“Old and worn”

Clarion Hotel
Ranked #17 of 20 Hotels in Portland
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed 2 August 2014

I chose this hotel to be close to family for a wedding. Clarion Hotels have historically been clean and comfortable. This hotel does not live up to that standard. The carpets in the room are dirty. The room is mildewed. In general the room is old and worn. Dylan at the front desk was gracious enough to get us into a different room tomorrow. Service here gets good marks, but room quality is too poor to rate the hotel over 2/5. Spend a little more and go to a fresher hotel.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Kurk H

Reviewed 31 July 2014

Came in late at night with a family of 5 and no reservation and were treated like kings. Gave us a great deal on our room for downtown Portland and even found another room for my wife and I. Very clean and the breakfast was included and very tasty. Staff was very helpful and accommodating.. Pool and hot tub were warm and clean.

• Stayed: July 2014
Reviewed 31 July 2014

I was apprehensive about this hotel because it was labeled, Clarion Airport Portland. I reserved from Priceline so I didn't know it was close to airport, but it was fine. Couldn't hear airplanes(I was on the 1st floor). I think I heard one. Didn't use pool, but it looked great. Peter at check-in was friendly, but can't say to much about the rest of the front desk people I encountered. Good location to downtown. Didn't eat there so can't comment about the food, but bartender was friendly and made a great drink. I would stay there again!

Room Tip: Ice machines only on 2nd and 4th floors.
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 27 July 2014

Needed to find a place to stay for one night before going home and getting on a plane early the next morning. I was with my two teenagers and we had been hiking the incredible Baxter State Park/Katahdin and had just driven 3 hours to get there. The reviews on Tripadvisor were all over the map and we took a chance.
We found hairs in the bathtub, used soap in the tub, sticky rings of something on the bedside table and around the TV. The curtains are stained and the carpet lifted and seems to be rotten, near the AC unit. Sadly in need of a reno and then the elevator door seemed to go off track and so we went up and down 5 flights of stairs. Hard to believe I spent more than $220 that night.

Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 25 July 2014

Family Member hospitalized over a Holiday weekend. The Clarion had one King size room left that they rented me for a discounted Hospital rate and included a $10 Breakfast buffet coupon. The room had a microwave, refrigerator and hair dryer. The room was clean right down the street from Maine Medical and the desk staff was extremely kind and professional. I would stay there again.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled solo
Reviewed 25 July 2014

We stayed at this Clarion hotel on the tail end of a vacation to Canada and Maine. Normally, we stay in 4 or 5 star hotels but were watching the budget at the end of our trip. This Clarion was a very pleasant surprise. The outside is a bit dreary but then the area was actually a bit dreary overall. Inside, the staff and the atmosphere made this one of the best hotels that we've stayed in this year. The check in staff are nice, helpful, and welcoming. They have maps and brochures at the check in desk as well as refreshments (lemonade and crackers). They have 3-4 coffee carafes on a side table in the evening with all the condiments anyone might want. There are oil paintings on the wall that are very well done and in great taste. The restaurant and bar area is past the check in desk and smells wonderful. It never appeared very busy but not completely dead either. I had a glass of wine from the bar that was excellent. The rooms are pleasant and clean. Similar to one you might stay in at a Sheraton or Hyatt. The Wi-Fi is free and has a great connection which is EXTREMELY important on a vacation and is NOT the case at many of the fancier hotels. We did not eat at the hotel but it 'looked' and smelled good from a distance.

Room Tip: Free shuttle to the airport.
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank SusanCully
Reviewed 25 July 2014

Friendly and helpful staff willing to go the extra mile to make guests' stay a positive and memorable one. The hotel, itself is well maintained with very clean, comfortable and updated rooms. Quality food in the hotel restaurant as well. The one and only thing to make this the "perfect" place would be to update to adjustable mattress for those with back injuries and/or ailments.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family