I stayed here recently several days for a conference. This hotel sees a lot of conference/convention business. The staff was uniformly excellent. Front desk, conference staff, restaurant staff, housekeeping, all were really much better than average. The hotel is in a good location. Most of the attractions of the old port area are just a few blocks away although there are restaurants and bars closer. Convenient shuttle to airport and train station.
The only area that could really use improvement is the hardest thing to improve, the overall physical condition of the hotel. My bed was fine but others in my party did have concerns about the lumpiness of some beds. Bathroom is small but this is an older 1960-70s hotel that has been modernized. It's nice but not to the same standards as a new built hotel. The advantage to the older construction is that I didn't hear a peep from my neighbors the whole stay. Thick Walls. Outside noise did however make its way into the room due to older and less soundproof windows. My heater/AC unit worked well and thankfully had a fan setting so I could use the fan noise to mask exterior noise. However, when the AC kicked in it made some very strange noises. I thought a helicopter or jet engine was warming up on the roof or something at first. It was odd but not overly annoying. I actually became enamored of it by the end of my stay. Get a room on the south side if you want to see the water. Overall, three stars except for the service which is so good it gets bumped up a notch.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- When you visit the historic, exciting and alluring waterfront City of Portland, why not stay in the midst of it? Award-winning hotel with elegant decor and spectacular views. Just steps away, the Old Port thrives with unique shops, diverse restaurants and a working waterfront. Turn the corner and Portland's new Arts District surrounds the Hotel with the art museum, Children's Museum, galleries and historic homes. The L.L. Bean Factory Outlet Store and Civic Center are only a block away! Jetport is 10 minutes away; courtesy vans are available. Choose from Executive Rooms, Suites and Double/Double Rooms. For your meetings and conventions, let us show you our 14,510 sq. ft. of meeting space and our 12,500 sq. ft. exhibit hall. Our convention coordinators will handle all of your meeting details, including spouse tours and island lobster bakes! Let us show you the pleasure of business in Maine, BY THE BAY. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, IHG, Hotels.com, Expedia, Ebookers, HotelQuickly, 5viajes2012 S.L. and getaroom.com so you can book your Holiday Inn Portland By The Bay reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Holiday Inn Portland By The Bay Hotel Portland
- Portland Holiday Inn
- Holiday Inn Portland By The Bay Maine