from 7 am to 10 pm).

Inside the building are two restaurants: Verillo's Restaurant and Conference Center, and Friendly's. I ws the first customer for breakfast at Friendly's when they opened at 6 am.

Overall, there's nothing particularly spectacular about this place, but it's a better than average Howard Johnson and I would be happy to stay there again.

• Stayed: October 2006, travelled on business
5  Thank Badgerjim
Reviewed 24 July 2006

The service at this HOJO was very good. Our non-smoking room smelled like smoke when we first walked in, but they quickly gave us another one and apologized profusely. They called our new room to double check that everything was okay, then asked us in person the next time we went through the lobby. They seemed very concerned that we were happy. It's not their fault that some idiot smoked in a non-smoking room, so we didn't hold it against them.

This hotel is not fancy, it's quite average really. I thought it would be closer to downtown Portland, but it only took about 10-15 minutes to get downtown. Not a big deal for us, and we only hit a bit of traffic once during our 4 days in Portland. This HOJO is close to the airport, so it would be great for business. Portland is not an easy city to drive in if you're not familiar with it, but with a map from the hotel lobby, we did okay.

We didn't actually eat at Verrillo's, the hotel restaurant, so I can't comment on that. However, Friendly's restaurant is attached to the HOJO, so you can just walk through the lobby to get there. There's also an Applebee's and a Quizno's nearby.

I gave this hotel a 4 star rating because of the service. The actual hotel was not spectacular, but not a dump either. The photos of the pool at the HOJO website make it look bigger than it really is, but it wasn't a big deal as we were the only ones there. The bathroom in our room didn't have a fan, which I feel is a necessity. The room was clean though, which is the most important feature to me.

• Stayed: July 2006, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Trave1Bug
A TripAdvisor Member
Boston
Reviewed 14 July 2006

As a business traveler, I cover too many miles, and I’m always grateful when I find a decent motel or hotel that fits my needs. This Portland hotel definitely does that—easy parking, a really nice staff—always helpful. Don’t even wait to get to my room—gratefully use the Internet station right in the lobby as soon as I arrive, just to sure my kids are OK. Agree with others that the restaurant doesn’t disappoint. solid quality for a moderate bill. Yeah, free continental breakfast would be welcome, but decent real breakfast is always so close on my way, lots of choices. I don’t need historic details and parking at hysterical prices—HoJo will always see my 3x a year in Portland!!

ESM . Boston

• Stayed: June 2006, travelled on business
2  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 6 July 2006

Stayed at the HoJo Plaza Portland for one night in June 2006. There were several good things about the hotel: It was very easy to access the hotel from the freeway. Free and plentiful parking. Friendly and helpful staff who were attentive to questions. Internet station in lobby to check email. Two adjacent restaurants and plenty of other restaurants and shops within walking or driving distance. (The steakhouse was delicious and inexpensive for a huge 4 course prime rib special). Large, cozy, iinviting lobby with tons of places to sit and watch TV and enjoy a beautiful fireplace. Room was average size, but clean and cozy. Price was right at about $75 per night. Now for the downsides. The hotel is about a 10 minute ride from all of the downtown/waterfront excitement and if you drive you have to pay to park your car downtown. (But you'll probably have to pay two to three times the price for the downtown hotels, so which is better? I'm not sure.) The rooms on the main floor all have sliding glass doors which directly face parked cars with people getting in and out of their cars, so you have no privacy/safety whatsoever unless you close your sliding door AND the shade. I felt confined in the room and prefer a window that can be left open for fresh air. (I actually checked out of the hotel one night early because I didn't like having to always close the shade and sliding door.) Maybe to avoid this you could requet a room on the second floor. Also bothersome was the fact that no free continental breakfast was offered--on my trip covering 10 states I stayed in about 14 hotels and this was the only one not offering any sort of breakfast. I guess I'm used to that amenity. Lastly, the indoor pool area was not inviting, but rather stuffy and hot. Overall there were no major problems with the hotel itself but I would not stay again. Please email with questions!

• Stayed: June 2006
1  Thank JenPerna
Reviewed 22 June 2006

This place is far from Portland, pretty close to the Portland Airport ( but there are several closer), I just don't know how this hotel is rated so high here. Cheap rates are good but location and quality mean more to me. I thought this place was going to be better. I am visiting this friend from Cape Elizabeth and he imediately told me to change to the Hilton or Regency in town, boy was he every right. Much more convienient to shops, bars, eating and sights. If you are just passing through and need a place to dive for the night this place is fine, otherwise stay "in" Portland, or "at" the airport.

• Stayed: March 2006