“Quality food in a wonderful surrounding”
Review of The Green Elephant

The Green Elephant
Ranked #5 of 614 Restaurants in Portland
Price range: US$10 - US$15
Cuisines: Asian, Thai
Good for: Child-friendly, Kids, Local cuisine, Special Occasion Dining
Description: Asian-inspired cuisine made with love.
Saratoga Springs, New York
“Quality food in a wonderful surrounding”
Reviewed 13 October 2013

With my girlfriend being vegetarian she really wanted to go here based on the reviews. We had an exhausting day and decided to do takeout and bring it back to our hotel. The restaurant space itself is really nice and relaxing, would be a great date spot. The hostess was very friendly and helpful with questions. The menu was quite impressive even for a meat eater like myself, lots of interesting items to experience. We ended up getting a few appetizers as our meal and I highly recommend the Fresh Rolls, my girlfriend still talks about them weeks later.

• Hebrew first
Portland
“Lovely!”
Reviewed 12 October 2013 via mobile

Great vegetarian spot with reasonable prices and wonderful food! Love the asparagus salad & Brussel sprouts!

Great Falls, Virginia
“Very Good Lunch”
Reviewed 11 October 2013

Finally made it to this place after years of trying to time it right when we were in town. Very good lunch - terrific vegetarian options.

• Visited October 2013
Boston, Massachusetts
“Perfect Dinner in Portland”
Reviewed 4 October 2013 via mobile

I am visiting Portland for the first time for the Maine Marathon and found the Green Elephant when searching for a place to get a vegan meal. The restaurant itself is very cosy, situated on Congress Street in downtown Portland, where a lot of fun things were happening outside on the street (vendors, performers, etc). The interior is very peaceful and classy, and it is small but can accommodate about 15 tables.
The meal was out of this world. I started with the crispy wontons and they came to my table just a few minutes after I ordered. Crispy, crunchy, totally delicious. For dinner I got the pad Thai without egg (the servers are happy to substitute and omit certain products for you) and it was amazing. For dessert, I ordered the fried banana and coconut ice cream. So great!
In addition to the awesome food and environment, the service I received was top-notch. My water glass was never empty and all the servers were very cordial and made me feel at home. A really wonderful dining experience!

Stratham, New Hampshire
“Fantastic vegetarian place in a foodie city”
Reviewed 6 September 2013

Portland, ME is now very clearly on the map. Even The New York Times says it's a foodie destination. Absolutely delicious vegetarian restaurant with vegan and gluten free options, as well. This is Asian fusion at its most tasty, with influences of Thai, Singaporean and Indian cuisine. We started with the Brussels Sprouts appetizers and nearly ordered a second batch. They were SO good. Even people with food allergies can probably find something here. Great service and really helpful, knowledgeable servers. Love this place.