“Not the best place if you're a single travelor”
Review of Inn at Portland

Inn at Portland
Ranked #19 of 20 Hotels in Portland
Reviewed 21 October 2012

The Front Desk Clerk was very nice and helpful. After checking in, and looking at our room, we decided not to stay at this particular Inn. The motel was located in the back of a restuarant. When we drove around to the back, there were several vehicles with people lounging around, playing music. Another vehicle had a man just sitting and smoking. When we came back out 30 minutes later, they were still there. A concern of people just hanging out, especially when we were to come back later at night. Lighting above the outside door dim, and no parking lot lighting. Inside the hall lights also dim. The room had an unpleasant smell - musty , smoky even though it was a non-smoking room. The lighting in the room was dim, the doors seems not so solid, and could easlily hear people coming and going and conversations in the hall and other rooms. The refrigerator had rust on the bottom and smelled musty. This mostly was a safety concern for two single women who would be returning later in the evening, no other businesses around and the main office set apart from the main complex, up front. THe clerk was understanding of our request to change our minds and find another hotel. He stated 100 % satisfaction guarentee. and Was pleasant and polite about this. not a good choice even for the price which was $109 for a Saturday night.

Room Tip: Go up the road and get a different hotel..
  • Stayed: October 2012, travelled with family
There are newer reviews for Inn at Portland

Reviewed 27 September 2012

We were arriving close to midnight into the Portland airport and just wanted an inexpensive bed to rest for the remainder of the night. I was very concerned after reading the mixed reviews and dreaded spending our last vacation night here. Our luggage was delayed; I realized the Front Desk would be closing at Midnight; I called immediately. The Gentleman said not to worry, he would wait for us to arrive and did; we were grateful. The reception desk was easy to find but the motel itself is behind a Chinese Restaurant. It looks like the type of place where rooms might be rented for a couple hours at a time if you know what I mean... Walls were pretty thin, we could hear people coming and going into the early morning hours. I was paranoid I'd find bedbugs; I put my luggage in the tub, pulled back and inspected the sheets and everything seemed fine. The room smelled old and musty prompting me to open the sliding window, the latch was broken off but it opened. There was no window screen so instead we turned on the air conditioner and hit the bed. Unfortunately, the a.c. was so noisy we turned it off and opted for the screenless window; hoping no flying creatures would visit.

The sheets were crisp and clean and the room was as clean as housekeeping could make it; but frankly NOTHING in the room had been updated (I'm guessing) in well over 30 years. On the positive; good water pressure, hot water in the bath, and late checkout.

As I mentioned; you get what you pay for; we paid $58 and thought that was about what the room was worth. I wouldn't stay there again though.

Room Tip: Good for a couple hours rest; nothing more.
  • Stayed: September 2012, travelled as a couple
3  Thank MiaVal
Reviewed 22 August 2012

We stayed here on our way home from a vacation in Central Maine. Although no frills, we had a clean, good sized, comfortable room. I feel this was good value for the price. A restaurant is in front of the property, and it is a convenient location.
The desk clerk was very friendly, and the WIFI and everything in the room worked well. It is not an upscale hotel with an upscale price; but it suits a purpose for one night.

Room Tip: Check out potential lodging on the internet for the room types offered. Many rooms with one bed are...
  • Stayed: August 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Dunmore_PATeacher41
Reviewed 16 August 2012

This is a no frills place, to be sure, but not the house of horrors others have described. The front desk person was pleasant. TV and WiFi worked well. I purchased Glade on the road because of the bad smells others described, but I didn't need to use it. Bedding and bathroom were clean. Carpet was old and had some stains, but the room was decent overall. I didn't feel unsafe. If you want to save money for other vacation activities, consider this place.

Stayed: August 2012, travelled solo
2  Thank Marian C
Reviewed 6 August 2012

I agree with the other reviews posted here. I only stayed here because I could not find another room for one night in Portland during the middle of summer season. The room was not that cheap $138 with tax but the clerk at the front desk was very nice. After checking in, you drive around to the back of a restaurant where there are several buildings with hotel rooms in them. The common areas are disgusting. The rooms aren't horrible, but the carpet and bedspreads are old. The locks are suspicious, and I was afraid my room would be broken into and my car would be gone in the morning. I would only stay here if I was desparate.

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled solo
1  Thank Soxgirl0407
Reviewed 23 January 2012

I stayed here because it was the only room I could find on short notice before an unexpected trip to Portland. I'm not a very picky person, and have lived/traveled all over the world, but this was a uniquely bad experience. On the positive side, the receptionist at the front desk was very pleasant and prompt, and the water pressure in the shower was OK. Unfortunately, the rest of the hotel is extremely sketchy - the rooms are in a side building overlooking a dank parking lot, the entrances do not seem secure at all, the stairwells and corridors are like something out of a bad horror movie, and my room - while large - was dirty and musty, with only one working electrical outlet. It's hard to imagine what the owners/managers are thinking - I can't believe I paid the same rate here as I had for a room in a lovely B&B down the coast on the previous night. I would highly recommend taking any other option (car camping, paying more elsewhere, or going further out of town) rather than staying here.

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled solo
3  Thank fortunatetraveler71
Reviewed 12 September 2011

The motel is cheap, but one should not stay there.The room we had smelled so bad, that it was hard to stand. As it was a late arrival, we did not want to complain and search for another place.
In addition: everyone can enter the building on the side entries, which does not make one feel safe. The aircondition was way too loud to be kept on.
Wireless was not working during our stay.

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled with friends