“Little things that go a long way”

Holiday Inn Portland By The Bay
Ranked #11 of 21 Hotels in Portland
Reviewed 17 July 2010

At check-in we were given a small paper bag containing not only a map of the city (very helpful) with the requisite advertisements, but also a bottle of water, a bag of chips, and two cookies. At other times there would be snacks and fruit in baskets on the reception counter - just as we would return from dinner and realize we need something sweet. And when we were checking out, the lady asked us if we needed some water for the road. We did, actually, so she gave us two bottles of cold water! Add that to the fact that we had a nice large room with a huge window overlooking the bay and easyly walked to all the tourist attractions and restaurants, and I won't rate this hotel anything but exellent. Yes, the A/C in the room was loud (still a lot quieter than at my home) and guys at the front desk were somehow unaware that there were places to get food within a walking distance that were open at 11PM (there were), but I refuse to let it affect my overall very good impression. All because of those little things they didn't have to do, but they did.

• Stayed: July 2010, travelled with family

Reviewed 13 July 2010

I travel quite a lot for work and was therefore truly impressed with the quality of service in what otherwise would be considered an ordinary hotel. Each and every one of the front desk people went out of their way to help us -- whether it was in dealing with oversized luggage, using the shuttle service, keeping luggage a few extra days, recommending appropriate restaurants, and more.

• Stayed: July 2010, travelled with family
Reviewed 30 June 2010

I don't know where the last couple reviewers stayed but I was here from 6/26-6/30/10 and it couldn't have been better. We stayed in room 1018, roomy with a picture window of the bay, a refrigerator and a microwave. The 40-inch flatscreen TV was a nice touch. Other nice touches included free fruit and snacks at the front desk. On Sunday there are free papers. Not USA Today but a real local paper. I'm actually writing this from the room on my laptop thanks to the free wireless internet. If you don't have a laptop there is a business center in the lobby with free internet access. There is a great pool and exercise room. Someone said there was no bathroom by the pool. Well next time get your princess toes up the 5 steps to the adjacent exercise room and you'll find them there (along with saunas). Yes, the parking is a little tight as stated in other reviews. There is no breakfast included but we had breakfast in the hotel restaurant and the food and service was excellent. A huge bonus was that the location perfect. Portland is a great walking city and if you want to go to different restaurants, arts, entertainment, etc. you can get just about anywhere walking in a short distance.

• Stayed: June 2010, travelled as a couple
1  Thank ShelterSteve
Reviewed 19 June 2010

We stayed at this hotel on June 17th so that we could attend a concert at the civic center I must say that the location of the hotel to the civic center is the only good thing about this hotel, we will start with the parking garage it is so small and tight that we thought our F150 would be turned into a convertible trying to get in and out of the garage, next the room was awful our view was of bars, grafitti, and nasty ghetto areas, there wasnt any microwave or mini fridge which I have always found to be standard in hotels that charge nearly 200.00 a night the beds are not queen size the are more like full size which is tight for 4 people, there was only 1 regular coffee for the coffeemaker which meant 1 of us had coffee in the room while the rest had to walk downstairs to the lobby, this was the first hotel I have stayed in that did not offer some type of continental breakfast in the lobby, when checking out the next day the desk clerks did not even ask if I enjoyed my stay! oh then there is the pool area it looks very nice and the pool is clean but they must encourage peeing in the pool as there is No bathroom or shower area anywhere in sight we had to run back to the room all wet to pee and then go back down to the pool how rediculous is that I feel they should have given me some kind of discount for all the inconveniences they caused me!

• Stayed: June 2010, travelled with family
3  Thank downeastgirl
Reviewed 7 June 2010

I booked this hotel because it was a good price and walking distance from the stores and restaurants. It was not worth it. The hotel was dirt and dusty. They told me that there was free breakfast cause there is a restaurant in the hotel BUT what was free was coffee, orange juice, fruit and package cheese crackers. I was not the only one disappointed - there was other travelers with family that were arguing, too. So, my mom and I had there breakfast in the hotel restaurant and it was not good and services were lazy. The server was never around checking for refills or asking if we need anything - plus, I never got my toast. This was my last booking for Holiday Inn, forever. Never again.

• Stayed: June 2009, travelled with friends
Reviewed 5 June 2010

First off, as other reviewers have said, the staff here were friendly and efficient -- from the front desk to housekeeping to the restaurant.

PROS: Location is fabulous: right in the arts district, short walk to Old Port. A complimentary shuttle van takes you to and from transportation centers (and when we stayed here four years ago when my hubby was in a foot cast, they took us to and from Old Port). Our upgraded king room was roomy. Shower pressure and temperature were great and user-controlled. I liked the Bath & Body works shampoo, conditioner, and lotion. The restaurant was serviceable; it was good to know its there even though other dining options in Portland abound. Our room was partially renovated, it seems: wall, window, floor, and bed treatments looked updated, furniture old, outmoded and dinged up. Chairs and sofa were solid and comfortable. Though we had a corner room, we did appreciate the lack of noise from the adjacent guestroom. (Hallway noise was present, but not too bad.) Heat lamp in bathroom was a plus. Oh, and free WiFi!!!

CONS: Bed woefully uncomfortable! The mattress sagged every which way -- we were very sore every morning. The room did smell of smoke even though it was a nonsmoking room. To make matters worse, the bathroom had no ventilation, so it got super-steamy after each shower, and often cigarette smoke came through the vent (yeah, there was a vent, but no helpful ventilation). There were no bathrobes; usually not a biggie but it was mentioned in the room description. The shower head, according to my husband, was absurdly low, causing him to crouch to get his head wet. (He's under six feet tall!). My biggest peeve for the bathroom was the lack of soap dish, which meant a lot of mushy soap that was replaced each day. What a mess! What a waste! Oh, and don't imbibe the free, vile swill they offer in the lobby . . . ew!

IN SUM: Great locale, great staff, great value, okay comfort level. Bathroom amenities and ventilation need to be better thought out.

• Stayed: June 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 31 May 2010

I will agree with other reviews that the bar and lobby area needs an update. In fact, I jokingly commented to my partner that the bar felt like a funeral home lobby and maybe we were in some kind of netherworld awaiting transport.

Having said that, this is still an excellent hotel for so many reasons. The room we had was modern and faced the bay. The pool and spa area was well kept and clean. We were within walking distance of bars, restaurants and museums. Plus, if you are the lazy type the hotel offers shuttle service to the waterfront. Parking is on site and the staff is friendly and offers advice freely.

When reserving a room ask for a Bay facing room. It's worth it to kick back with a drink, prop your feet up and view Casco Bay and the surrounding environs.

This hotel is a winner.