“rude treatment and sickening smells”

Holiday Inn Portland By The Bay
Ranked #11 of 20 Hotels in Portland
Reviewed 1 June 2014

Reservations were made by phone months in advance. We called a week before our stay to confirm, and were told that we'd booked a smoking room. We were confused, but they reported the hotel was full and promised the room would be "deep cleaned", which was not the case. The room smelled strongly of stale smoke and made us queasy immediately. We asked the manager if he could "make it up to us" with free parking ($30), but he insisted that the fault was ours and the hotel would make no concessions for OUR mistake. He audibly complained to a coworker about us while we were still in the lobby. I woke up coughing with a sore throat and itchy eyes. I left as early as possible and will never stay at a Holiday Inn again. Smoking inside a hotel room is a health and fire hazard. I am shocked they continue to operate smoking rooms and fill them with non-smokers who've made it clear they don't want to spend a night in a room full of carcinogens and toxins.

Room Tip: Don't stay here. There are plenty of other hotels in the area with better service that won't...
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends
Management3, Manager at Holiday Inn Portland By The Bay, responded to this reviewResponded 2 June 2014

I am sincerely sorry you met with such a response to your request. This is not a typical reaction to our guests. I would be very happy to discuss this personally with you and work towards a solution that will please you. If possible, could you call the hotel directly and ask for the Assistant General Manager. I look foward to hearing from you

There are newer reviews for Holiday Inn Portland By The Bay

Reviewed 1 June 2014

Stayed here a couple years ago, so didn't hesitate to book again. The rooms are large and really nice if you can get a bay view room. The air conditioning unit in our room was really load and sounded like a plane gearing up for take off. The toilet didn't flush unless you held he handle down...just some basic things that will need updating in the next couple years. It's a 2 block walk to Dunkin Donuts and some other places to grab a bite to eat. I like the parking garage under the hotel, never worried about our car being secure. Kuerig coffee maker in the too is a nice touch as well.

Room Tip: Try to get a bay view room!
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple

Thank you for your complimentary review! We appreciate your comments and your patronage.

Reviewed 28 May 2014

Big beautiful rooms. Very easy check in and out. Parking under hotel, so secure. Very clean too! Great price too! Within walking distance to downtown and Old town. Our room overlooked the bay. It was marvelous!

Room Tip: Look for deals.. I found one for about half price!
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends

We appreciate your review very much and are pleased that you enjoyed your stay. Please visit us again

Reviewed 28 May 2014

We stayed only one night, on May 19th, 2014 but I can say that the price was right. Clean room, clean pool, clean hotel in general with free underground parking and very well located, close to everything. Service was good at the front desk at all times, check in / out and they were also helpful giving information. I would totally go back to this hotel. The only one thing I would add to be a perfect stay was an included breakfast.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple

We are pleased you enjoyed your stay and appreciate your constructive comments. We look forward to your return

Reviewed 25 May 2014

I love staying here when I am in Portland. This is the third time I have stayed here and will continue to do so for all future trips. The check in and service in the lobby is pleasant and efficient. When I arrived this time, my room was not clean so I called the front desk. I wanted to stay in that particular room because of the awesome water view and within 15 minutes, someone from housekeeping was there to clean up. The rooms are spacious and quiet. The price is reasonable and the location is convenient to downtown Portland. We were able to walk everywhere we wanted to go. I would definitely recommend this hotel to anyone visiting the area!

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family

Thank you for recommending us. We very much appreciate our guests sharing their experiences with others. We will look forward to your return

Reviewed 17 May 2014

We were in area because a family member was at Maine Medical so we stayed at this hotel because of location. They have underground parking but it is the tightest garage I have ever been in. I had to let my passenger out before I could park and thank goodness I am a small person because I had to squeeze out of car. I drive a Passat and could not make the turns in one time to get out and they charge $10.00 a night. The hotel was comfortable and the staff was very professional but it is a smoking hotel and the smell is in the hallways. They have an agreement with the hospital and we were given the hospital rate to stay but for only one night because they were booked for conventions that week. We had to look for another hotel for the rest of our stay.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family

Thank you for posting your review. Our parking charge is the lowest in downtown Portland, and we also have an overflow garage next door that may have proved better for you, as well as complimentary valet parking. I'm sorry your stay had to be cut short, but in the case of conventions booked up to a year earlier, the hotel does fill. We sincerely hope you will return for a visit

Reviewed 15 May 2014

Stayed here with some friends for a night to go visit the various bars in the area. We've stayed in Portland numerous times but this was the first time staying at the Holiday Inn. It was a bit further out than the other places (maybe a 10 minute walk to get to the bustling areas), but that's solely because of where we were heading. If you were going to a show at the Civic Center, it's across the street. Now, while it was further, the price was significantly cheaper, yet the rooms themselves were nice, so I can't complain. They also had an underground garage, which I think was $10 for the night. Again, a cheaper price. Staff was all very friendly. All in all, a nice place to stay.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends
Management3, Manager at Holiday Inn Portland By The Bay, responded to this reviewResponded 16 May 2014

Thank you so much for the complimentary review. We are pleased you enjoyed your stay, and look forward to your return