“Rated Too High!”

Ramada Plaza Portland
Ranked #14 of 21 Hotels in Portland
Reviewed 9 September 2007

I think this hotel needs a lot of work to achieve a level 3. I only give it a two because 1) The motel has this "old" look about it (but with minor redesigns it could be brought up to a more modern look), 2) I could tell that the halls and our room had been smoked in previously, 3) The furniture, draps, and carpet could use a serious upgrade--you could feel the springs in the beds when you put your knee on them. I suspect if the neighbors were "going at it" at midnight we could have heard everything, 4) The false ceiling in our bathroom was falling apart.

But I would give the motel a 2 because it had more than the bear minimum standards and the room was really big. It worked for our one night stay since we were just passing through, but there is no way I would stay in this motel for another night. We've stayed in AAA one star motels that were far better than this, and less expensive. To me, simply being clean and modern is the objective in a "cheap" motel.

• Stayed: September 2007, travelled with family
    • Check-in / front desk
Write a ReviewReviews (1,776)

Reviewed 3 July 2007

We booked this hotel over the phone after getting their AAA rate online ($117 incl tax.) We were pleasantly surprised by the HoJo Plaza. When I made the reservation, I requested a crib/playpen. At check-in I mentioned this and they said they'd look into it. We brought our first load of bags to the room: no crib. On the way back in with a second load of stuff, I stopped by the front desk to inquire and was told that it was already there--sure enough, when we got back to the room the crib was set up.
Our K-NS room was decent and clean and didn't even smell like smoke. It had a balcony, though the view was of the parking lot and interstate tollbooth. The bathroom was clean and the toilet seat wasn't too rickety. The TV worked well, as did the free wireless.
We enjoyed the good-sized indoor pool. Even more surprising: there were two fully-functional hot tubs, both of which were actually hot! The workout room looked good too.
The location was fine for us (my husband had a business meeting down the street) and it's convenient to the interstate, but it's not in downtown Portland so that could be a drawback for someone else.
There is a Friendly's on site, as well as a family-style steak/seafood restaurant. We had a tired 1yr old in tow so we decided to take the easy way out and dine at the on-site restaurant, Verrillo's. The food was mediocre and overpriced, but our expectations were probably too high in the first place.
Overall, this was a decent hotel--good value, good night's sleep.

• Stayed: July 2007, travelled on business
3  Thank bakebake
Reviewed 30 June 2007

I have an allergy to mold and my two-night stay at this hotel nearly did me in. Everything else was fine…comfortable bed, nice room, decent pool, and a more hospitable staff than most 5-star hotels. The room had a musty smell and I probably should have checked out immediately. I decided to chance it and really paid for it with the worst flare up to my allergy I have ever experienced. If you have allergies, particularly a mold allergy, or are sensitive to smells, I would recommend staying away from this hotel. I switched to the Hilton Garden Inn at the airport and was fine there.

• Stayed: June 2007, travelled with family
2  Thank RainingAgain
Reviewed 18 June 2007

I stay here when ever I am in Portland. The rooms are clean and the staff is always friendly and helpful. If you stay here often you can join their GIGS program and save on your room and earn free nights. They are remodeling and the changes are very nice.
I would highly recomment this hotel.

• Stayed: May 2007, travelled on business
1  Thank bdswallow
Reviewed 11 November 2006

The Portland area has two Howard Johnson's. The other one is in South Portland on US 1, and this one is just off of i-95 on Portland's west side. The price I paid, in the mid-$60s, was reasonable, and I was happy with my stay. It's not located in a beautiful area; this part of Portland is very commercial, so the views out the window weren't spectacular (my view included Platinum Plus, Maine's most famous "adult entertainment" venue). However, this does mean that it is convenient to the freeway, gas stations, restaurants and shopping. The hotel was a bit understaffed, but the staff working tried hard to be helpful, and delivered on my request for an early morning wakeup call. My room was mostly very clean, though a bit more vacuuuming on the side of the bed would have been desirable. Everything in the room worked well,and the TV had good reception and a good range of channels. The hotel is not the newest in town; it seems to have dated from the 1960s, and a few things, such as some of the hallway doors, could stand replacement. Overall, however, it had certainly been recently remodeled, and an in an attractive way. I liked my room. The lobby sells postcards of the area and local newspapers. The pool was pleasant, and there are also two hot tubs available and a weight room (both the pool and weight room are open from 7 am to 10 pm).

Inside the building are two restaurants: Verillo's Restaurant and Conference Center, and Friendly's. I ws the first customer for breakfast at Friendly's when they opened at 6 am.

Overall, there's nothing particularly spectacular about this place, but it's a better than average Howard Johnson and I would be happy to stay there again.

• Stayed: October 2006, travelled on business
5  Thank Badgerjim
Reviewed 24 July 2006

The service at this HOJO was very good. Our non-smoking room smelled like smoke when we first walked in, but they quickly gave us another one and apologized profusely. They called our new room to double check that everything was okay, then asked us in person the next time we went through the lobby. They seemed very concerned that we were happy. It's not their fault that some idiot smoked in a non-smoking room, so we didn't hold it against them.

This hotel is not fancy, it's quite average really. I thought it would be closer to downtown Portland, but it only took about 10-15 minutes to get downtown. Not a big deal for us, and we only hit a bit of traffic once during our 4 days in Portland. This HOJO is close to the airport, so it would be great for business. Portland is not an easy city to drive in if you're not familiar with it, but with a map from the hotel lobby, we did okay.

We didn't actually eat at Verrillo's, the hotel restaurant, so I can't comment on that. However, Friendly's restaurant is attached to the HOJO, so you can just walk through the lobby to get there. There's also an Applebee's and a Quizno's nearby.

I gave this hotel a 4 star rating because of the service. The actual hotel was not spectacular, but not a dump either. The photos of the pool at the HOJO website make it look bigger than it really is, but it wasn't a big deal as we were the only ones there. The bathroom in our room didn't have a fan, which I feel is a necessity. The room was clean though, which is the most important feature to me.

• Stayed: July 2006, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Trave1Bug
A TripAdvisor Member
Boston
Reviewed 14 July 2006

As a business traveler, I cover too many miles, and I’m always grateful when I find a decent motel or hotel that fits my needs. This Portland hotel definitely does that—easy parking, a really nice staff—always helpful. Don’t even wait to get to my room—gratefully use the Internet station right in the lobby as soon as I arrive, just to sure my kids are OK. Agree with others that the restaurant doesn’t disappoint. solid quality for a moderate bill. Yeah, free continental breakfast would be welcome, but decent real breakfast is always so close on my way, lots of choices. I don’t need historic details and parking at hysterical prices—HoJo will always see my 3x a year in Portland!!

ESM . Boston