“Dirtiest Holiday Inn I've ever stayed.”

Holiday Inn Portland By The Bay
Ranked #10 of 19 Hotels in Portland
RI
“Dirtiest Holiday Inn I've ever stayed.”
Reviewed 21 September 2013

I am a business traveler and sleep in hotels about 150 nights/year. The room I stayed in was dirty beyond any other hotel I've stayed since staring this job. It was a double room, when I pulled down the covers it had many long black hairs on the pillows and the sheets. The bathroom was filthy; thick layers of mold that had obviously been neglected for some time, the toilet was dirty - hair on the seat and stains under the seat as well as the outside of the bowl having not been cleaned recently. I was placed in a smoking room despite both having specified a non-smoking room and my Holiday Inn rewards profile stating I want a non-smoking room. The room, was dated, and the smell of smoke did little to improve the ambiance. I would not stay here again if it were free.

6 Thank dan g
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Portland By The Bay, responded to this review, 8 October 2013
Dear dan g,

Thank you for taking the time to convey your comments regarding your recent experience with us. We highly value views, opinions and feedback from our guests, as this allows us to constantly improve the service we provide.

I am concerned to read that your experience was not what you expected. I apologize for our level of cleanliness didn't live up to your expectations and deeply regret the poor experience and service issues you had during your stay.

Your comments are very important as we rely on you, our valued guest to tell us how we are doing and how we can better meet your needs. Rest assured that these issues will be looked into. While we understand that your stay was not 100% satisfactory, we would hope that you would give us another chance to make your stay as best as it can be.

Dhan M
Case Manager
IHGCare

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (260)
County Dublin, Ireland
Reviewed 21 September 2013 via mobile

Nice room, good location in a lovely city to visit. Reasonable price when we booked.
We were unable to turn our air con off but the staff sorted it quickly.
Fitness centre left a little to be desired.
Easy enough to find and parking fine although have to pay

Stayed September 2013
Enfield, Connecticut
Reviewed 18 September 2013

Knowledgeable and helpful staff ; decent, clean rooms; good location near neighborhood restaurants and walking distance to the Old Port . Self parking on site . Fairly easy to find off highway . Onsite restaurant .

• Stayed August 2013, travelled on business
Burlington, Vermont
Reviewed 17 September 2013

Honestly, I don't know why anyone would stay here unless you are craving a flashback to the 80's. We are here for a trade show in a basement with 4 giant a/c units. They've been blasting all day, even though it's 60-something outside. Additionally, when we asked to open the shades in the basement where the tradeshow is being told, we were gruffly told no by the hotel. Crazy.

There are lots of nice places to stay in Portland, this isn't one of them.

3 Thank Ted A
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Portland By The Bay, responded to this review, 3 October 2013
Dear Ted A,

Thank you very much for your feedback. We value your comments, as they enable us to further improve our services and surpass the very high standards our guests expect.

Please accept our sincerest apologies for the inconvenience you had with our air conditioning system and deeply regret that the level of service provided fell below your standards.

Your experience is definitely not reflective of the high standards we usually pride ourselves with. As such, your comments will be forwarded to the ownership of the hotel to take into consideration for future improvements where possible. While we understand that your stay was not 100% satisfactory, we would hope that you would give us another chance to make your stay as best as it can be.

Dhan M
Case Manager
IHGCare
New Jersey
Reviewed 14 September 2013

I was a little torn on rating this Holiday Inn either an "average" or "very good." I've stayed here last year and came back again recently, so I guess that says something.

The Holiday Inn is in a great location for walking throughout the downtown Portland area and the hotel, overall, is clean. We also had a decent view of the water from our hotel, which was nice.

One complaint we had is that the parking garage is very tight and was often packed. If we had taken my husband's truck, we would have had issues parking it. Also, the elevator automatically always stops at the lobby, no matter where you are going. Of course, this isn't a huge deal, but can be a minor inconvenience. Also, the staff wasn't overly friendly.

One positive is the free shuttle the hotel provides. My husband and I had reservations at Five Fifty Five one night, which is easily within walking distance, but it was pouring outsie. The shuttle driver was very friendly, and promptly drove us and picked us up from the restaurant.

Although this Holiday Inn is around average, I would still stay here again.

Also, if you're looking for restaurant recommendations, I highly recommend Five Fifty Five and Street and Co. for dinner, and Hot Suppa for breakfast.

1 Thank Godiva0318
Richmond, Virginia, United States
Reviewed 13 September 2013

I was in Portland for my cousin's wedding. The location could not have been better. So many great places for me to run in the mornings, and since the hotel is located in the heart of downtown, I was able to explore many areas. The airport was merely 15 minutes away by car. We had no trouble parking the rental car in the parking deck. It was most convenient, as was the hotel shuttle. The room was comfortable and clean. The hotel is about midway to needing an update, but I was pleased with the condition of my room. Since I usually spend very little time in my room, I am not hard to please in this regard, location being the most important factor to me when looking for a hotel. The second most important factor is the friendliness and helpfulness of the hotel staff. I did not find the staff here to be lacking either--they were great and very friendly.

Room Tip: My view was toward the north (City view, not a water view), which was fine. The room was a better va...
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled solo
New York City, New York
Reviewed 11 September 2013

Loved the free shuttle from the small clean Portland ME airport. So enjoyed talking with Mike the driver. Fun Bawstan accent. ;-) Had requested a high floor room with a Casco Bay view (DEFINITELY RECOMMENDED - but away from the elevators. That's where the staff are, and can hear their door slam, at times often). Got there in the AM, room wasn't ready understandably, but offered a lower-floor room that was ready. I was ok with waiting, (and it was worth it) - downtown a 10 min walk. Staff were so friendly and professional. Joined their IHG Reward Club prior (free) and recommend it! Goodie bag waiting w/free drink coupons & snacks. Program also gives you late check-out (2pm) usually no problem. Room was beautiful - clean, spacious, INCREDIBLE Casco Bay view. Free WiFI always a HUGE plus. Gym was very small, but clean. Indoor pool huge - clean and a great place to hang out esp when it gets cold. Bartender at lounge for (free) drink was pleasant and informative of the happenings of the city. Free juice/lemonade & coffee in the lobby a plus. A wonderful stay, especially for the price point. And Portland is spectacular. Some of the nicest people I have ever met.

Room Tip: Ask for a high floor room (11th fl highest) with a bay view away from the elevators
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled with friends