“The Old Goat”

Cuisines: American
Dining options: After-hours
Dining options: After-hours
Reviewed 21 October 2013

We were visiting our son and daughter-in-law in Maine last weekend. They suggested that we have lunch at the Old Goat. I went on-line to look at the menu and what they offered.

I was concerned because the reviewers talked about was the bartender who was nasty. Very little was said about the food.

I have over 30 years experience in the food service industry, including 5 star hotels.

The food was excellent...service outstanding. Nachos were the best we've had in years. We all had sandwiches and I can't wait to go back and try the pizza. Beer icy cold.

We met the bartender/cook/owner and could not have met a more cordial, hospitable person. Gordan Ramsey always tells restaurants that they should find what they can do well, stick with that and get rid of the extensive, overwhelming menus. These folks working out of a corner of the bar have done just that. Keep it simple and you will be successful. They have found this combination and are successful.

I just wish we were there on Sunday for the Chili Cook-off.

We will be back soon.

3  Thank Richard G

Reviewed 5 August 2013

Was very pleasantly surprised by the amazing pizza in this little out of the way place! (for me anyway) Friendly service, lots of great beers, and the pizza.....can't wait to get back there!

1  Thank GWarren25
Reviewed 29 June 2013

Pizza is amazing - best in the Augusta area, great beers on draft, love the ambiance of the restored building. Yes, you might have to wait, and yes you might get heckled, but there is a reason the locals love this place - it's awesome.

1  Thank yumyumcake
Reviewed 17 June 2013

If being treated like crap and being surrounded by incompetence is what you’re looking for, then look no more, you found it. The Bartender is rude and the wait staff has been well trained in bad service. After reading the reviews I became very curious, Can a Pub really be that bad or good depending on what you’re looking for. I went in and ordered up a cold brew and wouldn’t you know it, I received my fair share of abuse. I didn’t order any food because the abuse I received ordering a drink was adequate, I didn’t want to over stay my welcome. The Owner makes you feel real good about leaving, I think I’m going to bring friends in with me next time so I can be entertained by their reaction….The OLD GOAT, Yes he is, Well played I say….WARNING. Don’t bring Family or loved ones.

3  Thank Dennis D
Reviewed 4 May 2013

My husband and I are hoping to move to the area, so decided to check out some local inning options. After all, it's all about the food, right? We tried The Old Goat last night, and even if we don't move to the area, we will be back! The food was excellentM. We had one of the paninis and a salad. We saw pizza being devoured on the table next to us that looked delioous. Service was great, especially when you realized our waiter (also the owner) was bar tending and waiting on every customer (and the p,ace was packed). It clearly is a place locals love and appreciate, and everyone was enjoying a wonderful spring Friday night on the river. Oh, and did I mention the great wine and beer selections? And affordable prices? And cool building with lots of history? Don't skip coming here!

1  Thank saucycontessa