“Great service, fair condition, good location”

Holiday Inn Portland By The Bay
Ranked #10 of 20 Hotels in Portland
Reviewed 16 October 2013

I stayed here recently several days for a conference. This hotel sees a lot of conference/convention business. The staff was uniformly excellent. Front desk, conference staff, restaurant staff, housekeeping, all were really much better than average. The hotel is in a good location. Most of the attractions of the old port area are just a few blocks away although there are restaurants and bars closer. Convenient shuttle to airport and train station.

The only area that could really use improvement is the hardest thing to improve, the overall physical condition of the hotel. My bed was fine but others in my party did have concerns about the lumpiness of some beds. Bathroom is small but this is an older 1960-70s hotel that has been modernized. It's nice but not to the same standards as a new built hotel. The advantage to the older construction is that I didn't hear a peep from my neighbors the whole stay. Thick Walls. Outside noise did however make its way into the room due to older and less soundproof windows. My heater/AC unit worked well and thankfully had a fan setting so I could use the fan noise to mask exterior noise. However, when the AC kicked in it made some very strange noises. I thought a helicopter or jet engine was warming up on the roof or something at first. It was odd but not overly annoying. I actually became enamored of it by the end of my stay. Get a room on the south side if you want to see the water. Overall, three stars except for the service which is so good it gets bumped up a notch.

Room Tip: Water view rooms on the south side.
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank HenryFlagler
Management3, Manager at Holiday Inn Portland By The Bay, responded to this reviewResponded 17 October 2013

We appreciate the feedback and are hopeful we will have the opportunity of accommodating the guest again on a return trip to Portland. The compliments on our services will be shared with the entire Hotel. Many thanks.

There are newer reviews for Holiday Inn Portland By The Bay

Reviewed 16 October 2013

Room not ready until 4pm. We were expecting more room for the money. The worst thing of all was having to leave at 2AM due to the large number of bed bugs infesting the room. First you notice blood stains on the sheets and then after looking among sheets and pillows you see live bugs ranging in size from that of tick to some that are barely visible until you rub your finger across the sheet and smear the blood they have sucked out of you. These things are insidious and once you get home they can infest your home. Horrible experience that could warrant legal action against Holiday Inn.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
3  Thank steven g
Management3, Manager at Holiday Inn Portland By The Bay, responded to this reviewResponded 20 October 2013

As explained to the other reviewer from the room in question, we have a very rigid extermination schedule, and are very sorry the guest had this experience. We would gladly discuss the matter should someone wish to contact the Hotel and speak with management.

Reviewed 16 October 2013

Booked room thinking that the higher price would buy bug free room. Boy was I wrong. Woke up in blood stained sheets and live bed bugs in the pillows. Captured the bugs to show the front desk and demanded a refund. We had to leave at 2 am and drive home. Still waiting for refund check. Stay away at any price.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Steve G

Our sincere apologies for the guest's inconvenience. We are on a rigid extermination schedule, but as travelers are aware, it only takes one occupant one night to cause an infestation. We are truly sorry the guest didn't wish to change rooms and had to leave. The refund check was issued the following day. The hotel would be more than happy to discuss the matter in detail with the guest. If that is an option, we invite the guest to call and ask for the Assistant General Manger. Thank you for the opportunity to respond.

Reviewed 15 October 2013

The hotel was in a desireable location, it had clean rooms, and the accomodations were better than expected. The price was very high for the hotel quality and amenities, but it was a direct result of the busy summer season. A fine place to stay in the Old Port.

Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 12 October 2013

stayed for 2 nights. Car park full the first night. Its difficult to negotiate the spaces if you have a big car. I payed for two nights parking but actually discovered havind driven several hours that I had been billed for three. So do check your bill cos this is such a simple cost to add to a bill and yet they don't seem to have mastered it. On the first evening I decided to stay a second night and payed the receptionist for a 2nd night of parking in cash. Later that evening I passed to check that the second night of parking would not be added to my bill as I'd paid cash. It was unbelievably difficult trying to ask such a simple thing. I asked a second receptionist (the one who had taken my cash) and still he didn't understand. I asked "Why is this so complicated? I've paid cash for the parking, I just want to check it won't be added to my bill". The receptionist said they is wasn't a problem understanding it was apparently because I "do not clearly express" myself. How rude!!!! This is no way to speak to a guest. Especially and English person who is an English teacher!!!! I said nothing even though I felt like showing him to what extent I master all facets of the English language but it's rich being lectured to by a receptionist in the back of beyond!!! (I allow myself that as he insulted me). Anyway despite guaranteeing that I would not be billed ,I was . So I ended up paying $30 instead of $20.
The wifi reception was not very good at this hotel. The day I left there was a female receptionist slouched on the desk, yawning, mouth wide open and un-covered. The manager should knock his staff into shape

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled on business
Management3, Manager at Holiday Inn Portland By The Bay, responded to this reviewResponded 14 October 2013

Our most sincere apologies for the unfortunate experience at our desk. We strive to deliver the ultimate in guest satisfaction, and are very sorry we didn't meet the guest's expectations. If a refund is due because of an overcharge, please contact the hotel directly. Ask for the Assistant General Manager and the refund will be forthcoming. We always appreciate feedback, and thank the reviewer for sharing this with us.

Reviewed 12 October 2013

Recently stayed here to attend a conference. Overall, the staff was extremely pleasant and accommodating. The hotel was near or within walking distance of restaurants - but then the whole city is walkable. The restaurant food was average. In the evenings, there was finger foods in the lounge which is a nice touch. Really appreciated the hotel shuttle service to the airport.

The two things I would recommend to the hotel is that they ask the housekeeping manager/supervisor to inspect the rooms and replace the beds. The shuttle driver told me that the hotel hosts lots of conventions and the beds show lots of wear and tear. The room I stayed in was quite dusty and dirty. Upon first glance, the surface things were clean, but improvements are needed. here was dust on the coffee maker, which showed it hadn't been used or cleaned in a long time. There was caked dust in the draperies and HVAC system. There was also dust on top of the ice bucket, which was made of cheap plastic that leaked ice water.

During my stay, it appeared that my room was not cleaned at all.The beds were remade and the towels or washcloths replaced if requested, but the plastic in the ice bucket was not replaced and the shower was not rinsed. Also, the ice machine on the 6th floor had a used coffee cup sitting on it. I placed the cup on the floor near the machine and it stayed there for the two nights I stayed in the hotel. Better training and supervision to spot areas for improvement would help in housekeeping.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled on business

We truly appreciate the comments offered in the review. It will be shared with the entire staff. Guest feedback is a means for us to improve our service to our guests. We hope to have the opportunity to accommodate the guest in the future.

Reviewed 11 October 2013

I previously wrote a review about the poor service we'd experienced at this hotel. The manager responded to my review and we spoke about our negative experience. A month or so later we gave the hotel one more try and were very pleased with our stay. The service we received throughout the weekend was top notch and our room was clean and comfortable. I won't let our one bad experience prevent us from continuing to frequent this hotel when in Portland, and you shouldn't either.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled with family