I live in the UK now, but used to live in New York and Portland. This hotel has always had a great reputation and has gone with the times as far as meeting expectations of the traveller. It's in a great location (within walking distance of the "oldport" and city center). Our hotel room was extremely comfortable and sound proof, the service in the restaurant for breakfast was good, but beware of being offered a large orange juice with breakfast, as it was $6.00! The bar just outside the lobby was cozy and great for pre-meal or afternoon nibbles and drinks. The hotel also offers free internet access/computers ; which is also off of the main lobby area and accessed with your room key.
Free cold drinks machine is available in the lobby (juice and iced tea). If you are staying here to see a concert... you're in luck, as the Portland Civic Center is almost across the street!
Restaurants that I would recommend are: Dimillos floating restaurant (everyone's favorite and amazing seafood)-they have a website so that you can check out the menu. J's Oyster bar on the harbour is an upscale local seafood restaurant and quality is second to none... On the budget side.... The Drydock on the harbour (towards the ferry terminal), as been there for years and the quality of their food has improved since I lived in Portland... we had steak and fresh fired clams that were piled high on my plate and deliciously fresh! Amigos bar in the "Oldport" serves good tex-mex and cheap drinks and is a fave with students and locals. And finally, i can't remember the name of this new pub, but it used to be the old "seaman's club". It's now an Irish pub/restaurant and the service and food are amazing! *A must go!
Trips I would recommend.... take the little portland train tour.. it's quite reasonable and gives you the inside history as well as a nice stop at the lighthouse; which is beautiful. (seasonal)
Definitely a worthwhile stay here at this hotel as a nice base for exploring what Portland has to offer.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- When you visit the historic, exciting and alluring waterfront City of Portland, why not stay in the midst of it? Award-winning hotel with elegant decor and spectacular views. Just steps away, the Old Port thrives with unique shops, diverse restaurants and a working waterfront. Turn the corner and Portland's new Arts District surrounds the Hotel with the art museum, Children's Museum, galleries and historic homes. The L.L. Bean Factory Outlet Store and Civic Center are only a block away! Jetport is 10 minutes away; courtesy vans are available. Choose from Executive Rooms, Suites and Double/Double Rooms. For your meetings and conventions, let us show you our 14,510 sq. ft. of meeting space and our 12,500 sq. ft. exhibit hall. Our convention coordinators will handle all of your meeting details, including spouse tours and island lobster bakes! Let us show you the pleasure of business in Maine, BY THE BAY. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Booking.com, Hotels.com, Odigeo, IHG, TripOnline SA, Traveltool, S.L.U. and HotelQuickly so you can book your Holiday Inn Portland By The Bay reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Holiday Inn Portland By The Bay Hotel Portland
- Portland Holiday Inn
- Holiday Inn Portland By The Bay Maine