“THE BEST CUSTOMER SERVICE I HAVE EVER, EVER HAD!!”
Review of Clarion Hotel

Clarion Hotel
Ranked #18 of 21 Hotels in Portland
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed 16 November 2010

I was extremely comfort able at this Clarion. The staff was amazing, simply amazing! They went out of there way to make my visit perfect! After reading all the negative reviews about this place, I'm simply glad that I did not take the reviews seriously. The place is old and non-frill, but very well maintained. For the price and the ammenties offered, I rate this Hotel Top-Notched. It was the customer service that was the best I've ever received ANYWHERE!

• Stayed: November 2010
1  Thank LisasVacations

Reviewed 14 November 2010

Paid $60/night, 3-4star hotel, decor is abit dated but clean and comfortable, good bed, very close to train and airport with on site shuttle service, 5-10 min. drive to shopping areas. Minimal noise from airport. We will stay again.

• Stayed: November 2010, travelled with family
Reviewed 27 October 2010

The lobby and public area was very nice, but the room, and halls leading to it were in need of some updating. I really don't think they should allow pets if they don't vacuum the rugs on a regular basis

• Stayed: October 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 20 October 2010

I've said it before and I'll say it again -- I sometimes wonder what people expect when they go to a hotel like this. If they are looking for 5-start accommodations and perfection, then stay somewhere that will cost you way more than this.

I got this hotel for $75 for one night on Priceline. It was my first go with Priceline and I was worried, especially after reading some of the reviews here. In the end, I stayed one night, but would have been more than happy to stay for more.

THE GOOD

The check-in process was quick and painless. The front-desk staff were excellent the couple of times I needed something. They were friendly and quick.

The room looked excellent when I got in. It was clean, the internet worked well and it had everything I could need.

The bathroom was spotless and the water pressure in the shower was good enough. It was what I would expect from a 2.5-3-star hotel. Not anything grand, but not a dump, either.

The hotel is in an excellent location, close to the Old Port and easy to get downtown. There's spots nearby to be able to eat and there's a gas station in front of the hotel should you need to fill up or grab a few snacks.

THE BAD

I have only three minor complaints. And these wouldn't come close to persuading me to not stay here again.

- The bed was a little stiff for my liking, but that happens. I tossed and turned a bit during the night, but in the end slept OK.

- Lack of outlets in important spots. I wanted to sit in the one chair with my feet on the ottoman, watch some TV and surf the net a little. Finding an outlet that wasn't on the desk was difficult, so I ended up sitting at the desk. This seems to be at most hotels, though.

- Hot water. It took a bit for the hot water in the shower to kick in and then for it to find a happy medium when I was trying to dial it down a bit.

OVERALL THOUGHTS

This was an excellent hotel for a stay. I would easily stay here for a few days as the goods highly outweigh any minor negatives. The room was decently spacious and worked for a stay.

It's an overall solid spot and well worth a night's stay or more.

• Stayed: October 2010, travelled solo
2  Thank softball29
Reviewed 18 October 2010

The lobby looks like it has been updated recently. Other than that, it looks very dated and tired inside and out. The hallways are dark, musty. The rooms have not been updated in many years. The front desk were nice enough, but overall below average. I wouldn't say "poor", just below average. Not a good first impression of Clarion hotels.

• Stayed: September 2010, travelled with family
Reviewed 12 October 2010

My wife and i stayed here over Columbus day weekend and even though they are remodeling, we had a great stay. The front desk agent was helpful and the rooms were spacious and clean. cab ride to the old port cost $8 - 10 so no problem there.

would stay/recommend

• Stayed: October 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 12 October 2010

We stayed at the Clarion for not the normal reasons; our son was in he hospital at Maine Medical Center for 21 days following a tragic accident. I cannot say enough about the staff, especially Jonathan, Caleb and Wayne. They took our grief personally, and gave us our space. They shuttled us where we needed to go, and always respected our privacy, while also inquiring how we were doing,etc. We felt as though we were among new family. I would like to say that the room, while not perfect, was always clean, and we were well cared for. The hotel itself is great, free internet, laundry service available, free coffee in the lobby, and a really good breakfast. Also, the bed and pillows are wonderful. The location can't be beat as well.

• Stayed: September 2010, travelled on business