“Great place to stay!”

Holiday Inn Portland By The Bay
Ranked #11 of 21 Hotels in Portland
Reviewed 19 June 2011

We stayed here while in Portland for two nights and it has the best view of Portland harbor and the parking is free! Besides that the rooms are lovely the service is excellent and I would not stay anywhere else in Portalnd. Great value for the money!

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank turly

Reviewed 16 June 2011

I stayed here one night while traveling up the cost and was not dissapointed. Hotel was clean and service was good. IT's walking distance to the Old Port area but will be about a 10 min walk. Room was very clean and very comfortable beds/pillow's. I didn't try the resturant/lounge as there are too many other good local options for that in the area. Value was ok, not cheap by any means but you get what you pay for. Keurig's in every room are a nice touch as well!!

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled with family
Reviewed 9 June 2011

The Holday Inn Portland By the Bay was a great hotel. The staff was very helpful as I lost my cellphone. They returned calls for me and we eventunally found it. If I ever make it back to Portland, I will be sure to stay here. The room was clean. The shuttle driver was nice enought to drive me accross the street for my conference as it was POURING!

• Stayed: May 2011, travelled on business
1  Thank mmol77
Reviewed 7 June 2011

We stayed here on Memorial Day weekend, 2011.

We arrived 4 hours before check-in but they were able to accomodate us anyway. Even better, because I also had signed up for their rewards program (something everybody should do before booking a hotel anywhere), I was given a welcome package that includede:

a bottle of water (which was handy as it was hot out)
a bag of Doritos
two chocolate chip cookies
late check out the next day (2pm)
a free drink ticket for the lounge/bar
a half-off drink ticket for the lounge/bar
a free coffee/tea ticket for the restaurant

Our room was on the 10th floor (out of 11 floors). When I booked online we paid $5 extra for a bayview room and that's exactly what we got. The room was furnished with a king sized bed, chair, table, desk, dresser (with large flat-screen TV), and small but well-appointed bathroom. I'm always hot and when we checked in, the AC was running comfortably cool. The hotel is located up a hill from Portland's Old Port so it was refreshing to arrive to that.

The Old Port is about a 10-15 minute walk (depends on how fast you walk). The "Arts District" (which from the best I could tell consisted of two art museums and a bunch of closed art galleries) was a block or so uphill (the Portland Museum of Art was across the street).

The hotel is also walkable to the pretty West End of Portland, with large mansions and historic homes.

We never ate at the restaurant, but the lounge was a pleasant enough place to relax with our free and half-price drink at the end of a day of playing tourist.

We also tried checking out their indoor pool and gym/sauna, but the pool water was extremely cold for some reason. We did enjoy sometime in the sauna, though it took some time to heat up since some idiot prior to us left the door wide open. There were no towels available, but they quickly came down and dropped off more.

The hotel offers free wifi. It worked speedily enough, but the password changed twice during our 24 hours stay so there was a slight hassle gaining access.

We didn't have a car, but it appears that they offer ample parking.

As an added bonus, they offered free transportation to either the airport (or, as Portlanders call it, the jetport) or to the Amtrak/bus station (where we caught our train back to Boston). This was a convenient perk that saved us about $13 in cab fare.

All in all, I wouldn't hesitate to stay here again. The room was clean and quiet, and the view was very pretty. All this for just $122 (plus tax) per night.

Room Tip: Get water view room. Sign up for rewards program
  • Stayed: May 2011, travelled as a couple
5  Thank snarl71
Reviewed 29 May 2011

Stayed at the hotel Saturday night. I got a rate of 125.00 plus tax. Other hotels in the area were charging 284.00 plus tax and parking a night. The hotel was great. Check in was a easy, staff very friendly, we were given a goodie bag with water, snacks, maps, two free drink coupons to the hotel bar and a scratch ticket. The room was very clean, large TV, mini fridge, and mini microwave. The bathroom had bath and body products and a nice coffee machine. I checked out the pool and exercise area seamed nice and clean. Hotel lobby had free coffee, juice, and newspaper, the hotel also has free parking. The hotel was walking distance from downtown (easy walk), the hotel has a free shuttle too. Having said all this, I have in the past stayed at the Portland harbor hotel and the regency hotel. Both of these hotels are very nice, a little more upscale and a little closer to downtown (1-2blocks). I would pick the holiday inn again. I'm very picky about my hotel rooms. The value here is great, staff great, the room even had a nice view of the bay. You can't go wrong.

• Stayed: May 2011, travelled as a couple
5  Thank routeroute
Reviewed 26 May 2011

From the moment we registered we were treated royally. We were given suggestions of how to spend the day and restaurant information. All ideas were "right on". The rioom was nicely decorated and the beds exceptionally comfortable. It had all the ammenities that you could want. Both the room and bathroom were very clean.
The staff at the desk were delightful! They evefn suggested the complimentary shuttle bus for us to take from the hotel instead of us trying to drive and park our car ourselves! What a find. We were offered a complimentary bottle of water for out return ride home! I can't wait to go back.

Room Tip: Request water view.
  • Stayed: May 2011, travelled with friends
2  Thank labravanel
Reviewed 25 May 2011

At first I chose this hotel by location, our graduation event was at the Civic Center. But it was so wonderful I would recommend it to all. We had a group of 19 staying at the hotel so we had 9 rooms which everyone loved. We used their banquet facilities for a lunch after the graduation which was excellent. Everyone was so helpful and accommodating with everything. They even provided shuttle service to the restaurant for dinner that night. Even the time spent at the bar (which was very busy) was great! Everyone seemed to make that extra effort which helped us to have a fantastic weekend!

• Stayed: May 2011, travelled with family