All reviewsfrank pjturret roomgreat hostsricotta pancakesfox islandmy husband and iisland cottagefront porchfarnsworth museumwrap around porchother guestsrockland areaat homeplace to staybreakfast was deliciousquiet streetwonderful stay
Reviewed 27 November 2011

My daughter and I checked into the Limerock Inn on November 25th for a quick Mother/Daughter escape and what a wonderful escape this beautiful Inn and it's charming hosts provided us. The Inn was decorated in it's holiday finery both inside and out. Frank & PJ greeted us warmly and showed us to our room. which was just lovely. We enjoyed to the fullest Rockland's weekend of festivities ushering in the Christmas season and because of the location of the Limerock never needed to take our car...everything was within easy walking distance. We will and do keep coming back! Thanks

• Stayed: November 2011, travelled with family
Reviewed 17 November 2011

For years now, I had been desiring a romantic overnight getaway with my husband. This year (and in this tough economy) we managed to save up enough money for 1 night at a nice B&B as a very special birthday present. We had someone who was available to watch our children, so all was set for my birthday getaway. We were both very eager for this rare 'vacation' (the last B&B visit we had was on our honeymoon 13 yrs ago).

We would have loved to stay at Limerock Inn, but, unfortunately, I fell ill with a very nasty flu and spent my entire birthday (and the subsequent 4 days) in bed with a high fever and frequent sneezing & hacking cough. My husband called them ASAP to resell the room. It did not sell, and apparently they do not offer ANY refund under ANY circumstance. We lost a full room rate - my entire birthday present.

Of course, I do understand the business aspect of a late cancellation and the costs involved of running a business. However Limerock Inn is a very successful business with 5-star ratings, strong bookings and high rates. They are certainly not struggling, yet I wouldn't expect them to give a full pass to anyone who cancels a room for any little reason. But part of being a good Maine business is showing good faith when necessary. I would have happily offered up a doctor's note to prove my illness. They lost nothing with us absent - no electricity used in that room, no extra water, trash bags, toiletries, cleaning upon checkout, and no breakfast lost in the morning. Had we never booked, that particular room (which we booked only a few days before) would have likely sat empty anyway. (Frank disagrees.)

Now on their behalf, I did call them and Frank was polite but kept stating policy of no refunds, and buyer beware. He actually told me that next time perhaps I ought to book a cheap room at a Hilton instead!! How condescending. They knew upon booking that it was for my birthday, and that it was a special, rare splurge for us. I ended up grovelling to Frank (in tears, no less, for I was still very sick) for at least a half refund or a coupon, or comped night - something, anything! In the end, Frank said all he could do for me was lower the rate a tiny bit to a cheaper room rate. OK, thanks, but far, far from adequate given the circumstances.

In the case of illness, accident or death in a family, a coupon for a free night in an equal-priced room (low season, mid-week) is the very least of what Limerock should do. I didn't choose to get sick, we truly wanted to go but if hubby did drag me out of bed and to Limerock Inn, I would have spent the entire time in bed, hacking and coughing & sneezing all night, spreading flu germs throughout Limerock Inn. Not good for their business and I'm sure the other visitors would not have appreciated hearing me hack & cough all night.

Hence, for keeping a huge chunk of my only birthday present, no good will, no comped room and for condescendingly telling me to go to a cheap Hilton next time, LImerock Inn earns one star. BTW I work in Rockland and encounter many tourists - I will no longer be steering business to Limerock Inn.

Room Tip: Buyer Beware, unless you can afford to lose all your money.
Stayed: November 2011, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Lotusbud67
rpjwalter, Owner at LimeRock Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 4 December 2011

At LimeRock Inn, we strive for 100% customer satisfaction, and we learned from this experience that even after 7 years in the affirmative this may not always be possible. We received an internet reservation request for our last room for the Saturday night of a sold-out holiday weekend. Note: This review was written by the wife of the individual we have recorded as making the reservation. Here is our cancellation policy as prominently displayed on our reservation request form which also requires an online signature acceptance of terms prior to booking.

“We are a small facility and cancellations greatly impact us. Reservations cancelled greater than fourteen days prior to arrival will be subject to a $25 administrative fee. If you cancel within fourteen days of your arrival, you will be responsible for the full amount due. During festivals, weddings, or other special events, additional restrictions may apply. Please contact us for details. “

Late morning of the arrival date, the husband called to cancel stating the wife was ill. We assured him we would do our best to resell the room, but it might be difficult with only five hours before check-in. We also confirmed and he acknowledged our cancellation policy. Despite our best efforts, the room did not resell. So, we charged them the amount due and sent them an invoice. This prompted the wife to call. She stated that this was her birthday present. She suggested that we rescind the cancellation fee as she could “work it off” doing cleaning or housekeeping. We cannot accept that responsibility, and we are truly owner operated having no outside staff. So, this was not possible.

We view our cancellation policy as a contract with the customer. In the week prior to their arrival, we did receive additional call requesting rooms for Saturday night. However, we declined based on this contract with this guest. Offering a gift certificate for a future stay creates a pre-paid booking which requires special accounting that we do not do because of the additional cost associated. To clarify her “Hilton” reference, she stated that she was unaware of and considered our cancellation policy to be too restrictive despite being similar to most area small inns. We suggested to her that she consider staying at a larger hotel, like Hampton Inn which is in our area, if she required a more flexible cancellation policy.

In concluding our conversation with the wife, we agreed and reduced the cancellation fee to our lowest published rate (a 25% reduction). At the time, the wife stated she was satisfied leading us to believe this matter concluded. We are disappointed that she chose this public forum to vent despite our efforts to resolve this situation amicably.

Reviewed 6 November 2011

Lovely inn, conveniently located within walking distance of downtown. Frank and PJ are wonderful hosts. We had a lovely time getting to know them. We won’t stay anywhere else in Rockland.

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 27 October 2011

We loved our summer stay at the LimeRock Inn - great rooms, very clean and comfortable with great charm. Frank and PJ are great hosts (and cooks!) and have a genuinely laid back, welcoming and friendly vibe without being overbearing - like other innkeepers can be ;-)

It was great to be able to walk to restaurants and shopping - such a perfect location! We'll be back!

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 17 October 2011

Despite a very late arrival following a harrowing drive throug the downpours of last Friday night, we were warmly welcomed into the inn by Frank and PJ who doned raingear to assist us in with our luggage. When we settled into the Island Cottage Room we felt immediately at home and well cared for.as`we had felt during earlier visits. Saturday greeted us with sunshine and one of the Inn's wonderful breakfasts. My husband worked on his computer in the living room while I enjoyed the sunny Maine morning. First, on the wrap around porch of the Inn, and then on private deck of the room. Again on Sunday we were welcomed with a delicious breakfast. That morning we enjoyed French Toast and apple sausage along with the usual offerings of fruit and freshly baked scones. In the afternoon we drove down to the Marshall Light lighthouse and stopped by the Owls Head light. We had time to enjoy the shops on Main Street. Rockland has so much to offer from the Farnsworth Museum, to interesting shops, and first class restaurants. My husband and I think that one of its best assets is the Limerock Inn and its friendly hosts, Frank and PJ

Room Tip: All rooms are comfortable, the main determining factor would be the size of bed you prefer! We enjoy the Island Cottage Room because of the private deck with the lovely view of the gardens and gazebo!
  • Stayed: October 2011, travelled as a couple