“Dirty Horrible Place”

Ranked #18 of 19 Hotels in Portland
A TripAdvisor Member
“Dirty Horrible Place”
Reviewed 10 November 2005

This hotel is smelly and dirty. The place has a very damp smell. The service is also terrible. I will never return there and I would personally suggest that unless you are willing to spend a night in a most unpleasant environment one should never consider staying here at all.

• Stayed August 2005
5 Thank A TripAdvisor Member

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (14)
abbyy79
Reviewed 12 September 2005

I rarely write reviews for anything, but I read them frequently when I'm taking a trip for selecting hotels, etc. Unfortunately, I couldn't find any reviews for this one before my Portland trip, and decided to take a chance; my boyfriend and I were trying to conserve money, and this one was cheap ($58.50/night with AAA discount). I just feel the need to get the word out there to anyone considering a stay at this hotel - BEWARE! Sometimes you get what you pay for.

I've stayed at cheap places before, and have found them tolerable. The fact that it was in an unsightly neighborhood - located in the heart of strip malls and construction - didn't bother me that much. I wasn't really expecting otherwise. The room itself wasn't even all that bad.

However, one thing I neglected to pay attention to before booking is that this hotel allows pets. The way the place is designed is that you have to enter through a main door for each section, then two other doors in order to get to the hallway that leads to your room. Upon entering the main door, we were faced with a horrific smell - something which I would describe as similar to the house of an old woman who owns 100+ cats. My boyfriend, however, said that it smelled less like domesticated animals, and more like a pig farm. In either case, it wasn't pleasant.

The smell faded as we entered through each door to get to the hallway where our room was located. The room itself, like I said, wasn't that bad. It didn't really smell - if anything, it was very faint.

The reason I'm giving this place one star is because what I've described above - having to go through what smells like a barnyard in order to get to your room - is simply unacceptable, and least to my boyfriend and me.

I don't hate animals. I like them (in moderation). I just don't want to smell them when I'm on vacation. I've stayed at one other place, at least, which allowed pets and this wasn't a problem. (In the future I think I'll avoid any place that allows pets just to be safe - but that's just me.)

Bottom line - just wanted to get the word out there for anyone considering this place. If cat/pig smell doesn't bother you, you might not mind it... or if you have a pet you really want to bring along with you, it might be for you. Otherwise, I'd skip this place.

• Stayed September 2005
9 Thank abbyy79
Modena
Reviewed 22 August 2005

Stayed two nights on my way to Bar Harbor. I was geocaching in Newport and had booked through Orbitz and I was locked in to the price or I might have gone somewhere else.
The motel is in a construction zone and is behind a all you can eat buffet restaurant.
Check-in was easy but the desk clerk didn't know much about Portland. I didn't notice until I got to the room that I had only one room key. I had to go back to the front desk which is in a separate building and about 2 tenths of a mile away from where my room was located.
The room was OK but it could have been cleaner. I would call it a bit shabby and in need of a refurbishing. The entrance and hallway our section of the building smelled and the carpet around the ice machine was quite wet. I believe most of the rooms are rented by weekly /monthly tenants.
On the second day we left a 8:30 in the morning and stopped back to the room for a pit stop at 3:30 in the afternoon and the had not been made up. I called the front desk and the clerk asked if I had a “do-not disturb” sign on the door. I told her we didn’t have one. We left and returned about 8:00 PM the room was spotless. Would I stay here again? I doubt it.

3 Thank ElmoHP