My wife and I stayed here for a quick weekend getaway.
When I look for a hotel I concentrate on finding a hotel within walking distance of all the action at a decent price. Next, is that it gets decent overall reviews for everything else. Overall, this hotel met all my expectations based on my research.
For location, it is about a 5-10 min walk to all the shops and many restaurants of Old Town. The only time we thought it was a little far was when we took our leftovers from dinner back to the room before heading out again. Other than that it was an enjoyable walk and not far to everything. Since other hotels a few minutes closer were much higher priced we felt the savings was well worth it. Also, if anybody is looking for a hotel close to the Civic Center this hotel can't get any closer.
The hotel looks like a Holiday Inn so don't expect anything more there
Free garage parking under the hotel was a big plus although I don't think parking is that big of an issue in Portland.
We got there around 2pm on a Friday and they had a room ready for us. I had reserved, and paid in advance, a King size bed with Bay View room. However, we got a queen size bed with bay view. Why is it that hotels automatically just give you what they have and not what you have reserved? I realize it is based on availability, but since it was pretty early in the day we would probably have been willing to wait for a King if asked. We really aren't that picky so we took what we got but customer service wise it would have been nice if they gave us a choice prior to us finding out once we got to our room.
Our room was on the 9th floor (out of 12) and overlooked the more industrialized portion of the bay. The room was dated but very clean. It had a chair and ottoman, a bench like chair, another sitting chair, a desk, and an old tube style TV. The TV did have a good selection of cable TV channels available.
The bathroom was avg size and very clean as well. The shower always had hot water and the pressure was fine. One thing to be aware of if you are tall is that the bathtub/shower may be an issue. The way the tub was installed you stepped up into it which resulted in a low ceiling/shower head. This wasn't an issue with us but if you are over 6ft your head will be skimming the ceiling and you'll have to duck to have the water hit you head. If I were to guess someone 6'3" - 6'5" would probably be hitting their head. Maybe not all showers are installed like this but it is something to watch out for.
The room did have a couple of nice amenities you don't see in a lot of hotels rooms. It had a mini fridge with microwave and a Keurig K-cup coffee machine. The only thing that was weird was that the Keurig machine was in the bathroom and the one amenitie that the room was missing was a safe.
We did see a painter in one of the elevators going to another floor, and I did see a review about updated rooms, so they may be gradually updating the rooms. Once that is complete, and if the price doesn't go up much, this hotel will be even a better value.
We did not try the restaurant since Portland has a abundance of good restaurants nearby.
Overall, the hotel met our expectations for what we paid and by what the other reviewers have said. Next time we plan to go to Portland we will definitely consider staying there again. We would recommend this hotel to anyone looking for a clean hotel, on the less expensive side, within a walkable location to the Old Town area.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- When you visit the historic, exciting and alluring waterfront City of Portland, why not stay in the midst of it? Award-winning hotel with elegant decor and spectacular views. Just steps away, the Old Port thrives with unique shops, diverse restaurants and a working waterfront. Turn the corner and Portland's new Arts District surrounds the Hotel with the art museum, Children's Museum, galleries and historic homes. The L.L. Bean Factory Outlet Store and Civic Center are only a block away! Jetport is 10 minutes away; courtesy vans are available. Choose from Executive Rooms, Suites and Double/Double Rooms. For your meetings and conventions, let us show you our 14,510 sq. ft. of meeting space and our 12,500 sq. ft. exhibit hall. Our convention coordinators will handle all of your meeting details, including spouse tours and island lobster bakes! Let us show you the pleasure of business in Maine, BY THE BAY. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, Hotels.com, Ebookers, Odigeo, Priceline, IHG, TripOnline SA, Traveltool, S.L.U., HRS, getaroom.com, HotelQuickly and Cancelon so you can book your Holiday Inn Portland By The Bay reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Holiday Inn Portland By The Bay Hotel Portland
- Portland Holiday Inn
- Holiday Inn Portland By The Bay Maine