“A comfortable nights sleep!”
Review of Clarion Hotel

Clarion Hotel
Ranked #17 of 20 Hotels in Portland
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed 14 September 2011

Old Hotel, but the rooms are clean. Housekeeping does a great job. I have stayed here 4 times and had a great nights sleep each time. Beds are comfortable. Restaraunt has great staff and decent food. Has a shuttle which is convenient. Could stand thicker n bigger towels and a little more attention to maintanence in the rooms. No free breakfast. Will return because of the value. (Clean is MORE important than a free breakfast)

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled as a couple
2  Thank cld1022

Reviewed 11 September 2011

My husband and I decided to go with priceline for a weekend getaway to Portland - using 3 stars as our minimum - and ended up at the Clarion. I have a feeling that this will happen to anyway who does priceline in the portland area since it was far inferior to other portland 3 star hotels. Granted we paid less than 100/night for our room - but it is incredibly outdated. The elevator is old and slow, the rooms are an ugly brown and just seem dated. Positives - The bed was fine, TV was new and there was a mini fridge in our room. And it is a less than 5 minute drive to downtown and the old port. Just overall does not feel like a 3 star hotel.

Reviewed 9 September 2011

We stayed two nights here, having won the bid on Priceline (hint: bid less than $99; my bid was accepted the first try!!), and we were not disappointed. First, I called to confirm the reservation and asked if the room had a refrigerator or microwave. No. But the manager or desk attendant said he would move us up to a business class room, and so we had both. Thank you again!!

The lobby is inviting, but the sole elevator and the somewhat drab hallways and carpet were an initial concern, but we found our room updated and pleasant, with a king-sized bed, comfortable, very clean, and spacious enough. Large desk, shelf and drawer space, coffee maker, free wifi (although it is slow), and a decently-sized bathroom. We had plenty of towels. I especially was appreciative of the recycle waste basket. Every hotel should have these.

We enjoyed the hot tub but did not try the pool, which seemed (to the touch) to be heated. The pool area is quite large. A gym is across the hall.

The staff was extremely nice, and we had several occasions to discover this. First was our upgrade to business class. But while we were there, we had room key issues. First, we were given keys to the wrong room. Imagine that poor woman's shock when we opened her door. Several apologies from the desk later, we were given keys to the right room. Then I couldn't get an outside telephone line - they fixed that. On our second day, our keys would not work. The desk checked to see if we'd paid for two nights - yes! More apologies. And, finally, on our second night to the hot tub, all the pool lights were off. We asked for them to be turned on - they were, again with apologies, but it took quite a while. So, the staff is responsive (they did bring a blanket to my room) and very nice, but it is too bad we had to find out these ways!!

I definitely recommend this hotel unless you are expecting a 4- or 5-star hotel. In that case, well, of course you will be disappointed.

Room Tip: Call the hotel directly to see if a business-class room is available. We used Priceline and did not...
Reviewed 6 September 2011

The room was closed to the pool and smelled chlorine. At 8:00 in the morning, it's a lot of noise. The desk people had problem to smile. Not recommanded.

Reviewed 4 September 2011

Booked rather last minute on priceline - wanting a basic one night stay in Portland to break up a long road trip from Nova Scotia to Vermont. Really should have stayed with my trusted hotel brands. Rooms are completely outdated & stale. Bathroom is small & just shy of really clean. COMPLETELY frustrated to be in the shower and realize that there are NO bath towels...only hand towels. Seriously?! Had to basically drip dry. Anxious to check out, and will never stay here again.

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled solo
ClarionHotel, General Manager at Clarion Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 6 September 2011

Thank you for making time to share your experience with us KSims71. Please know that we would never intentionally deprive our guests of bath towels and I will make sure to share your experience with all of our housekeeping team to address this unfortunate oversight. I am indeed sorry for your inconvenience and understand your frustration.

Reviewed 3 September 2011

My wife and I recently stayed overnight at The Clarion as she had eye surgery at a nearby clinic.

Proximity to this clinic was the deciding factor in our choice of The Clarion Hotel. While we were prepared for a standard of service in keeping with a budget, chain hotel, we came away very pleasantly surprised with and impressed by all members of the Clarion staff we dealt with.

On check in Blaine offered information on the hotel's amenities without us having to ask and was quick to suggest we call him from the room if we had any questions about the hotel itself or the surrounding area. Caleb drove us to the clinic and was courteous and professional without being distant, a difficult task!

For breakfast we had planned on eating light, but the omelet bar was too tempting to pass up. Our server, Nancy, made suggestions for waffle toppings, strawberries and sour cream, that we would not have thought to try ourselves. Delicious! When she delivered our waffles and omelets to the table she had my wifes choices on larger plates than my own, obviously having noticed that my wife was having difficulty with her utensils given one eye being patched and pain medication slowing her down. This was done with no comment that could have made my wife self conscious and uncomfortable, and was very much appreciated. When we asked about a good place for a seafood dinner, Nancy recommended Street & Co. We followed her suggestion and were very pleased with her recommendation.

While asking at the desk for a cab for dinner that night we were given discount coupons for our taxi fare, unprompted. I am sorry that I neglected to get the young man's name, as I did want to be able to comment individually on each staff member who made our stay so positive, especially considering the circumstances of our visit. We hope to return someday on a more pleasurable visit to Portland.

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled on business

Thank you for making the time to share your experience with us April M. It pleases me and our entire team, that we were able to make you and your wife more comfortable during your stay. With our proximity to the medical community in Portland, we often have families stay under similar circumstances and our team tries hard to make them feel at home. I will make sure to share your comments with Blaine, Caleb and Nancy. They will be pleased to hear that they helped to make a difference.

Thank you for staying with us and for sharing your feedback.

Reviewed 28 August 2011

I had resereved to rooms the Clarion in Portland,ME for one night, mainly because of its proximty to the bus station. Although the staff is friendly and helpful, the accomadations are subpar, for example, there is no refrigerator or microwave in the rooms. There is only one ice machine and that is on the second floor. In one room the toliet leaked leaving a puudle on the bathroom floor, the other room had a leaking air conditioner leaving a wet carpet. In addition the hotel is in a not so desirable neighborhood. Would definitely avoid.

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled with family

Thank you for making the time to share your experience with us Rerewill. I appreciate your staying with us and am sorry to hear of your inconveniences. The mechanical failures you reference have been reviewed and addressed to avoid any further inconveniences. I'm grateful that you took the time to mention them so that we could take action. I am also sorry that we were unable to relocate you to one of our Business Class rooms which do provide a microwave and refrigerator. They sell out fast this time of year.

Thank you again for staying with us and for providing us with your feedback.