We always stay here while in Portland as it is within easy distance to the Arts District and Portland Art Museum especially. There are also several good restaurants in the vicinity. In nice weather, it is a pleasant walk into the downtown area and Old Port District. Another plus is the convenient parking garage. Even though there is a $10 charge per day, it is worth it. It is self-parking and located right next to the hotel with indoor access. Parking is difficult in Portland and other hotels with parking tend to have valet parking only.
The hotel is a little dated but seems to be well maintained. Rooms and public areas are clean. It is worth paying extra for an upgraded room if you want lots of space. These rooms have a large sitting area with sofa plus dining alcove with table and four chairs. There is also a small kitchen with sink as well as a microwave and fridge. Large closets and lots of drawers provide plenty storage space. It truly is a suite that could be used for a longer term stay.
We have been equally happy with the rooms that are one grade lower which are quite spacious even though they don't include the dining area.
Windows are large and the views can't be beat especially those facing the bay. The city facing views are not bad either. The heating/cooling system is relatively quiet regardless of floor and works well. Staff are friendly and efficient. The only complaint would be about the beds. I'm a bit fussier than my husband so I found the beds and pillows rather lumpy. Fortunately, the bed is soft enough for my taste. I think the mattresses and pillows need to be replaced.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- When you visit the historic, exciting and alluring waterfront City of Portland, why not stay in the midst of it? Award-winning hotel with elegant decor and spectacular views. Just steps away, the Old Port thrives with unique shops, diverse restaurants and a working waterfront. Turn the corner and Portland's new Arts District surrounds the Hotel with the art museum, Children's Museum, galleries and historic homes. The L.L. Bean Factory Outlet Store and Civic Center are only a block away! Jetport is 10 minutes away; courtesy vans are available. Choose from Executive Rooms, Suites and Double/Double Rooms. For your meetings and conventions, let us show you our 14,510 sq. ft. of meeting space and our 12,500 sq. ft. exhibit hall. Our convention coordinators will handle all of your meeting details, including spouse tours and island lobster bakes! Let us show you the pleasure of business in Maine, BY THE BAY. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Booking.com, Ebookers, Hotels.com, TripOnline SA, HotelQuickly, 5viajes2012 S.L. and getaroom.com so you can book your Holiday Inn Portland By The Bay reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Holiday Inn Portland By The Bay Hotel Portland
- Portland Holiday Inn
- Holiday Inn Portland By The Bay Maine