“Decent hotel within a short walk to Old Town”

Holiday Inn Portland By The Bay
Ranked #10 of 19 Hotels in Portland
Boston, Massachusetts
“Decent hotel within a short walk to Old Town”
Reviewed 24 May 2010

My wife and I stayed here for a quick weekend getaway.

When I look for a hotel I concentrate on finding a hotel within walking distance of all the action at a decent price. Next, is that it gets decent overall reviews for everything else. Overall, this hotel met all my expectations based on my research.

For location, it is about a 5-10 min walk to all the shops and many restaurants of Old Town. The only time we thought it was a little far was when we took our leftovers from dinner back to the room before heading out again. Other than that it was an enjoyable walk and not far to everything. Since other hotels a few minutes closer were much higher priced we felt the savings was well worth it. Also, if anybody is looking for a hotel close to the Civic Center this hotel can't get any closer.

The hotel looks like a Holiday Inn so don't expect anything more there

Free garage parking under the hotel was a big plus although I don't think parking is that big of an issue in Portland.

We got there around 2pm on a Friday and they had a room ready for us. I had reserved, and paid in advance, a King size bed with Bay View room. However, we got a queen size bed with bay view. Why is it that hotels automatically just give you what they have and not what you have reserved? I realize it is based on availability, but since it was pretty early in the day we would probably have been willing to wait for a King if asked. We really aren't that picky so we took what we got but customer service wise it would have been nice if they gave us a choice prior to us finding out once we got to our room.

Our room was on the 9th floor (out of 12) and overlooked the more industrialized portion of the bay. The room was dated but very clean. It had a chair and ottoman, a bench like chair, another sitting chair, a desk, and an old tube style TV. The TV did have a good selection of cable TV channels available.

The bathroom was avg size and very clean as well. The shower always had hot water and the pressure was fine. One thing to be aware of if you are tall is that the bathtub/shower may be an issue. The way the tub was installed you stepped up into it which resulted in a low ceiling/shower head. This wasn't an issue with us but if you are over 6ft your head will be skimming the ceiling and you'll have to duck to have the water hit you head. If I were to guess someone 6'3" - 6'5" would probably be hitting their head. Maybe not all showers are installed like this but it is something to watch out for.

The room did have a couple of nice amenities you don't see in a lot of hotels rooms. It had a mini fridge with microwave and a Keurig K-cup coffee machine. The only thing that was weird was that the Keurig machine was in the bathroom and the one amenitie that the room was missing was a safe.

We did see a painter in one of the elevators going to another floor, and I did see a review about updated rooms, so they may be gradually updating the rooms. Once that is complete, and if the price doesn't go up much, this hotel will be even a better value.

We did not try the restaurant since Portland has a abundance of good restaurants nearby.

Overall, the hotel met our expectations for what we paid and by what the other reviewers have said. Next time we plan to go to Portland we will definitely consider staying there again. We would recommend this hotel to anyone looking for a clean hotel, on the less expensive side, within a walkable location to the Old Town area.

• Stayed May 2010, travelled as a couple
1 Thank srauhala

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (254)
New York City, New York
Reviewed 17 May 2010

I can't believe I'm giving a Holiday Inn a good review. Rooms, bar, restaurant all very good. But what truly sets this hotel apart are its fabulous views and the incredibly great service, from front desk to waitstaff to housekeeping. Remarkably friendly and accommodating. The only drawback is that it's on a hill so walking to from Old Port not that easy.

• Stayed May 2010, travelled with family
New Hampshire
Reviewed 30 April 2010

I was expecting a great view and an outdated room based on the pictures on their website. However, when we arrived and entered our room we were pleasantly surprised! We had a King Room on the 10th floor with a magnificent view of the bay and all of the furniture was updated in a rich modern chocolate brown color with square nickel knobs, Huge flat screen TV (cable wasn't HD though, oh well.) Keurig coffee maker with K-Cups and tea, (free coffee 24 hours a day in the lobby - loved it!) free wi-fi was great too! The bed was soft and very comfortable - nice linens and pillows! The bathroom was updated as well and had a beautiful granite counter top, heat lamps, Bath and Body Works travel sized shampoo/conditioner, etc. The bathroom was a little small, but I took the most wonderful and relaxing bath with the best 'hot water' ever! Also, it has an updated curved shower rod/curtain for extra elbow room. The front desk poeple were great and gave us maps of the area, (start with Exchange Street!) the lounge was nice to sit and relax in after a long day of walking and shopping. I would definately go again - you can not beat the amazing views from this hotel! Also, free garage parking. My husband and I had a great time.

• Stayed April 2010, travelled as a couple
UK
Reviewed 30 April 2010

hmm this a funny one!

The hotel needs a lot of updating - the lobby looks like it has been decorated in 20 years, the rooms in 30 years!! We regular stay in the Holiday Inn chain on business an this is not one of the best!

On a positive we have to say that the staff are really nice and friendly is this hotel so all credit to them

If we came back to Portland I think we would stay elsewhere.

• Stayed October 2009, travelled as a couple
Boston
Reviewed 29 March 2010

I was attending a concert at the Portland Civic Center and didn’t want to drive back to Massachusetts afterwards so I decided to stay overnight.

A few acquaintances attending the same concert mentioned they were staying at the Portland By The Bay Hotel which is located directly across the street from the venue. So being completely naïve (meaning not checking out any reviews or the area prior to trip) I went ahead and booked a room, I was very pleasantly surprised. The lobby was welcoming and nicely decorated as was the room (nice furnishings and very clean). The bathroom was rather small but it was clean and served its purpose.

The staff was very helpful in providing information on the area, restaurant suggestions, etc… And even provided late-night snacks to a group of guests who had just came back from a night out (I suspect they were feeling very happy, but the staff member handled the situation well and made sure they didn’t disturb the other guests).

As far as eating at the hotel’s restaurant I wouldn’t recommend it, it is pricey for the menu selection and quality of food. Don’t get me wrong, it was good but $15.00 for breakfast is unnecessary especially when there are many other options in town all of which are within walking distance (I only ate there because it was convenient to my schedule that day – when checking out).

I plan on returning for the Maine getaway weekend that I have been promising myself for sometime now.

• Stayed March 2009, travelled solo
Dublin
Reviewed 25 March 2010

I had A wonderful experience in this hotel, I was staying there for a conference for two nights, and the staff could not have been more helpful, they were their for everything t I needed, and although I did not have a great weekend i general, they made it just that little bit better and enabled me to forget about it for a while, i would like to commend them for this. Also their food was delicious and have a great selection of local seafood.

• Stayed November 2009, travelled on business
Manchester, New Hampshire
Reviewed 4 March 2010

After the storm knocked out power at home, my husband and I started looking around for a hotel to avoid a repeat of the 2008 Ice Storm. Nothing was available around home, so we decided to go to Portland for the weekend. The first hotel I tried was Holiday Inn by the Bay. I've stayed there once before and knew it would be pleasant.

The staff was very friendly and polite, both on the phone and at the hotel. We got a king executive room. The room was spacious and clean, and felt very welcoming. I really liked the shower - plenty of water pressure!

The location of the hotel is great - within walking distance of the Old Port and several local attractions (Museum of Art, Civic Center, etc). Parking in the garage can be a little intimidating, judging by the number of cars that weren't quite in one space. Luckily my husband is much better at parking than I am.

We had breakfast in the restaurant both mornings, and found it good. The pool and fitness area were impressive.

All in all, I was really happy we were able to turn what could have been a miserable situation into a lovely weekend getaway.

• Stayed February 2010, travelled as a couple