“Very please by the large Vegan selections”
Review of The Green Elephant

The Green Elephant
Ranked #5 of 626 Restaurants in Portland
Price range: US$10 - US$15
Cuisines: Thai
Good for: Local cuisine, Business meetings, Child-friendly
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Takeout
Description: Asian-inspired cuisine made with love.
Cape Elizabeth, Maine
“Very please by the large Vegan selections”
Reviewed 6 November 2013

My wife and I just stopped in for a few appetizers to hold us over between lunch and dinner and give us the energy to walk around the Old Port. We had the Chive Dumplings, Deep Fried Vegetarian Spring Rolls and Crispy Wonton. Each appetizer if I recall correctly was $6; and just enough for two people; four spring rolls, 7 dumplings and 6 wontons. If I had to find a fault I might say I would have liked a little more filling in the spring rolls; however everything arrived to the table quickly, hot and with the appropriate dipping sauce. I would stop by the Green Elephant again when walking around Portland Maine and recommend it.

• Visited November 2013

• Hebrew first
East Greenwich, Rhode Island
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Wonderful vegetarian food!!”
Reviewed 3 November 2013

We had a fantastic meal. Crispy won tons and dumplings were out of this world. Ginger noodles and Tofu Tikka Masala were delicious. We highly recomend The Green Elephant for everyone - not just vegetarians!!

• Visited October 2013
maine
“Food so good it might turn me into a vegetarian!”
Reviewed 2 November 2013

I am an unapologetic carnivore. But hunting for a restaurant one night, I came across the Green Elephant, which had an elegance that made me stop to take a look at the menu. In the mood for Asian-type food, I decided to give it a try, despite the fact I usually feel a meal without meat is missing something.

I ordered the vegetarian dumplings and the char guay teow, (malaysian-style rice noodles with tofu, peanuts, and chili paste.) From beginning to end, this meal was a delight, packed with such sumptuous flavor that I get hungry just thinking about it. The dumplings were tender and delicate. The rice noodles were a revelation -- swoon-worthy and completely satisfying. The only criticism I might have is that the veggie "ham" seemed unnecessary to the dish -- the tofu alone was all it needed.

I've never had vegetarian food this good. I didn't miss the meat at all; in fact, I'd choose this meal over almost any other meal as one of the best I've ever had.

Now if I can just convince my carnivorous husband to accompany me next time...

• Visited October 2013
Ithaca, New York
“Unique dishes, reasonable prices, good vibe”
Reviewed 20 October 2013 via mobile

We don't get to visit vegetarian restaurants too often, so we probably would have been happy with anything. However, we were delighted by the unique Thai-inspired curries, noodle dishes, and rice dishes.

The Pineapple Rice had a soy "meat" that was delicious. The curry was a bit spicy, given I chose mild, but had a veritable cornucopia of vegetables along with perfectly-cooked tofu. This, one of the best meals we had in recent memory, came to under $25! The casual/quirky vibe and friendly service made this a perfect lunch.

Jacksonville, Florida
“Fresh veggie or vegan food”
Reviewed 13 October 2013

Two of my kids are Vegan so this is a "go to" favorite. Vegan or not, everything we've had here has been fantastic. Pad Thai is especially good. Plus everyone is so friendly. The only downer is that it is too small to drop in for a quick bite because you are going to have to wait in line for a table. If you have time, it is worth the wait.

• Visited September 2013