“Great Experience!”

Holiday Inn Portland By The Bay
Ranked #11 of 20 Hotels in Portland
Reviewed 10 May 2014

My friends and I were in Portland, Maine to celebrate a friend's birthday. Holiday Inn by the Bay was a great choice! We requested 2 non-smoking conjoined rooms with one roll away bed and they were able to accommodate. Julia at the front desk was very kind and was helpful mapping out downtown Portland for us. Downtown was a short 10 minute walk from the hotel. If you don't feel like walking, they offer a shuttle van to take you and pick you up as long as they're not picking up guests from the airport. THE DRIVER JOHN MADE OUR STAY. He was such a friendly, lively spirit, and we were so happy to have met him. The pool, sauna, and gym were great as well. MUST EAT AT STREET & CO. One of the best meals I've ever eaten! All in all, great experience. Would definitely stay again.

Room Tip: The non-smoking floor was a lower floor so if you don't mind a smoking floor then you'll pro...
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled with friends
Management3, Manager at Holiday Inn Portland By The Bay, responded to this reviewResponded 16 May 2014

We very much appreciate that your review mentions members of our staff by name. It is so satisfying for them to know they have done their jobs well and lived up to guest expectations. We hope you will return for another visit.

Write a ReviewReviews (1,151)

Reviewed 16 April 2014

I have stayed here a few times over the year while on business. It strikes me that it has gone down in overall quality. The rooms were clean and adequate but the meeting rooms leaved something to be desired. The fitness room was really bad -- small and outdated equipment -- and the banquet and other meals were really sub-standard. I think I will look elsewhere the next time I am on business in Portland.

Room Tip: My room overlooked the city proper. I think one is better served with a view of the bay.
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled on business
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Portland By The Bay, responded to this reviewResponded 2 May 2014

Dear Ron R,

Thank you so much for your recent comments. We strive to accommodate all of our guests and their needs and I’m disappointed that we did not meet your expectations. We appreciate you bringing your concern to our attention and apologize for any discomfort you may have experienced. I assure you the feedback we receive will be reviewed and most certainly be forwarded to the appropriate departments. I am confident the necessary adjustments will be made, in order to achieve complete guest satisfaction.

Again, thank you for your time and staying with us.

Connie D
Case Manager
IHGCare

Reviewed 15 April 2014

I stayed 2 nights here in early April for work and the hotel was pretty good. It's not "by the bay" as much as "on the hill overlooking the bay", but that's a minor quibble (it does afford nice views however if you're facing the bay, which I was). Reception was warm, friendly and accomodating, hotel entry/elevators/hallways clean, room nice and spacious and quiet. Free Wifi was awesome (a pet peeve of mine), and if you're willing to walk a few minutes you can be in the center of everything in Portland pretty rapidly. Free shuttle to the airport was a nice touch as well. Overall, a very nice stay.

1  Thank Michel93

We are very pleased you enjoyed your stay. When you next return, please avail yourself of the complimentary shuttle to the downtown area. It will save on walking, and is always our pleasure to accommodate. Thank you for posting your review.

Reviewed 14 April 2014

The hotel was very nice. I had a king room overlooking the Bay. I made a point to get up early to watch the sun rise and watch the ferries come in and the fishermen go out. The room was really clean, and pretty quiet, except for the heating/cooling unit which sounded like an airplane. I finally had to get up in the middle of the night and shut it off. One other note: I am allergic to dairy and eggs, and the breakfast menu didn't offer much in the way of alternatives.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled on business

Thank you for your review and your constructive comments. We are happy to accommodate any dietary requests when we are able. We hope you will visit us again on your next trip to Portland.

Reviewed 6 April 2014

First family trip to Portland with the little ones. Our room wasn't ready, so they upgraded us to a larger suite at no extra charge. There was a crib ready and we had a nice view of the city and harbor. Great way to wake up every morning! The hotel was central to everything, all the great restaurants, shops and activities. The pool area was clean and the pool was warm despite temps in the 'teens outside.
The town is great for running, with lots of hills and flats. The front desk provided me with a map and assistance so I could plot my run, which was really helpful.

You will have to pay for parking in the underground parking deck, since there is no available street-parking.

Room Tip: Requesting a view of the harbor will add to the experience of being in Portland
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled with family
Management3, Manager at Holiday Inn Portland By The Bay, responded to this reviewResponded 7 April 2014

We are so pleased your stay was plesant, and that you took advantage of all Portland has to offer. We look forward to your return

Reviewed 4 April 2014

Yes, the building is getting old (for a more modern structure). It's been well used. However, the rooms are kept clean. The service was amicable, including free mini-vans to take you downtown or to the transportation hub, airport, etc. Although we walked the whole downtown area, the van was great for a late night dinner and ride to the transportation hub for our ride back to Boston. They had an exercise facility, where machines worked, plus pool with jacuzzi, which seemed well attended. A huge bonus is that the Art Museum is right across the street, and there are great coffee shops 2 blocks away, as are fun pubs and eateries.

It's really a great location all around. Good value for a stay in Portland.

Room Tip: Try to get the views of the harbor.
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Scubaskier

Thank you for staying with us, and for sharing your experiences with others. We hope you will visit our city soon again.

Reviewed 31 March 2014

This was my first visit to the Holiday Inn Portland by the Bay and was very satisfied with my stay. The room was clean and the bed was very comfortable. My only criticism was I couldn't figure out how to turn down the heat, but then again, I could have called the front desk for help, which I didn't do either. The hotel is very central and within easy walking distance to the arts district, music venues, and Old Port. This is a great place to stay if you visit town for a concert.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Mike M

We thank you for reviewing us, and most importantly for staying with us. We know there are many choices in the city, and we hope to see you back with us again.