“Good Location, Generic Clean Stay”

Holiday Inn Portland By The Bay
Ranked #11 of 19 Hotels in Portland
“Good Location, Generic Clean Stay”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 October 2009

Its a holiday inn, so you definitely shouldn't have high expectations. I would say that their commercials say they are renovating each hotel, but they haven't done this one. Didn't have a non-smoking room available due to a convention in town, but the smoking room smelled fairly clean. Room basic, bed comfortable. Clean but outdated. With a hotel like this, a basic continental breakfast would have been nice. Best part was downtown location, as they have few hotels within walking distance of main area. \

If you are younger and looking for a place to sleep after a night on the town, you can stay here with your significant other, and not have to worry about too much.

• Stayed October 2009, travelled with friends

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (251)
Midwest
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 October 2009

I agree with the other reviews that this hotel has a good location in town. It was easy to walk to the Old Port or downtown quite easily. The room was comfortable with all the expected ammenities. We had a bayview which overlooked many buildings and the water in the distance, and unlike some, I found the buildings themselves somewhat charming and reflective of Portland overall.

The parking is free, which is a bonus, but not all that great. The parking garage is extrememly tight, even for compact cars and we found it difficult to locate an open space. When we did I had to be let out because once the car was parked there wasn't room to get bags out comfortably. I could get over all that but there was only one entrance to the hotel from the garage and it was a hallway with three elevators and no other doors. I felt a little nervous coming back late at night with nowhere to go but wait for elevators to come.

My biggest complaint is that after we checked in we noticed the bathroom floors were not swept; there was hair and dirt in front of the sink and along the toilet. I called housekeeping and they came that night, but there was still hair on the toilet. We had our room serviced the next day and not only was the bathroom floor still not swept but our dirty towels were not picked up. I did mention this to the manager and she was kind enough to adjust our rate, so I would try it again knowing that if things are not as they should be, they will work with me to make it right. For that reason I would recommend it with disclaimers, hoping that it would better next time.

• Stayed October 2009, travelled as a couple
1 Thank MidwestLiving
Norwood, Massachusetts
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 October 2009

After reading the positive reviews on tripadvisor my wife and I decided to stay at the Holliday Inn while in Portland. I am glad we did. The location is great, its a quick 5- 10 minute walk anywhere you want to be, Old Port, the Arts District, shops and restaurants. We had a drink at their Port of Call lounge and it was a much better setup than I would expect at a Holiday Inn.

The reasons I didn't give it 5 stars is because when checking in the girl at the front desk had a "get me out of here" attitud". She had no hint of a smile or on her when greeting us. Also, we got a Bayview room but was a little let down. Maybe my expectations were too high. We did see the water but mostly we saw Industry, such as industrial rooftops, parking lot, houses, Oil tanks and cranes from a work site. Maybe a different room would have a better view, we stayed in room 906.

In conlusion, I reccomend this hotel to anyone that wants value for the money, wants to be close to downtown and shops/restaurants and doesn't need to get pampered at say a Hilton, etc (not that there is anything wrong with that) :)

• Stayed October 2009, travelled as a couple
Houston, TX
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 October 2009

A good value for the location compared to other hotels. We had a good sized room with a nice view of the harbor and centrally located for shopping and restaurants in the wharf district. The breakfast buffet was reasonably priced but a bit on the skimpy side. Parking garage is difficult to navigate in a big car, but parking is free and has good access into the hotel. Friendly and helpful front desk staff, and good at giving directions.
I used the business center, and it was well equiped. My non smoking room seemed to smell of smoke, but after we ran the fan in the room for awhile, the smell went away. The pillows were not the best, but I always take my own with me. Comfortable bed, but the linens could be better.

Stayed October 2009, travelled as a couple
Ayrshire
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 October 2009

Enjoyed a 3 night stay here. Lovely room with great view over the harbour. Location of hotel is very good and free parking a bonus. Staff extremely helpful and pleasant. Receiving our little goody bag on check-in was a nice touch. Only had breakfast once in hotel - so many places to choose from in Portland - but it was absolutely delicious. Would stay here again.

• Stayed September 2009, travelled as a couple
1 Thank sjkh55
London, UK
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 October 2009

Every once in a while you come across a Holiday Inn that is a hotel. This is one such, and it's worth paying for. The bay views are nice, rooms clean and large, and facilities good. The front desk staff were very helpful and courteous, and the concierge was very good at giving us tips on where to eat and drink. The in-house bar has a decent selection of beers, wines and spirits; if you are a member of the Priority Club you get special welcome bonuses that go above and beyond what most Holiday Inns give you! Location wise, it's within walking distance of all the shops and restaurants. The large multistorey car park has low height clearance so watch out for those roof racks!

• Stayed September 2009, travelled with friends
Nova Scotia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 September 2009

My boyfriend was attending a 3-day conference at the hotel, so I tagged along for a little bit of R&R. The Holiday Inn By The Bay was very clean, the staff were friendly (and extremely patient while helping me figure out some wireless connectivity issues with my laptop), and our king suite was immaculate and spacious. The bed was exceptionally comfortable. We appreciated the free parking. The free lemonade and coffee dispensers in the lobby were a nice touch too. The location -- although not the most picturesque part of the city -- is within easy walking distance of restaurants and shops in the Congress Street area. We ate most of our meals in restaurants along the waterfront, but we did order room service at the hotel one evening. It was also a short, pleasant walk to the waterfront district. Portland is a beautiful little city, and I would definitely recommend this hotel for anyone wanting a spacious, quiet, comfortable room for a reasonable price. Room service was good too -- yummy food -- and surprisingly inexpensive.

Stayed June 2008, travelled on business