Holiday Inn Portland By The Bay
Hyatt Place Portland - Old Port(Portland)(Great Value!)
US$154
US$138
  • Room Service
Ramada Plaza Portland(Portland)(Great Value!)
US$79
US$192
US$171
Hampton.com
  • Breakfast included
Portland Harbor Hotel(Portland)(Great Value!)
US$137
  • Restaurant
Portland Regency Hotel & Spa(Portland)(Great Value!)
US$152
US$148
  • Restaurant
The Westin Portland Harborview(Portland)(Great Value!)
US$177
US$138
  • Room Service
Courtyard Portland Downtown/Waterfront(Portland)(Great Value!)
US$130
  • Pool
US$165
US$146
Travelocity
1,163 results
All reviewsbay viewold portcivic centerwithin walking distancefree shuttleshuttle serviceparking garagekeurig coffee makerart museumcasco bayfront desk staffrooms are cleanhotel restaurantindoor poolhotel shuttlefew blockscongress street
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 4 August 2014

This would be the second time I have stayed at this property.
The front desk personnel are very polite and professional but not overly so.(Very important to me.)
The King bay view suite I had was not bad at all. Only problem I had was that the AC unit needed servicing but still was functional.
The view was nice until you look down at the roof of the lobby.
It is very unsightly with the seagull droppings and unkept equipment on the roof.
The best thing is the location it is close to everything downtown.
Lots of great restaurants nearby almost walking distance.
With that being said I do not recommend the restaurant in the motel.
Being a seafood lover and especially lobster. I made the mistake of ordering baked stuffed lobster.
The only positive thing that it wasn't very expensive.
It was ordered as room service and arrived exactly when they said it would, (kudos for that)
I also ordered A cup of haddock stew. (sadly that was the best part of the meal.)
And the one and only thing I was missing on the tray was the drawn butter.
The lobster was pathetic, it was just stuffed full of some pieces of fish and scallops no kind of seasonings no kind of vegetable just covered with crumbled up Ritz crackers and then baked.
The lobster claw meat is also very disappointing the lobster had a very sizable claws the actual meat was less than one quarter of the actual size of the claw.

Room Tip: All the floors are concrete so you won't hear someone that is heavy-footed upstairs. Make sure you take advantage of the AAA discount and being a IGH member helps.
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled on business
Management3, Manager at Holiday Inn Portland By The Bay, responded to this reviewResponded 6 August 2014

Thank you for your review and for choosing us again when you traveled to Portland. It is unusual for us to receive a comment as yours about the lobster - thus I have passed it on to the chef to investigate. We appreciate your input and sincerely hope you will return.

Reviewed 3 August 2014

We had heard about all the good bars in Portland and we wanted to be able to walk to them and so we picked this hotel. We had a king room with a Bay view but the night we were there the weather closed in - so not much view. The room was big and clean and the reception was good also. You have to use the valet parking which I think is an extra cost. £100 for the night so not cheap but you do not need a taxi to get yourself home!

Room Tip: Bay view is nice if the weather is good
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank TheScubaDuo

Thank you for posting your review. Our valet parking is complimentary. The cost per night to park a vehicle is $10. We hope you will return soon.

Reviewed 1 August 2014

Julia at the front desk was extremely helpful, kind and treated us like family! The room could have been the worse ever, but we would still have the same kind words to say about her and her level of customer service!

Thank you!

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank molmeda3

We so appreciate hearing such wonderful compliments about one of our staff! She was thrilled to read this. Thank you for staying with us.

Reviewed 31 July 2014 via mobile

Holiday Inn in Portland Maine is a good hotel, but nothing remarkable. It is about three quarters of a mile from the port and historic district area where all the activity is. I don't mind walking so it was fine for me. If this is an issue you might want to look for a hotel closer. I was in room 803. I didn't have any street noise, but the air conditioner was very noisy. There was a constant fan noise, but when it "turned on" it sounded like a jet airplane. I was here for business and other colleagues had the same issue. The second night I had to turn it off to get a good nights sleep.

The staff is friendly, the rooms clean, and they have parking, for 10 dollars a day. If you are flying in the do offer a free shuttle from the airport, which is a big plus.

Stayed: July 2014
1  Thank rr177
Management3, Manager at Holiday Inn Portland By The Bay, responded to this reviewResponded 1 August 2014

Thank you for your review. We wish all to know that not only do we offer transportation shuttle, but we will make trips to and from the downtown area. We make frequent trips, and this has proven to be very popular with our guests. We apologize for the air conditioning noise, and hope you reported it so that maintenance was able to correct the problem. We sincerely hope you will choose us again for a future stay in Portland

Reviewed 29 July 2014

We where here for two days as part of a trip to Boston. The hotel is not the closest to the water, or it is within walking distance of both the waterfront, and Congress Street. This was important to us, because we came in by AmTrak and did not have access to a car. The hotel was very nice, they provided a complimentary ride to and from the AmTrak station, and there were plenty of outlets in the room. (I was traveling with my parents who both use CPAP machines, and this is a problem in most hotels, especially when you add the need to charge a couple of cell phones and other electronics.) I only have two complaints. 1) The mattress on my bed had a huge dip on the side by the night table where it is obvious that countless people have sat there and used the phone, etc. It made sleeping uncomfortable because if felt like I was rolling off of the the side, looking at the mattress itself, I would guess it is at least 10-years-old based on the style. 2) The door lock to our room, only worked part of the time. The lock part was never a problem, but it would often take us 3 or 4 attempts before we could get the lock to disengage. We also had the problem that the deadbolt would extend on it's own when the door opened, and then bang as the door shut, because we did not know it was sticking out from the door. This was especially a problem the first night since it was past 9 PM when we got there, and the door disrupted the neighbor with the banging before we figured out the problem.

Room Tip: The water views were great, but the higher you are the better the view. We were on the 6th floor, and the view was great. However, you overlooked the room of part of the hotel - not the most attractive sight.
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family

We appreciate your review and thank you for the comments. It is unfortunate that your mattress was not satisfactory and hope you made management aware so that it could be corrected. It sounds as if the problem you were having with your lock was with the key de-activating. I am sorry for the inconvenience. We sincerely hope you will choose us again if your travels bring you back to Portland