“Go. If you are in Rockland, go.”

Farnsworth Art Museum
3-Day New England Country Christmas
Ranked #1 of 37 things to do in Rockland
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 1-2 hours
Owner description: Celebrating Maine's Role in American Art, the Farnsworth Art Museum offers a nationally recognized collection of works from many of America's greatest artists. With 20,000 square feet of gallery space and over 15,000 works in the collection, there is always something new on view at the Farnsworth. The museum has one of the largest collections of works by sculptor Louise Nevelson. Its Wyeth Center features works of Andrew, N.C. and Jamie Wyeth. The Farnsworth's library is also housed in its Rockland, ME, campus. Two historic buildings, the Farnsworth Homestead and the Olson House, and Julia's Gallery for Young Artists complete the museum complex.
Albuquerque, New Mexico
25 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 34 helpful votes
“Go. If you are in Rockland, go.”
Reviewed 27 August 2014

A wonderful museum with fabulous art. Of you are in Rockland, stop and visit. You will not be disappointed, I promise!

Vieques, PR
4 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 22 helpful votes
“Go here to see Wyeth”
Reviewed 27 August 2014

This relatively small museum is known especially for it's extensive collection of art by N.C., Andrew and James Wyeth. There are a number of splendid works, particularly by Andrew. While the art is spread among several buildings, the museum is still very easy to visit even if you are pressed for time.

Big D
11 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“Does the Farnsworth really want patrons?”
Reviewed 26 August 2014 via mobile

A bad policy and rudeness make me wonder if the Farnsworth Museum even wants visitors.
And, unfortunately, until the Farnsworth addresses these issues, I will not be back...even after visiting the Olson House and the Ogunquit Museum of American Art to learn more about the Wyeths.
My friend and I were visiting the Farnsworth when a "guard" approached my friend who was wearing a purse which fit her back rather like a backpack, only it was much slimmer. He asked her to wear her purse on her shoulder or in front. She explained that she had rheumatoid arthritis and that was why she had the purse on her back. He seemed understanding of her medical condition and said others wearing blue might approach her and ask the same question but to tell them he had already given his approval.
We were in the Shaker Exhibit when a younger guard in blue approached my friend and said the museum had a strict rule against wearing backpacks. She tried to explain that she had already been approached about her purse and it had been okayed. But, she was upset to be asked...not twice but three times.
Then, I realized the young man had rounded up the third guard to follow us around. We are both retired high school teachers who have been to museums all over the world, but we've never been followed by guards as if we had intended to harm the art. As teachers, we do respect rules when they are fair; but we also hope that the museums make accommodations for people with medical conditions. Walkers, canes, wheelchairs...are allowed and rightly so. My own purse, carried on my arm, was much larger than the purse my friend was wearing. A new policy might include some common sense and even a bright sticker on the item (purse) to indicate that it has been approved. Simple solutions could resolve unpleasant situations.
And, both the patrons and probably the guards would appreciate it.

Marlborough, Connecticut
13 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 21 helpful votes
“You'll be watched like a hawk!”
Reviewed 21 August 2014

I have always wanted to come to the Farnsworth Museum as I am a huge fan of Andrew Wyeth. We went with our three children, 12, 10 and 7. From the second we walked in the museum we were watched like a hawk. My children and I frequent museums, they know how to behave, and were standing right next to me, being very quite and respectful. A "guard", and I use that term lightly, came up to me and asked that I not let my children run around as it disturbs people around us. They weren't running around. I nodded and said I understand, and told my kids not to run around. We started to walk to another painting and he followed us and continued on that there are elderly people walking through the museum and they just pop up out of nowhere and the kids could knock them over. Again, my children were right next to me and not running around, again, I said I understood. He continued to lecture me about not letting the children run around. He then followed us around the gallery until I got so uncomfortable I left the museum!

There were other families with children there and they were also being followed around. None of those children were running around either. Even the adults alone seemed to be followed closely. I have never felt so unwelcome in a museum. It was a nice little museum, and it was great to see the originals of some of my favorite Andrew Wyeth paintings, but I felt very unwelcome. I will not go back.

1 Thank Carrie P
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
24 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 22 helpful votes
“shaker museum”
Reviewed 21 August 2014

This museum is well worth a visit if only to see the shaker exhibition.
There is also an amazing collection of Andrew Wyeth.