“Perfect hotel for first-timers in Portland”

Holiday Inn Portland By The Bay
Ranked #11 of 19 Hotels in Portland
England
“Perfect hotel for first-timers in Portland”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 June 2009

I live in the UK now, but used to live in New York and Portland. This hotel has always had a great reputation and has gone with the times as far as meeting expectations of the traveller. It's in a great location (within walking distance of the "oldport" and city center). Our hotel room was extremely comfortable and sound proof, the service in the restaurant for breakfast was good, but beware of being offered a large orange juice with breakfast, as it was $6.00! The bar just outside the lobby was cozy and great for pre-meal or afternoon nibbles and drinks. The hotel also offers free internet access/computers ; which is also off of the main lobby area and accessed with your room key.

Free cold drinks machine is available in the lobby (juice and iced tea). If you are staying here to see a concert... you're in luck, as the Portland Civic Center is almost across the street!

Restaurants that I would recommend are: Dimillos floating restaurant (everyone's favorite and amazing seafood)-they have a website so that you can check out the menu. J's Oyster bar on the harbour is an upscale local seafood restaurant and quality is second to none... On the budget side.... The Drydock on the harbour (towards the ferry terminal), as been there for years and the quality of their food has improved since I lived in Portland... we had steak and fresh fired clams that were piled high on my plate and deliciously fresh! Amigos bar in the "Oldport" serves good tex-mex and cheap drinks and is a fave with students and locals. And finally, i can't remember the name of this new pub, but it used to be the old "seaman's club". It's now an Irish pub/restaurant and the service and food are amazing! *A must go!

Trips I would recommend.... take the little portland train tour.. it's quite reasonable and gives you the inside history as well as a nice stop at the lighthouse; which is beautiful. (seasonal)

Definitely a worthwhile stay here at this hotel as a nice base for exploring what Portland has to offer.

• Stayed May 2008, travelled on business
1 Thank NSutton1103

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (251)
PARSIPPANY
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 June 2009

Although the hotel looks looks old from the outside the inside is a different story. The lobby check inn area was nice and spacious. The check inn went quickly with the desk clerks being very friendly. We did not ask for a harbor view but they gave us a very nice harbor view room. The room was very nice. I requested a cot in the reservation and it was waiting in the room. It was very comfortablee cot. Not the flimsy type. It was tough to find a spot for the cot but it worked out. The beds were comfortable and the bathroom was fine. After a few minutes in the room the front desk wanted to know if everything was fine in the room. I thought that was a nice touch. The indoor swimming pool was very nice. It was heated well. The location is a ten minute walk to the harbor but it is not a bad walk. Overall this was a nice hotel in the downtown that will nt make you go broke.

• Stayed May 2009, travelled with friends
Upstate NY
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 May 2009

It's a bit dated but has a lot of amenites for a great price. I originally wanted to stay in one of the hotels in the Old Port but when I found they doubled their price for Memorial Day Saturday night, I looked into other options and found the Holiday Inn Portland By The Bay.

I didn't know what to expect but was presently surprised. The lobby is updated and very large. I was greeted by friendly staff at the reservation desk. The room was large with 2 full size beds.The sheets and the pillows are a bit worn but at the price I paid I can't expect too much.

The bathroom was a nice size and clean. No mold.

The parking in the garage is free and it's nice to self park but the garage was full, so I was told I could self park at other lot or have my car valet parked. This worked out even better, the staff was able to get my car in a matter of minutes. They have a shuttle to Old Port which I didn't try but seemed nice if you don't want to walk or drive your car.

The room service was relatively fast and again very accommodating. They forgot the silverware but were back within minutes after I called.

The free wi fi was great. No problems. My macbook picked it but right away with no problems.

I'd definitely stay again and recommend it

• Stayed May 2008
2 Thank cs35
Tampa
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 May 2009

Trust me, you don't want to stay at this Holiday Inn. The people are rude (calling me a lier, of all things!) , rooms are dirty and VERY outdated. One thing that really had me angry was the constant problem with their WIFI and customer service. I had stayed here before because of the value I recieved. Even then, however, I had issues with the internet and WIFI. In the one year I stayed here, the value of service I recieved is that of a travel lodge, worth about $20/night.
It was ridiculus.Seriously don't stay here. The Eastland Park hotel down the road is a better stay then this place.

• Stayed May 2009, travelled on business
1 Thank jcdjrluver
Charlotte, NC
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 March 2009

After reading many reviews and looking for somewhere reasonable to stay in the downtown Portland area, I settled on the Holiday Inn, over the competition.

Pros: Free parking in the garage, great location to Congress Street (near LL Bean Outlet, many restaurants, bars, Civic Center), nice rooms, nice bathrooms.

Cons: More of a walk to Commercial St and the actual Old Port area (didn't bother me but some older travellers may need to be aware of this). Also, not actually "by the bay" but you only need to look at a map to know this... Can be a little noisy in the morning when other guests are moving about in the hallways. Be careful in the parking deck as it is rather tight and there are some blind spots as you are driving around corners to get up to the exit.

Other than that, I did not spend any time in the Lounge nor did I order a meal from Room Service or the Restaurant, so I cannot comment on that.

I had one problem during my stay. About 1am, I settled down to go to bed. As I was getting under the covers, I felt something with my toes - turns out that the previous guests socks were still in the foot area of my bed (within the sheets!). Both socks. The only way this happens is if the sheets have not been changed. I was immediately grossed out and called down to the desk to have new sheets sent up for both beds immediately. The night manager was very accomodating and I had new sheets up in the room in 15 minutes. I went down to speak with the night manager and received my night's rate comp'd for the trouble; incidentally I decided to extend my stay by one night (at this point I knew the sheets were clean, right?).

All in all, I have stayed in many Holiday Inns/Holiday Inn Expresses over the last few years, and I have never encountered a problem, so I won't stop going due to this one problem. However, I do feel that something did slip through the cracks and that people should be aware of it. Hygiene is very important and housekeeping staff need to be trained and disciplined appropriately.

• Stayed March 2009, travelled solo
6 Thank Sip79
Connecticut
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 March 2009

Nice Hotel. Room and Bathroom were nice and clean. Had a Bay view which was worth the extra $. Other side of the Hotel has a view of The White Mtns (Mt. Washington). A short walk to Congress Street. A little longer walk to Commerical Street. Restaurant had a nice breakfast that was reasonable. Gave coffee cups to fill and bring up to your room. Hotel Bar was nice, Bartender on Friday night was friendly. Bartender on Saturday night was a bit busy/stressed and took a long time to wait on us. Pool area was nice. Don't plan on sleeping in as the Maid's are very noisy. They are ready to go at 7:00 a.m. Parking is very tight, small spaces. My car got dinged and I have an Elantra.

• Stayed March 2009, travelled as a couple
1 Thank sharls08
Tucson, Arizona
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 February 2009

We stayed at this Holiday Inn over Valentine's Day weekend. The hotel was completely full, however this did not hinder the customer service in any way! Upon check in, we were given a "goodie bag" with a couple of free drink tickets, a half price drink coupon, free coffee/tea, a Portland magazine, scratch off lottery ticket, bottle of water, bag of Fritos and a cookie. The woman that checked us in was very friendly and polite, and also asked if we need a map of the area, which was provided, and quite helpful for cruising around the area. We were given a harbor view room on the 7th floor. Others have said this hotel is dated...sure, it is a bit older. But there is nothing wrong with the accomodations and overall hotel appearance. I think some are just a bit critical of the small things, that really in the big scheme of things, do not hinder the stay. The staff is very friendly, the rooms are clean, the hotel as a whole appeared very clean, and the bed was comfortable. They have a "pillow menu" on the bed, if you are not happy with your pillows. They offer several choices to choose from, and with a call to the front desk with your choice, they will bring them to you. We had plenty of room in the room and bathroom (which really isn't a big deal to me, how much time does a person really spend in the room anyways?) . The bathroom also appeard to have new faucets in the sink and shower/tub.
We did order room service for breakfast. The delivery was quick and the food was hot and good. We did also have a couple of drinks in the lounge. Again, a friendly bartender that mixed a very good drink. TV's, comfy couches in a rather large lounge. Another bonus of this Holiday Inn, no fee for parking in their covered parking garage! We found it close enough to everything, with the Old Port only being maybe a 5 minute walk at most. Very convenient... And again, I cannot say enough good about the staff at this hotel.
I would not hesistate to recommend this hotel to anyone, and I do plan to stay here again in the future!

• Stayed February 2009, travelled as a couple