“Pleasantly surprised”

Budget Traveler Inn & Suites
We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Presque Isle
Budget Traveler Inn & Suites
Ranked #5 of 5 Hotels in Presque Isle
Reviewed 26 May 2013 via mobile

We needed a cheap place to stay and had been tenting, so reluctantly I agreed to try the budget inn. It looks pretty sketchy from the outside, and the lobby smelled like cigarette smoke, so I was regretting the decision before we even went to the room. We entered to find a very clean, pleasant smelling room with all the basics, including a micro fridge. We borrowed an iron and ironing board from the front desk and we were set to start work the next day. For what it is, this hotel deserves a good review.

• Stayed: May 2013
2  Thank HoboHealth
There are newer reviews for Budget Traveler Inn & Suites

Reviewed 29 March 2013

The good: The room was large and even had a full size couch, the bed was comfy, fridge with freezer and microwave in room, and a really bubbly, friendly front desk gal that was able to move things around to allow us to stay in our room for an unexpected additional night (our room was reserved by someone else for that night), continental breakfast, pet friendly for no additional cost.

The bad: The walls are paper thin and if someone is staying in the room above yours, it sounds like a herd of elephants walking around and you can hear the toilet noises. Not a big fan of listening to someone peeing. The bathrooms are TINY. I am not a big person by any means and when sitting on the toilet, my leg was against the wall. The bathtub was slippery and the little sink was right next to the room door, which just seems odd to me. The room smelled funky.

Would I stay here again? I would have to say yes, but I would bring some earplugs to sleep with so I would not be woken up by the noise upstairs.

Room Tip: Stay on the 2nd floor to avoid having the noise from people walking around above you.
  • Stayed: March 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank AmusedMuse
Reviewed 14 February 2013

We had stayed here before and it was great. We had to go back up north for a family matter so made a reservation for two nights. I will start off with the postive. It is a nice clean big room and a good rate. Also they allow pets at no extra charge. Last stay was great, this one was okay. Again clean room good rate. Hospitality was horrible. The front desk girl that was there was terrible. First off when we checked in she maybe said three words to us and one I dont even think was hi or welcome. Second, she had people hanging out with her at the front desk. We left for more then a few hours and when we came back a girl, I think one of the ones from earlier was still there hanging out with her. So I made a comment to my fiance, "is she really still hanging out"? Really... way to do your job. Must be nice to get paid to hang out be rude to guests and talk all night with a friend. I worked in a motel before and never did I do that. I did my job and went above and beyond for my guest phone calls or when they came to the desk. So when we came out of the vending area one of them made a loud rude mummble of some sort to us. NOT IMPRESSED. At one point I asked for a do not disturbe sign. She rudely said "there is one in the room!" I said "no there is not, we looked" She then went to look for one but, they had none so she stole one from another room. Really you should have plenty of thoes on hand. Oh and when we first checked in she said let me check if your room is clean. I made a reservation for one and it was past 5pm. Not what you want to here. Makes you wonder. Also, they have DVD players in the room but, no remote. So I called down to ask. We do at the desk she said. I just thought that was a little of an inconvenience. You have the tv remote in there why not the one for the DVD player. So I got it and the batteries were dead go figure. I had to send my fiance after another one when he came back from being with his family thats how much I did not want to deal with that girl. I would also like to state that when I would call the front desk she never said hi, front desk or her name. I called done a few times in the stay. I have a back ground in customer/guest services and I expect good service. She did not give even fair service. As for the room it was clean but, the plumming was bad. The tub filled just a few minutes after being in the shower and the toliet was loud and ran every few minutes. Also it being winter in Maine the front entrance was an ice rink. They didn't put sand or rock salt down. I almost slipped a few times and another lady said she did as well. If I slip my knee cap has a great chance of dislocating so I was not impressed. She knew it was all ice and saw me grab on and take it real slow getting in. So why couldn't she or someone else put rock salt or sand down? Last time we stayed I am assuming we had no one next to use because the second night of our stay we did. Learned the walls are very thin. So that was not the greatest. We just could here the guys tv and every little sound he made.

Room Tip: Get room in back away from main road. Request to not be next to anyone if possible.
  • Stayed: February 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Wicked82
Shawn G, Front Office Manager at Budget Traveler Inn & Suites, responded to this reviewResponded 20 April 2013

I would like to take the time to address your complain with a proper response and let it be known you have my sincerest apologies. Unfortunately I'm afraid I'm unable to change your experience in retrospect and wish this would of come to my attention sooner. The employee you described had been issued several warnings about having personal guests loitering in the establishment as well as her surly attitude. She is no longer employed at our place of business. I assure you we've gone to great lengths in our diciplinary action with regards to the very complaints you've made along with other valued patrons since your stay. In conclusion, I hope you accept my apology on behalf of myself and everyone else employed at this location as a small token of recognition for your inconvenience. Take care.

Reviewed 2 January 2013

We had stay a few times at this hotel before our recent stay which will be our last. I Accidentally left my iPhone on the nightstand when checking out. About 15minutes after leaving the hotel I returned to get my phone. The lady working the front desk was not very interested in helping. She stood up to go check the room then changed her mind and sat down. She told me I could go find house keeping myself. Our room was open, the sheets were gone and so was my phone. House cleaning claimed they didn't see it. I want to believe she was telling the truth but I was positive where I left it. I Double checked the car and my bag just to be certain. I Asked to use a computer to track my phone with the Find My iPhone app. They told me I could go to the local library but said it was probably closed. Weird considering this hotel advertises free WiFi. Thankfully the kind employees at Lowes and Verizon Mobility were able to help me. The iPhone tracking app indicated the phone was indeed in the hotel. The cellular device agents said the app would pin point the phone within about 15 feet. Long story short: the employees thought it was logical that my phone disappeared in thin air as they claimed they were all honest. Strangely my phone went for a walk in the woods behind the hotel by itself that night and the next morning it was back in the hotel according to the tracker device on my phone. When I called back the next morning they claimed they checked the entire hotel and asked how exact my tracker would be. It's unfortunate one dishonest act by someone ruins your stay. the night front desk man was very nice to dig through the garbage ( he was not working when my phone went missing). We asked to speak to the manager but was told they don't work weekends and we would have a hard time to reach them during the week. Needless to say we won't be going back. As for calling the manager: I don't trust that I will actually speak to the manager even if we did reach them.

• Stayed: December 2012
5  Thank HappyToTravel2013

Let me start by saying, I'm sorry you lost your phone. However, I do stand by the integrity of the people I've employed. You called and ran a trace on said handset, as did I. According to the operater trace from your carrier; the GPS stated it had never left this location. I happen to be a rather tech savvy indivual. Sparing you that credentials, experience and jargon; I'll take a moment to stress the fact that ANY smartphone, including your iPhone 4 is rendered inoperative immediately upon reporting it lost or stolen, as I suspect you've done? This means that the IMEI becomes blacklisted and can not be of any use to anyone but it's rightful owner, ever. I'm afraid the incentive for anyone here to have stolen your phone is pointless, expecially the only housekeeper I had working that shift. Unfortunately, even the GPS tracking feature is a bit of a pipe dream after this much time has passed considering where it was left, if it was damaged or the battery has died in it completely. I can sincerely claim this is the only complaint of theft I've heard in the three years I've been working here. I'm sure this does little to sway your opintion but rest assured, I will keep my eyes open this spring while doing the property care and if I find it you're absolutely welcome to it. We thank you for your business in the meantime and hope we can reach some closure on it's whereabouts one way or the other.

Reviewed 4 June 2012

Worst hotel we have ever stayed in and we have travelled all across the US. I found the night desk clerk to be extremely arrogant and ignorant. It was one of the dirtiest hotels we ever stayed in. There was a foul ordor in the room and when we tried to open the window there was no screen. We also checked for bed bugs.

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled as a couple
13  Thank John L

The evening I arrived at 11pm, the front desk employee working explained to me that she had explained the rules of our parking lot. The employee asked the guest to move his motorcycle over to the paved area rather than the sidewalk/dining area. He refused, John found it reasonable to move our entire picnic table and propane grill in order to accomodate a 'suitable' parking spot in our outdoor dining area. He stated to the employee that if the "manager had a problem, to call him". This in fact, did cause a problem since his vehicle also was blocking an emergency exit from our laundry room. Our facility uses propane gas industrial dryer units; I don't feel the need to continue justifying an Emergency Exit. I called his room and asked him to move his motorcycle. John then came through the lobby on the way to his vehicle while cursing at me, clearly unpleased. He then proceeding in moving his motocycle (Harley Davidson), while roaring his engine in nuetral at midnight as he idled it into it's proper place. A feat he could of accomplished by merely leaving it turned off entirely. This is something even the most novice or 'weathered riders' as himself would be aware of. When He reentered the building he approached the counter calling me a number or names and making vague threats. At this point I persisted he that he return to his room and stop disturbing the other guests as well as harrassing me, to which he momentarily complied. Twenty minutes later, John returned to pay me a second visit since I suspect he was not satisfied in his prior verbal lashing and then began with the same curse words, names and threats. It's about the time he yelled "what are you going to do, call the cops?", that I then called the local police department to have him escorted from the premesis. The situation could of been difused several times but the guest was relentless. This was completely uncalled for and unfair to the other guests who made complaints the following morning.

Reviewed 2 November 2011

I got a deal through my booking company, they offered me about $45 a night for 5 nights, very cheap, so I expected a junk hotel. This place was just what it boasts. Great TV's with DVD players and FREE movie rentals from the front desk! A great continental breakfast in the morning that puts other low price hotels to shame, free internet and all rooms are kitchenettes with microwaves and fridges. If you're in Aroostook County and just need a place to call it a night, the budget traveler is really great, and the prices are very competitive to other hotels in the region. My only complaints are how far it is from any main areas, it's about 2 miles from the center of Presque Isle, in the more rural part of the city. There are not many attractions or shopping opportunities in a 3 mile radius, you have to travel a little ways to the Aroostook Centre Mall. Other than that, this is a very quality hotel with very low prices, I would love to stay there again.

Room Tip: Make sure to pick rooms towards the back of the hotel, it's close to U.S. Route 1, which has a l...
  • Stayed: December 2010, travelled with family
2  Thank Yendi
Reviewed 5 September 2011

My family and I had a two night stay in early July, due to relocation. We found the budget traveler clean, and accomodating for each of us, to the fullest. The staff was courteous, and eager to meet our needs. I will continue to recommend this establishment to family and friends, and if the occasion ever arises again... we look forward to our next visit. Kudos to Budget Traveler!
D. Black, Punta Gorda, Fl.

Stayed: July 2011, travelled with family
#1 of 1 in Perth-Andover
Crown Park Inn
Crown Park Inn
#2 of 2 in Caribou

Been to Budget Traveler Inn & Suites? Share your experiences!