“this hotel should be shut down”
Review of Inn at Portland

Inn at Portland
Ranked #19 of 20 Hotels in Portland
doylestown, PA
“this hotel should be shut down”
Reviewed 14 August 2006

Wow I do not even know where to begin. We drove into Portland late with our sleeping children and booked a room for over $80
at the Rodeway. I kept hoping someone would hop out of our room with a camera and we were on a practical joke show.... but it did not happen. As I walked into the corridor to get to room 406 the overwhelming stench of mildew hit me in the face... it got even worse when we opened the door to our room. This was just the beggining. Th walls were filthy, there was a hole in the wall,, food embedded in carpet, missing tiles by toilet, no AC ( had a window unit but it did not work) The actual window also would not even open. The smoke detector was hanging out of the ceiling, there was a leak by the bathroom toilet that kept the floor constantly wet, No hot water.... but still after all this the stench is what I remember most. This room had obviously suffered major water damage. This was a room that should have been condemned!
The manager of the hotel would not give me a refund.

7 Thank keepitsimple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (15)
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 17 November 2005

I booked through Hotels and because we were shopping, was trying to conserve some money, so this was the best deal I could find. Don't be mislead by the picture - the office is a small square building next to the road, but you can't find the rooms - they are out back of a disgusting Chinese Buffet. Rooms were O.K. - could have been vacuumed better, but the office area was horrible- dirty, cracker boxes behind the counter area, cluttered and dirty. The office staff were totally unfriendly and uncaring. When I went to check out in the morning, the cleaning lady was behind the desk, she didn't know where the clerk was and I waited and waited and finally asked if she could page him or call him on his cellphone or something. She got a hold of him - he was in the bathroom !!!! Don't stay here, there are lots of hotels in Portland and much better deals. Actually, if you call the hotel directly, you can get a much better deal than booking on line.

• Stayed November 2005
6 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 10 November 2005

This hotel is smelly and dirty. The place has a very damp smell. The service is also terrible. I will never return there and I would personally suggest that unless you are willing to spend a night in a most unpleasant environment one should never consider staying here at all.

• Stayed August 2005
5 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
abbyy79
Reviewed 12 September 2005

I rarely write reviews for anything, but I read them frequently when I'm taking a trip for selecting hotels, etc. Unfortunately, I couldn't find any reviews for this one before my Portland trip, and decided to take a chance; my boyfriend and I were trying to conserve money, and this one was cheap ($58.50/night with AAA discount). I just feel the need to get the word out there to anyone considering a stay at this hotel - BEWARE! Sometimes you get what you pay for.

I've stayed at cheap places before, and have found them tolerable. The fact that it was in an unsightly neighborhood - located in the heart of strip malls and construction - didn't bother me that much. I wasn't really expecting otherwise. The room itself wasn't even all that bad.

However, one thing I neglected to pay attention to before booking is that this hotel allows pets. The way the place is designed is that you have to enter through a main door for each section, then two other doors in order to get to the hallway that leads to your room. Upon entering the main door, we were faced with a horrific smell - something which I would describe as similar to the house of an old woman who owns 100+ cats. My boyfriend, however, said that it smelled less like domesticated animals, and more like a pig farm. In either case, it wasn't pleasant.

The smell faded as we entered through each door to get to the hallway where our room was located. The room itself, like I said, wasn't that bad. It didn't really smell - if anything, it was very faint.

The reason I'm giving this place one star is because what I've described above - having to go through what smells like a barnyard in order to get to your room - is simply unacceptable, and least to my boyfriend and me.

I don't hate animals. I like them (in moderation). I just don't want to smell them when I'm on vacation. I've stayed at one other place, at least, which allowed pets and this wasn't a problem. (In the future I think I'll avoid any place that allows pets just to be safe - but that's just me.)

Bottom line - just wanted to get the word out there for anyone considering this place. If cat/pig smell doesn't bother you, you might not mind it... or if you have a pet you really want to bring along with you, it might be for you. Otherwise, I'd skip this place.

• Stayed September 2005
9 Thank abbyy79
Modena
Reviewed 22 August 2005

Stayed two nights on my way to Bar Harbor. I was geocaching in Newport and had booked through Orbitz and I was locked in to the price or I might have gone somewhere else.
The motel is in a construction zone and is behind a all you can eat buffet restaurant.
Check-in was easy but the desk clerk didn't know much about Portland. I didn't notice until I got to the room that I had only one room key. I had to go back to the front desk which is in a separate building and about 2 tenths of a mile away from where my room was located.
The room was OK but it could have been cleaner. I would call it a bit shabby and in need of a refurbishing. The entrance and hallway our section of the building smelled and the carpet around the ice machine was quite wet. I believe most of the rooms are rented by weekly /monthly tenants.
On the second day we left a 8:30 in the morning and stopped back to the room for a pit stop at 3:30 in the afternoon and the had not been made up. I called the front desk and the clerk asked if I had a “do-not disturb” sign on the door. I told her we didn’t have one. We left and returned about 8:00 PM the room was spotless. Would I stay here again? I doubt it.

3 Thank ElmoHP