“Not quiet and bad services” 3 of 5 bubbles
Review of Clarion Hotel

Clarion Hotel
Ranked #15 of 19 Hotels in Portland
GreenLeadersBronze level
“Not quiet and bad services”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 April 2013

Its not the place we stay again. We stay here wen we return from a trip to new York. We book at the hotel for 3 nights. The temperature in the lobby was so chili. The termostat in our room, did not work. So the fan did not stop automaticly. It was freezing or realy hot. The wireless not work. We call at the front desk 3 times and the guy said they have no probleme with the internet. The second night, a group of yougn people stay on the same stair of us. We ear a party and door knock all night long. At 3 am. We call at the front desk and nobody came for the situation. So, we decide to just leave at the morning. We paid for3 nights, but we leave after just 2 night. Wen we check out, we talk about the all pro leme and the situation, but the the guy at the front desk dont offer us a rabait, or excuses. Nothing...... So, i never stay here and if u wont a calm stay, dont came at this place.

• Stayed March 2013
1 Thank basther
Greg M, General Manager at Clarion Hotel, responded to this review, 13 April 2013
Thank you for making the time to share your experience with us basther. I am sorry that your stay was not as you had hoped. We work hard to resolve any problems that may arise while our guests are with us. I look forward to speaking with you further about your stay.

Warm Regards.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (86)
Clovis, California
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 March 2013

I was travelingon business through Maine and picked this hotel off the internet. It was actually very nice and the service was also very nice. The only problem I would mention happened in the morning I went to the restaurant area where the breakfast was being served. I noticed that there was a buffet (self serve) type breakfast being served and there was no sign saying anything about any charge. So I served and seated myself and had the breakfast and just as I was ready to leave a server walked up and handed me a bill for $10. I was very surprised so I went out and checked again and there was no sign saying there was a charge for the breakfast. Then the guy sitting next to me with his wife and kids got his bill and he was surprised too. I just think they should put up a sign so people will know before they eat.

• Stayed August 2012, travelled on business
4 Thank Tim E
Greg M, General Manager at Clarion Hotel, responded to this review, 23 March 2013
Thank you for making the time to post Tim E.

We appreciate your business and your feedback. We do charge $8.95 for an all you can eat buffet (fruit, juice, yogurt, cereal, bacon, sausage, potatoes, French Toast sticks), which does include omelets and waffles made to order. I'm sorry this was not explained to you upon your arrival to the restaurant. Your post has been shared with our team to ensure we are giving correct information upon arrival.

We hope to see you as our guest another time.
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 March 2013

The staff at the hotel makes this place. They are all very friendly. The location was very close to downtown and the children's museum (5-7 minutes).

The rooms were just ok. The beds were comfortable but very very soft, when you sat on them it was like you sunk in. Besides that things were clean, but we noticed a lot of things that needed updating like the peeling wall paper by the window wall.

We booked this hotel for a weekend getaway with small kids because of the pool. On Friday night it was fantastic with just a few people in and out. However on Saturday, there was a huge Birthday party with tons of kids running around and I have no idea where the parents were. It was very loud, and it turned us off. I wish I had known that there was going to be rent a birthday parties at the pool with tons of extra people.

The pool itself was a little chilly for an indoor pool and the hot tub was just a little warmer then a bath. Both are in need of some cleaning and work but we enjoyed them none the less.

Breakfast was frustrating. Everyone who walked in looked clueless. It would be really helpful if you posted a sign/billboard at the front saying "This is how much, this is what is in the buffet and we also have omelets and waffles to order". We didn't know about the omelets and waffles until after we finished. The waitress seemed to be working hard, I'm not sure if she was by herself but she must have to repeat herself a million times a morning about what's included/how much.

Biggest complaint is that this is a 6 floor hotel and seemed to be very packed when we were there and there is only one TINY elevator that takes forever. Obviously there is stairs but we had an infant and a toddler.

And to boot, I was double charged. I booked through expedia and when I checked in I was confirmed paid in a full and checked my bank account upon return from the trip and was charged by the hotel also. I'm currently waiting a call back from the manager, ugh.

I wouldn't stay here again.

• Stayed March 2013, travelled with family
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Thank you for your post Joanie A. We appreciate your business and I am indeed sorry to hear you say you would not stay with us again. Our housekeeping team was pleased to hear your feedback on the cleanliness of the room.

I'm disappointed to hear that you were not informed of the second elevator we have on the other side of the guest corridors. I know its frustrating to have to wait. Our front office informed me that the charges to your card were reversed immediately, but I can also understand how even a short wait can be troubling.

Should there be an opportunity to have you back as our guest, please do not hesitate to call on me directly.
Old Orchard Beach Maine
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 March 2013

This was a great hotel for my daughters birthday. Management went out of their way to make sure that I had an adjoining room and everyone we encountered was very pleasant. The pool area was great for swimming but the hot tub at the end of the night needed some work. We reported the problem and it was corrected by the next morning. Our rooms were clean and well taken care of. A great value for the money!

• Stayed March 2013, travelled with family
Thanks Barbara D019!

I'm so happy to hear your daughter’s birthday was a success. We are a very family friendly hotel and our indoor pool comes in very handy this time of year.

We hope to see you again soon.
Portland, Maine
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 March 2013

I am a partially disabled 73 year old resident of Southern Maine who twice needed to escape my home becausae of severe weather conditions, one of those times being the "Blizzard of 2013"....On both occasions I found the clarion Hotel to be the perfect place....The hotel was inexpensive, clean, well appointed, and very accomodating....Don Lema, the Guest Services Manager at the desk was friendly and helpful every step of the way, and other staff, such as Patrick and Geri were courteous and very helpful when I needed it....The pub-style restaurant, Pete and Larry`s, was equally friendly, service good, and very good food...The breakfast buffet is a meat-lover`s paradise, the 1/2 pound burgers exceptional, and the beer-battered fish and hand cut french fries fabulous...All things considered, this will be my regular home away from home when I need one...I enthusiastically recommend it.... Ralph Zieff 3.8.13

• Stayed February 2013, travelled solo
Thanks Mr. Zieff!

From Don, Patrick, Geri and the whole Pete and Larry's team, you are welcome back anytime! We appreciated having you here during the storms. Feel free to come in for breakfast or dinner, even if the weather is great!
Saint John, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 March 2013

Took a shopping trip down to Portland for March Break and needed to book a hotel room last minute. We rolled the dice and booked the room through Priceline (about $50/night) and were not disappointed. The hotel was very nice with a decent size heated pool. The staff were super accommodating and very friendly (even provided us with a bottle opener for our wine). Free parking and wifi were a bonus. The room was clean and the beds were quite comfortable. The hotel rooms do need a bit of updating, but it's normal wear and tear. Hotel provides the choice of feather or non-feather pillows on the bed (which was nice). Location was good and easy to find off exit 5. Would definitely stay here again :)

• Stayed March 2013, travelled with friends
Thanks Tamara P!

We appreciate your positive feedback. Be on the lookout for some improvements in our guestrooms in the coming months.

I'm glad you came down to do your shopping. As you know we are pretty close to both the Maine Mall and downtown so you get the best of both worlds.

See you on the next trip.
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 March 2013

Last minute travel decision found me in Portland for a few days. Even without much prior notice, I was able to reserve my usual room, which was spotlessly cleaned and ready for my slightly early check-in. With the inclement weather, shuttle to/from the train station was greatly appreciated! The remodeled/relocated bar/restaurant was a welcome surprise. My only fault with it was the small size of the actual bar, in comparison to the larger size in the former location. Nonetheless, service and food/drinks were excellent. The front desk staff and management (especially Blaine) provided their usual high quality of customer service. Thanks, again, and I look forward to my next stay!

• Stayed February 2013, travelled solo
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Thank you Kaivenice for the nice post.

Blaine and the rest of the team appreciated seeing you again. I'm happy to hear you liked the renovations to the restaurant. You are correct that our old bar was bigger, but there is plenty of lounge seating to accommodate the masses!

We hope to see you again soon.