“Very good, reasonable prices, nice place”
Review of The Green Elephant

The Green Elephant
Ranked #4 of 634 Restaurants in Portland
Price range: US$10 - US$15
Cuisines: Thai
Good for: Business meetings, Child-friendly, Local cuisine
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Takeout
Description: Asian-inspired cuisine made with love.
Reviewed 30 July 2012

We'd chosen it on the basis of some internet searching. It's a very nice space, not "funky", but rather mainstream-looking, casual, seating about 45. On Friday and Saturday nights, you'll have to wait. Waitstaff very knowledgeable. For food of this quality and level, prices are extremely reasonable. Mostly vegan offerings.
It's in the "Arts" district of town, & is not a convenient walk from the Old Waterfront area. On-street parking in this area is a challenge. Right across the street from the State St. Theatre.

There are newer reviews for The Green Elephant

Reviewed 28 July 2012 via mobile

Whether you're vegetarian, vegan, or an omnivore you'll walk out of the green elephant satisfied. Creative, Asian inspired dishes served in ample portions at good prices. The restaurant often features local and seasonal ingredients and ever changing specials.

The servers are friendly and knowledgeable and the kitchen is timely.

I'm a local vegan who eats here all the time. I recommend the brussel sprouts, roti canai, and soy meat and herb salad, as standards. The goji berry soup is awesome and their pad Thai is my favorite in town. There's nothing on the menu I don't like.

Reviewed 28 July 2012

We made a daytrip to Portland about a week ago. We decided to seek out a vegetarian restaurant. We found The Green Elephant on Trip Advisor, liked what we saw on the reviews and walked over from Old Port. We were immediately greeted on a Friday evening around 6:30 and were fortunate to have no wait and were seated right away. We reviewed the menu, and asked a few questions that were happily answered by our friendly waitress. As it's been more than a week, I forget the names of the vegan dishes we ordered, but my wife and I were super impressed. Everything we ordered was truly amazing. The app was fantastic (veggie dumplings?). And my main course included broccoli, rabe, brown rice, and was one of the best meals I've had out in years. So incredibly full of flavor, and yet so healthy...who would've thought?! I should say neither of us are vegan, and while we've cut down on our red meat consumption, we still eat a fair amount of chicken and fish. Even so, we were really amazed at how good the food was, and when we travel around, now find ourselves looking for other vegetarian restaurants. We also LOVED our dessert, an orange mousse pie! And with the top notch service this place is awesome. Next time we're in Portland, I already know where we will be eating!

Reviewed 27 July 2012

My daughter and I enjoyed a terrific lunch a the Elephant last summer. We are returning to Portland for a "girl's weekend." We can't wait to go back. EVERYTHING we tried was great. So many good choices...neat, clean restaurant....friendly waitstaff. Good beer choices

Reviewed 18 July 2012

We just had lunch at The Green Elephant. This was our first time dining there. I have to say, everything I have heard about this place is true. The restaurant itself is clean and modern. The staff was very friendly and service was perfect. The food is nothing short of amazing. For appetizers, we shared the fried brussel sprouts which had a nice smokey grilled flavor, and the veggie dumplings, which were also very good. My wife had the Thai noodles and I had the Panang Curry. Both were top notch and ample. We shared a dessert of fried bananas with ice cream and both enjoyed it. The food was all very fresh and full of flavor. The chefs here know how to prepare vegetarian food that is for sure! I can't wait to go back.