“Just plain Bad!”
Review of Inn at Portland

Inn at Portland
Ranked #20 of 20 Hotels in Portland
Reviewed 27 July 2013

This place was horrific, and we stayed only because there wasn't any other places available. During our two day stay in Maine there happened to be something going on, and all the hotels and inns were full booked. The Inn at Portland was the first one in about 100 miles radius to have vacancys and it was getting late. We paid 140 dollars for a room witch stank of mold! The inn was located behind a restaurant (seemed more like a bar) and a smoke shop. Very dark, no one around. The only place during our two week road trip in the northeast USA and Canada where we actually felt like we could be robbed any time.

There was also a trap of some kind outside our window. Don't know if they very trying to catch a raccoon or a giant rat. Don't even want to know!

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple
3  Thank XharryW

Reviewed 2 July 2013

My husband and i stayed her YEARS ago, around 1997 or so and sadly the nastiness of the place then hasnt improved over the years. Apparently since our last visit it has been a "Ramada Limited", "Roadway Inn", and a couple of other names to boot before reverting back to the Inn At Portland name. Cleanliness is at an all time low and hallways wreak of smoke and garbage cans overflowing. Its very creepy at night as its terribly lit in the parking lot. How this place survived ill never know. It needs a good cleaning and or wrecking ball. Yuck!

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple
4  Thank Tamara S
Reviewed 18 February 2013

Driving back from Sunday River Ski Area, we decided to split our journey home in two.

After staying here... I kind of wished we kept driving.

Part of that reason.... was the fact that we woke up the next morning to blizzard conditions, and driving home the night before would have beaten mother nature, but we decided we would get a good night's sleep and continue our journey in the morning. We tried to save a few bucks, and chose this hotel.

A good night's sleep?

The first thing we noticed... was a head shop right behind the office. Then we had a little trouble finding the hotel, as it is behind a Chinese restaurant, and not all that well lit. The location didn't look all that safe because of the way it was hidden, and not well lit. We didn't have to worry about safety... there was barely anybody staying there. The hotel is in a state of disrepair. Old heating units pulled out and stored in the hallway, and the small of cigarettes. Nice! So far, this was the scariest hotel I had ever stayed in!

Then we discovered our hotel key card did not work. We went back to the office and got on that did work (Gee... thanks for the extra effort!). Upon entering our "non-smoking" room, we noticed the stale cigarette smell was still present, and the carpets looked pretty grody. Our room was FREEZING cold! We cranked the heat, but it took a long time to warm it up. Using things like a blow drier set on high for 15 minutes, and ironing the sheets of the bed to warm it up are not things anybody should have to do in a hotel, but this place was so cold, I will bet morgues are warmer! The room itself was fairly clean. We checked the sheets and inspected the mattress. No bed bugs! Yay! The bed itself was very uncomfortable. I did not get a good night's sleep at all, which negated stopping almost completely.

The room is fairly large, and there was a sitting area with two chairs, a lamp, a small fridge, and a table. Not well laid out, but at least it was next to the heater!

Peeling wallpaper around the odd sink, ugly bathroom tiles showing signs of serious wear, but at least the shower/tub looked fairly new.

I would give it 1 1/2 stars (or less) but the fact that it wasn't filthy in our room, we didn't get robbed, and there were no bedbugs... I will reluctantly give it two stars. I don't suggest you stay here, as there must be better choices for only slightly more money. But it you have to save every penny possible, go at your own risk.

You can buy a bong before you get back on the highway... if that's your thing.

Room Tip: Pray to the god of your choice, and hope for the best afterward.
  • Stayed: February 2013, travelled on business
2  Thank PFandtheFlyers
Reviewed 21 October 2012

The Front Desk Clerk was very nice and helpful. After checking in, and looking at our room, we decided not to stay at this particular Inn. The motel was located in the back of a restuarant. When we drove around to the back, there were several vehicles with people lounging around, playing music. Another vehicle had a man just sitting and smoking. When we came back out 30 minutes later, they were still there. A concern of people just hanging out, especially when we were to come back later at night. Lighting above the outside door dim, and no parking lot lighting. Inside the hall lights also dim. The room had an unpleasant smell - musty , smoky even though it was a non-smoking room. The lighting in the room was dim, the doors seems not so solid, and could easlily hear people coming and going and conversations in the hall and other rooms. The refrigerator had rust on the bottom and smelled musty. This mostly was a safety concern for two single women who would be returning later in the evening, no other businesses around and the main office set apart from the main complex, up front. THe clerk was understanding of our request to change our minds and find another hotel. He stated 100 % satisfaction guarentee. and Was pleasant and polite about this. not a good choice even for the price which was $109 for a Saturday night.

Room Tip: Go up the road and get a different hotel..
  • Stayed: October 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 27 September 2012

We were arriving close to midnight into the Portland airport and just wanted an inexpensive bed to rest for the remainder of the night. I was very concerned after reading the mixed reviews and dreaded spending our last vacation night here. Our luggage was delayed; I realized the Front Desk would be closing at Midnight; I called immediately. The Gentleman said not to worry, he would wait for us to arrive and did; we were grateful. The reception desk was easy to find but the motel itself is behind a Chinese Restaurant. It looks like the type of place where rooms might be rented for a couple hours at a time if you know what I mean... Walls were pretty thin, we could hear people coming and going into the early morning hours. I was paranoid I'd find bedbugs; I put my luggage in the tub, pulled back and inspected the sheets and everything seemed fine. The room smelled old and musty prompting me to open the sliding window, the latch was broken off but it opened. There was no window screen so instead we turned on the air conditioner and hit the bed. Unfortunately, the a.c. was so noisy we turned it off and opted for the screenless window; hoping no flying creatures would visit.

The sheets were crisp and clean and the room was as clean as housekeeping could make it; but frankly NOTHING in the room had been updated (I'm guessing) in well over 30 years. On the positive; good water pressure, hot water in the bath, and late checkout.

As I mentioned; you get what you pay for; we paid $58 and thought that was about what the room was worth. I wouldn't stay there again though.

Room Tip: Good for a couple hours rest; nothing more.
  • Stayed: September 2012, travelled as a couple
3  Thank MiaVal
Reviewed 22 August 2012

We stayed here on our way home from a vacation in Central Maine. Although no frills, we had a clean, good sized, comfortable room. I feel this was good value for the price. A restaurant is in front of the property, and it is a convenient location.
The desk clerk was very friendly, and the WIFI and everything in the room worked well. It is not an upscale hotel with an upscale price; but it suits a purpose for one night.

Room Tip: Check out potential lodging on the internet for the room types offered. Many rooms with one bed are...
  • Stayed: August 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Dunmore_PATeacher41
Reviewed 16 August 2012

This is a no frills place, to be sure, but not the house of horrors others have described. The front desk person was pleasant. TV and WiFi worked well. I purchased Glade on the road because of the bad smells others described, but I didn't need to use it. Bedding and bathroom were clean. Carpet was old and had some stains, but the room was decent overall. I didn't feel unsafe. If you want to save money for other vacation activities, consider this place.

Stayed: August 2012, travelled solo