“Good value and location”

Ramada Plaza Portland
Ranked #15 of 20 Hotels in Portland
Halifax, Canada
“Good value and location”
Reviewed 16 December 2010

The room was clean and very quiet; I had two very relaxing nights in a comfortable bed here early in December. Unfortunately, the pool was closed for painting; it would have been nice to know that in advance. And they do not offer breakfast. Wireless internet was free, but very slow. But the location is great and the price is very attractive. One word of warning: don't eat at the Friendly's next door. I ate there twice and the service was unbelievably bad.

• Stayed December 2010, travelled solo

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (118)
  • Korean first
Maryland
Reviewed 13 December 2010

We stayed for 3 nights as we were visiting relatives in Portland. The front desk staff and housekeeping staff were very friendly and helpful. It is right off I95 which makes it very convenient. The most important item in any stay for us is cleanliness and this hotel gets an A+++++ There are 2 restaurants connected to the hotel via walkways which makes it very convenient in the winter time. They do not offer complimentary breakfasts or coffee/tea in the lobby (there is a mini coffee maker in the rooms) so the restaurants are handy.

• Stayed December 2010, travelled as a couple
Morristown, New Jersey
Reviewed 11 December 2010

I've stayed here 3 times now in the last 3 months, all times with my husband and dog. I've had a very pleasant experience each time and the rates are extremely reasonable. Once I even left my brand new jacket there accidently and by the time I realized it, it was a month later. I was shocked and thrilled when I called the hotel and they said they still had it and would gladly send it to me! Furthermore, the staff is so friendly, helpful and willing to work with you. Would certainly recommend it!!

• Stayed November 2010, travelled on business
Halifax, Nova Scotia
Reviewed 9 December 2010

This was my 3rd time staying here in the past 13 months. It has clean rooms. Extra mirror and sink outside of the bathroom comes in handy when one is showering and the other person is trying to get ready. The lobby is nicely decorated. Friendly's is attached to the hotel which comes in handy. The staff is great. Each year I email to have a thanksgiving day paper set aside for me for the ads. When I arrive the paper is waiting for me. Only 10 minutes drive to the mall and other major shopping. Kohl's is down the street. Will definately stay here again. Great value.

• Stayed November 2010, travelled with friends
Ft. Lauderdale, FL
Reviewed 2 December 2010

This hotel is exceptionally well maintained. The staff is courteous and efficient. The room was immaculate. I usually stay at another hotel in downtown Portland that is much more expensive. However, on my next trip to Portland I will stay again at the Howard Johnson Plaza Portland because I had such a good experience there & it is less expensive! I also loved the lobby with the fireplace buring. It was warm and inviting. Thank you for a great experience! Ann in Ft. Lauderdale, FL

• Stayed November 2010, travelled solo
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 22 October 2010

First of all, this hotel was a bargain. Compared to other hotels on our holiday, it was easily the cheapest and served our purposes well for a one-night stop on our way between Boston and Acadia National Park.
The room was spacious, equipped with everything that was required and the welcome was friendly and efficient. The room safe was inoperative when we checked in but within 10 minutes it had been attended to - far quicker response than many higher quality hotels.
Never having stayed at a HJP before, we quickly realised that they were sited and suited for the Interstate driver more than the city by which they are named. Consequently, on a very rainy night, it was pretty difficult to find downtown Portland from the I-95 intersection on the edge of town - and even more challenging to find the way back after dinner! But we managed and that's not the hotel's fault.
So a perfect place to stop if you're using it as a one-night stop, but if you want to walk out of the hotel into downtown, not ideal.

• Stayed September 2010, travelled as a couple
Boston
Reviewed 20 October 2010

Unfortunately hotels close to the cool parts of portland are extremely expensive. This one didn't seem that far on the map but its at least a 10 minute drive (certainly not walkable). The hotel bar was very retro but they gave us a free app and were friendly so no complaints there. Rooms had everything you would need although the carpets felt a bit grimy. I guess that is to be expected if its just getting vacuumed.
You know what you are getting into when you stay at a discount chain. It was an inexpensive way to visit portland but not a place we would spend any more time than we would need to at.

• Stayed August 2010, travelled as a couple