“Fine for one night”

Clarion Hotel
Ranked #17 of 20 Hotels in Portland
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed 22 September 2013

My expectations were low, but I didn't want to pay the going rates in Portland for a quick stay at the end of a vacation. I took a known risk, but to my relief, I found the Clarion adequate for a one night stay.

Staff was both friendly and efficient at check in and check out and when I called on the phone to make a request for a room (from booking on Priceline they already had me down for a business class room with King bed, which was good; I asked for a higher floor and got the 6th). Room was clean and a nice size with a microwave and fridge. The bed was a little soft as were the pillows, but they gave you a lot of pillows and I slept well. Walls were a little thin, heard some hall noise. I was surprised that housekeeping was already knocking on doors before 9 a.m. when they have a 12 p.m. check out, so I guess if there's a do not disturb, be sure to put that out.

I thought the lobby was nice, but the elevator is dated and small and there was a smell of smoke or mustiness in our hall at times.

If I were staying for longer or looking for a nice night away, I'd likely go elsewhere, but since I really wanted just a bed for the night in reasonable comfort, this worked. Location was convenient, thought not right on Congress - you enter by the gas station.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
There are newer reviews for Clarion Hotel

Reviewed 19 September 2013 via mobile

While being a nice convention venue, there are some areas that need improvement, easy fixes in fact.
Housekeeping can wake the dead with their caterwauling at 9am. I mean, really? Check out is 11, or later for us Diamond Elite members.
Front desk only activated my door key for 3 days, when I was booked for 5? WTH? Really? Incompetence.
Business center is always out of paper, I should packed a 3rd bag with my own office equipment in it. Oh wait, the airlines won't let you check a bag like that. #guessimboned

And I would most certainly SKIP eating at the restaurant downstairs, Larry & Pete's. They can charge you for everything you order, but can't seem to make it to your table. Be sure to bring it to their attention so you won't be charged. And fully expect to sit for 15 minutes or longer without a drink refill, multiple times. Brink your own beverage If you cannot choke down your food dry. Just saying.

• Stayed: September 2013
2  Thank KEVIN N
Reviewed 19 September 2013

I was with 21 of my friends on a trip through Maine . We hit heavy traffic and were running several hours late. We called the Clarion and told them the situation. We had scheduled a buffet for that night. When we arrived we were informed that due to our stressful drive we were having complimentary wine with our dinner. The food was good. The rooms were clean. They had two kinds of pillows on each bed in case you need hypo-allergenic ones or down pillow if you preferred. In the morning we had breakfast there. They have a station that will make omelets, pancakes and waffles to your order. My friends only complaint on breakfast were there we no real sweet rolls out. They had muffins and (I think) bagels available. They had a coffee machine in the room and were glad to give extra coffee packs. We were given nice postcards of Portland with postage already paid for. It was great! Would definitely recommend the Clarion to anyone staying in Portland.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank Dianne19464
Reviewed 10 September 2013

The staff was very friendly on our visit here, and even offered to assist us with our luggage. The room was clean and quiet, and we even had a nice view of downtown. It's just a few minutes from downtown. We would definitely stay here again if visiting Portland.

• Stayed: November 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank CDF71
Reviewed 9 September 2013

My boyfriend and I have stayed here a couple of times when visiting Maine. The room decor is dated but it is always clean and the staff has always been great. We love to spend time in Old Portland and the cab ride from this hotel is always $10 or less (the front desk has coupons for ASAP taxi as well). The fact that this hotel is affordable allows us to use the money saved to enjoy other aspects of our trip to Portland.

Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Amanda D
Reviewed 6 September 2013

Friendly staff.. great rooms!! Great location near airport and loved the restaurant!! I can tend to be picky when it comes to hotels and thus one hit the mark!! Will be back and highly recommend!! Especially the suites!!

• Stayed: September 2013
1  Thank Travis R
Reviewed 4 September 2013

The hotel has a very nice lobby, but the hallways need updating. Plus, even though the hotel is now a non smoking property the hallway we were on still smelled like smoke. The room seemed reasonably clean but was a bit outdated. It had two double beds that were comfortable. The bathroom was small but seemed clean. The staff was friendly and helpful. Overall, it is a decent hotel, but 3 stars is a stretch. I got the room through Priceline so it was a reasonable value, but not worth the rate it was listed for through the non discounted web sites.

Stayed: September 2013, travelled with friends