“Friendly staff, comfortable rooms!”
Review of Clarion Hotel

Clarion Hotel
Ranked #17 of 20 Hotels in Portland
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed 1 May 2013

My boyfriend and I stayed here in April 2013. The first desk staff was very friendly and helped us fix a botched Priceline reservation (will never use Priceline again!) and got us into a room quickly. They even gave us candy! The rooms were comfortable--a little noisy, but clean and well-maintained. I was a little concerned about the distance to the Portland Old Port area, but it was a $10 cab ride each way and ended up working out well. It was definitely worth saving the extra money by staying farther away.

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled as a couple
There are newer reviews for Clarion Hotel

Reviewed 21 April 2013

My cousin and I stayed here for 3 nights. We were greeted by a welcoming staff and well kept lobby. The decor is a bit more out-dated, but still homey. The room itself was nicely kept and comfortable. We had difficulty with the toilet at first because it kept running and creating noise. My cousin fixed that. Then, when I used the shower, I noticed the water did not drain correctly; however, I asked the following day for it to be looked at. By the time we returned, the bathtub drained perfectly. The beds were comfortable. Some things I noticed were: stained bathtub, no venting in bathroom, air conditioner/ heater in poor shape (smelled when turned on, broken vent, loud), and warm temperature of fitness room. The breakfast buffet is $8.95 and worth it. They have a chef make eggs, omelets and waffles (which are delicious). A great range of food for a good price. I enjoyed my stay at Clarion, but I do not know if it would be my first pick if I visited the area again. The location to the airport is great, as well a the free shuttle/taxi service there. My biggest complaint is the loudness of the cleaning service. The maids were very loud and not very pleasant. Those who worked up front made the trip a better experience. Overall, this was an enjoyable stay, but I am not sure if it will be my first choice next time.

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank Tina C
Reviewed 10 April 2013 via mobile

We have stayed at the Clarion when visiting Portland with our dog. The hotel is clean and comfortable. They choose to put those with dogs on the first floor which makes walking the dog easy. Rooms are on the small side. Bathrooms small without ventilation but for a short stay this is a pleasant place to stay.

• Stayed: April 2013
Greg M, General Manager at Clarion Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 13 April 2013

Thanks Bobbili! We appreciated having you and your dog with us. We believe that pets are so much like family we do not even charge a fee.

Thanks for staying with us and for making time to share your experience.

Reviewed 8 April 2013 via mobile

At the conclusion of a week in the Northeast we were worn out with driving, leaf peeping and shopping. We just needed a nice night of rest prior to our flight home. The Portland, Me Clarion Hotel was perfect. Very well maintained, clean comfortable room and so very close to the airport. We would stay here again.

• Stayed: October 2012

Thanks Jim B! We appreciate the fact that you made the time to share your experience. I'm happy to read that we were able to help you relax before your trip home. Our proximity to the airport and downtown make this both convenient and affordable.

Thanks again and we look forward to having you back.

Reviewed 8 April 2013

We enjoyed our stay when bringing our son to MEPS to ship out for the Army. All new recruits stay at this hotel and it is very convenient when family stay here too. The food in the restaurant was very good and good prices. The recruits get meal tickets to use for their meal, paid for by the Army. Quiet and clean rooms at an affordable price. I would stay here again.

Room Tip: Right beside the train station too. Very convenient!
  • Stayed: March 2013, travelled with family

Thank you so much Brenda-Maine! We are happy we could host you and your son before he goes off to serve his country. We know that it is hard for families and are proud to do what we can to make everyone feel at home.

Thank you for choosing to stay with us and for making the time to share your experience.

Reviewed 6 April 2013

I stayed at this hotel for 3 nights when my husband had surgery at Maine Medical. Most of the staff was great the location was perfect. The house keeping department has much to be desired.
First off I had to kill a centipede that was in my bathroom. Then I found old peanuts, jellybeans on the floor and behind the curtains and old food containers under the heater. This was a concern since I had my 16 month old Granddaughter with me.The phone was so dirty that I had to wash it before I could use it. I notified the front desk that the room needed to be cleaned. As I was leaving to go to the hospital the person in charge of house keeping came to the rm with the cleaning ladies and showed them the things that they had missed when they cleaned the rm. When I returned, late that night, I was very surprised to find that the peanuts, jelly beans, and food containers had not been removed. When I complained to the housekeeping manager the next morning all I got was a shrug of his shoulders. They did give me 1 night free because of the centipede, but I didn't want a free nights stay. I wanted a clean room. Will not stay here again. I agree with the others who complained about no internet service and the pool being cold. The staff at the front desk and in the dinning room were great.

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank snowryder59

Thank you for your response Snowyryder59. We appreciate the candor of your feedback and have shared the information with our team. This is certainly not the standard we aim to achieve and while mistakes can be made, we hold ourselves accountable when they do.

I am happy to announce that just this week we installed an entirely new wireless internet infrastructure and the speed increase is dramatic.

Thank you again for making the time to let us know about your experience.

Reviewed 4 April 2013

Its not the place we stay again. We stay here wen we return from a trip to new York. We book at the hotel for 3 nights. The temperature in the lobby was so chili. The termostat in our room, did not work. So the fan did not stop automaticly. It was freezing or realy hot. The wireless not work. We call at the front desk 3 times and the guy said they have no probleme with the internet. The second night, a group of yougn people stay on the same stair of us. We ear a party and door knock all night long. At 3 am. We call at the front desk and nobody came for the situation. So, we decide to just leave at the morning. We paid for3 nights, but we leave after just 2 night. Wen we check out, we talk about the all pro leme and the situation, but the the guy at the front desk dont offer us a rabait, or excuses. Nothing...... So, i never stay here and if u wont a calm stay, dont came at this place.

• Stayed: March 2013
1  Thank basther

Thank you for making the time to share your experience with us basther. I am sorry that your stay was not as you had hoped. We work hard to resolve any problems that may arise while our guests are with us. I look forward to speaking with you further about your stay.

Warm Regards.