“Hospital Time” 3 of 5 bubbles
Review of Holiday Inn Portland By The Bay

Lowest prices for {0} - {1}
Enter dates for lowest prices
We check up to 200+ sites for the lowest hotel prices
Holiday Inn Portland By The Bay
Ranked #11 of 19 Hotels in Portland
Foxboro, Massachusetts, Usa
“Hospital Time”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 May 2014

We were in area because a family member was at Maine Medical so we stayed at this hotel because of location. They have underground parking but it is the tightest garage I have ever been in. I had to let my passenger out before I could park and thank goodness I am a small person because I had to squeeze out of car. I drive a Passat and could not make the turns in one time to get out and they charge $10.00 a night. The hotel was comfortable and the staff was very professional but it is a smoking hotel and the smell is in the hallways. They have an agreement with the hospital and we were given the hospital rate to stay but for only one night because they were booked for conventions that week. We had to look for another hotel for the rest of our stay.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Management3, Manager at Holiday Inn Portland By The Bay, responded to this review, 2 June 2014
Thank you for posting your review. Our parking charge is the lowest in downtown Portland, and we also have an overflow garage next door that may have proved better for you, as well as complimentary valet parking. I'm sorry your stay had to be cut short, but in the case of conventions booked up to a year earlier, the hotel does fill. We sincerely hope you will return for a visit

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (249)
boston, ma
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 May 2014

Stayed here with some friends for a night to go visit the various bars in the area. We've stayed in Portland numerous times but this was the first time staying at the Holiday Inn. It was a bit further out than the other places (maybe a 10 minute walk to get to the bustling areas), but that's solely because of where we were heading. If you were going to a show at the Civic Center, it's across the street. Now, while it was further, the price was significantly cheaper, yet the rooms themselves were nice, so I can't complain. They also had an underground garage, which I think was $10 for the night. Again, a cheaper price. Staff was all very friendly. All in all, a nice place to stay.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Management3, Manager at Holiday Inn Portland By The Bay, responded to this review, 16 May 2014
Thank you so much for the complimentary review. We are pleased you enjoyed your stay, and look forward to your return
Portland, Maine
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 May 2014

I must express my dissatisfaction with the staff and service at this hotel. Every single person that I interacted with at this hotel was disagreeable, uncooperative, rude, unwilling to attempt to do their job correctly, or just plain incompetent.

When I went to check into the hotel, the person behind the desk asked me what name the room was under. I gave her my last name (which is a word in the english language, and easy to spell). She said she had no room under that name. I gave her my husband-to-be's last name (6 letters, but could be misheard). She again, said she had no room under that name. In desperation, I gave her my mom's last name (5 letters, actual word) as she was the one that blocked the room for us and was told that there were no rooms booked under that name and, "We do not have a room for you." No apology, no trying to look anything up, no double checking, no asking me how to spell the names. When I told her I was the bride for a book of rooms that was reserved she again said, "Sorry, but you are not in here."

At this point I called my mom from my cell phone, since the front desk person I was working with would not call her for me because I didn't know her room number (my mother was in her room and had already checked in earlier in the day). My mom returned to the front desk, with confirmation number(s) in hand for the block of rooms reserved and for my room in particular. The room was, in fact, listed under both my own and my fiancee's name, but since the woman never bothered to ask me how to spell it, she couldn't find it.

The woman at the desk then asked for a credit card for the room - to which my mom had to point out that the room had already been secured with HER card, and that the documentation was there. The woman then addressed me by the wrong first name - indicating that she was in the process of checking me into my fiancee's sister's room (same last name) by mistake. Again, my mom pointed at the list in font of the woman that included confirmation numbers and requested that she please look up the room by the number itself, since the three previous attempts by name had been completely unsuccessful. I was then, after this unnecessary interaction, given my room keys and was able to check in.

After going to breakfast next morning, I returned to my room, and got a call from the front desk. The woman at the desk asked me if I had just had breakfast downstairs charged to my room. I told her that I had. She then said that there was no credit card affiliated with the room, and that I'd have to provide one to charge the breakfast to. I reminded her that, upon check in, we told her exactly what card to charge - the same card that was used to book the room. She then responded by saying "Well, there's no note in here to indicate that." I told her that it was discussed upon check in and that she should use the card on file. She eventually agreed and hung up.

On the morning after my wedding, at 6:55am, the fire alarm started making a chirping noise, indicating that its battery needed to be replaced. I got dressed, as did my husband, and we called the front desk. We told them that there was a smoke detector needing a new battery and could they please send someone up to change it. 10 minutes later, font desk calls and says there was a 'Do Not Disturb' tag on my door and did I still want maintenance to come up? I told her, yes, I forgot that I had put it there (I was groggy). 10 minutes later, a maintenance man came up. He looked at the chirping alarm and removed its battery cover. He then told us he'd be right back because he needed to get a battery. I don't know how we could have been clearer that a battery should have come with him in the first place, but I was too tired to mention it. Another 10 minutes later, and he replaced the battery and left. At that point, after being awake for a half hour, there was no going back to sleep.

At 10am, I called down to the front desk to ask for a late checkout. I planned to have brunch with my family and wanted to make sure I'd have time to clean out the room before I needed to check out. The front desk person said, "Oh, I think we already have you as a late checkout." I asked her to check. "Oh, no wait," she said, "I was thinking of another room. Would you like late check out?" I replied, "Yes." She said I could have late checkout at 1pm (as opposed to noon). I agreed and hung up.

Upon returning from brunch (at about 12:15) I went back up to my room to find my key card had already been deactivated. I returned to the front desk and had to ask for the key to be reactivated.

The people at this hotel were the only part of my wedding weekend that went poorly. Every person I dealt with on the phone or in person was unable to do the basics of their job. At no point did I feel like they cared about me or making anything right. I can safely say I will never recommend that hotel to visiting guests again, and I regret picking it for my wedding.

Room Tip: Double check every interaction with staff. I didn't have a single interaction that didn't in...
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank carlajean42
We are very sorry for the impression you have been left with after your stay with us. It is most unusual for us to hear of such dissatisfaction. We would be happy to speak with you personally about any or all of the issues. If you are so inclined, please feel free to contact the hotel directly to discuss. We value your business and wish to retain you as a guest.
Charlotte
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 May 2014

This was my boyfriend and I's first trip to Portland, Maine, but it won't be our last! Part of what made our stay so great was the perfect location of this hotel. Walk down two blocks, enjoy the water and the port area, walk up two blocks, you are on Congress Street. I'm glad we decided not to rent a car because it would have sat in the parking lot (for $10 a day).
The hotel shuttle picked up us from the airport - a quick, easy and affordable way to get our trip started. The shuttle driver (John) was fun to talk with, very friendly and on our way to the hotel, we made arrangements to meet him after we checked in so he could drive us to our dinner reservation.
Check in was quick and easy and my boyfriend got a room upgrade as a platinum member of the brand. Our room was on the 10th floor and had a good amount of space including a pull out couch and a desk and an oversized chair. The bathroom was small but made up for it with a Keurig coffee maker and a shower with great water pressure. There was also a large fridge and lots of outlets for our phones and computers. The best part of the room was the view of the bay. We woke up to an amazing site overlooking the water with the boats and activity down at the port. If we weren't interested in seeing the town we could have looked out the window all day.
The shuttle took us to dinner and also picked us up on Congress street when we were ready to head back. We've stayed other places with shuttle service, but this was the first one with door to door service and it was appreciated. Toward the end of the trip we realized how close we were to everything and walked. We also scheduled the shuttle to take us back to the airport, leaving us more time for lunch and a quick walk before heading home.
We went to the hotel bar one night and it was a nice spot. The bartender always gave us wine glasses to take up to our room which was appreciated. The indoor pool was huge and looked recently renovated. There was not a hot tub, so I didn't hang around long, but the family enjoying the pool looked to be having a good time. We didn't use the workout facility but it seemed on par with most Holiday Inns where we've stayed. Housekeeping did an ok job - could have been better -but there was caffeinated coffee and lots of towels so we were good to go.
Overall another great stay at a Holiday Inn. This is an older hotel and in some ways shows its age, but it was clean and the staff made it a fantastic place to call home for a few nights. We will be back!

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Thank you so much for sharing your experiences. We are proud of our service to our guests, and are grateful when it is recognized. We look forward to your return.
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 May 2014

My friends and I were in Portland, Maine to celebrate a friend's birthday. Holiday Inn by the Bay was a great choice! We requested 2 non-smoking conjoined rooms with one roll away bed and they were able to accommodate. Julia at the front desk was very kind and was helpful mapping out downtown Portland for us. Downtown was a short 10 minute walk from the hotel. If you don't feel like walking, they offer a shuttle van to take you and pick you up as long as they're not picking up guests from the airport. THE DRIVER JOHN MADE OUR STAY. He was such a friendly, lively spirit, and we were so happy to have met him. The pool, sauna, and gym were great as well. MUST EAT AT STREET & CO. One of the best meals I've ever eaten! All in all, great experience. Would definitely stay again.

Room Tip: The non-smoking floor was a lower floor so if you don't mind a smoking floor then you'll pro...
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled with friends
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
We very much appreciate that your review mentions members of our staff by name. It is so satisfying for them to know they have done their jobs well and lived up to guest expectations. We hope you will return for another visit.
Silver Spring, Maryland
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 April 2014

I have stayed here a few times over the year while on business. It strikes me that it has gone down in overall quality. The rooms were clean and adequate but the meeting rooms leaved something to be desired. The fitness room was really bad -- small and outdated equipment -- and the banquet and other meals were really sub-standard. I think I will look elsewhere the next time I am on business in Portland.

Room Tip: My room overlooked the city proper. I think one is better served with a view of the bay.
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled on business
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Portland By The Bay, responded to this review, 2 May 2014
Dear Ron R,

Thank you so much for your recent comments. We strive to accommodate all of our guests and their needs and I’m disappointed that we did not meet your expectations. We appreciate you bringing your concern to our attention and apologize for any discomfort you may have experienced. I assure you the feedback we receive will be reviewed and most certainly be forwarded to the appropriate departments. I am confident the necessary adjustments will be made, in order to achieve complete guest satisfaction.

Again, thank you for your time and staying with us.

Connie D
Case Manager
IHGCare
New York City, New York
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 April 2014

I stayed 2 nights here in early April for work and the hotel was pretty good. It's not "by the bay" as much as "on the hill overlooking the bay", but that's a minor quibble (it does afford nice views however if you're facing the bay, which I was). Reception was warm, friendly and accomodating, hotel entry/elevators/hallways clean, room nice and spacious and quiet. Free Wifi was awesome (a pet peeve of mine), and if you're willing to walk a few minutes you can be in the center of everything in Portland pretty rapidly. Free shuttle to the airport was a nice touch as well. Overall, a very nice stay.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank Michel93
We are very pleased you enjoyed your stay. When you next return, please avail yourself of the complimentary shuttle to the downtown area. It will save on walking, and is always our pleasure to accommodate. Thank you for posting your review.