“We did a takeaway lunch today - wish we could have given it back”
Review of Bricks Restaurant - CLOSED

Bricks Restaurant
Cuisines: Pizza
Middlebury, Connecticut
“We did a takeaway lunch today - wish we could have given it back”
Reviewed 10 September 2013

One reviewer said "you can't beat the $5 lunch", you can, you can avoid it.
We stopped there 1/2 hr before it opened to look at the menu and decided to order two of the $5 lunch items to go. The waitress said we could put the order in then and return to pick it up at 5 or 10 after 11, virtually immediately after the restaurant opened. I returned at 5 after and waited nearly 15 minutes for the sandwichws - not the waitress's fault, but really - how many orders were placed before mine, since it was supposedly placed 30 minutes before its' opening?
Be that as it may, the sandwiches themselves were awful. I know, I know, you get what you pay for, but in this case, my expectations weren't very high and they managed to fail to meet them.
I ordered the Cuban Sandwich which had all of the ingredients, but came on a soft club roll - totally cold. It wasn't hot, nor grilled ... forget about pressed as a panini. It was a joke. The pork was pretty lousy and the ham and cheese ice-cold. The pickle was good.
We also ordered a chicken parm sandwich that was one of those patties (not surprisingly), but the roll seemed to have been cooked several times (maybe they cooked it extra since they didn't cook my sandwich). It was barely edible without the roll, nice and chewy!
So, yes, you get what you pay for, but yikes, if this is at all representative of the food on the rest of the menu, then you'd be well advised to avoid it at all costs.
Sorry about that folks.

• Visited September 2013

Skaneateles, NY
“You cannot beat the $5 lunch deal!”
Reviewed 25 August 2013

We were on vacation in the Rockland area and were looking for a quick lunch spot. My husband and I both chose grilled cheese sandwiches from the $5 menu. One of them had cheese, egg, and red onion, the other had chicken salad, cheese, and sunflower seeds. Both of them were different and delicious! Great fries, too! The outside deck is covered and has nice views of the harbor across the street. Service was friendly and quick. This place is a gem!

Port Dover, Canada
“Salads To Die For”
Reviewed 16 August 2013

I spend a lot of my days eating salads. As a matter of fact, one of my friends once asked me "Do you always have a salad with your meals", to which I replied Always. If you have a quality salad dressing, that salad is probably one of the healthiest things you will eat all day.
My husband and I came back into Rockland late one evening and walked uptown to find a place to eat. We heard lots of voices coming from the outside patio at "The Bricks". It was about 8:30pm when we arrived but were graciously seated inside, as the evenings are starting to get cool again. I had the "New Salad". I can honestly say that I have never had such a tasty salad in all my life. With the greens, the whole almonds and blue cheese as well as the apple dressing with a little lemon in it -- You MUST try it. The portion sizes in Maine seem a little more than we Canadians are used to, but it's taste was amazing. The subtle smell of the wood burning in The Bricks kitchen gives the place a warm cozy feeling. The pricing of everything was reasonable and the wine list adequate for any dinner.
This will be on our "return" list for our next visit. Keep up the great work!

Boston, Massachusetts
“Terrible Food and Overpriced”
Reviewed 14 August 2013

We stopped at Bricks for lunch when we arrived in Rockland from our drive up from Mass. Bricks somehow has a 22 rating from Zagat's when I pulled it up on my Google Map search. It deserves a 3. Lunch for 4 cost $87 with NO BOOZE. Two of us had fish & chips; one boy had a barbequed chicken sandwich and one had a pizza. The pizza was truly terrible. The chicken was tough and sinewy and hadn't been BBQ'd, just squirted with some off-the-shelf sauce. While the fish (haddock) was fresh and nicely fried, the french fries were store bought, not fresh cut. Service was slow even though we were eating at around 3 pm with no crowd. If the prices were cheaper, I suppose I would consider it, but for the kind of $ they charge, you should expect a 4-star meal for lunch. I would avoid this place.

Visited August 2013
1 Thank Cliff617
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Nice place would go to again.”
Reviewed 7 August 2013 via mobile

We stopped in Rockland to spend the night. We looked around town and stopped at the Bricks. The overall experience was very good.