“1st time was a charm!”

Thorfinn Expeditions - Day Tours
More attraction details
Owner description: From the relaxed to the rugged, Thorfinn Expeditions is an outdoor adventure and education business that specializes in Sailing, Stand Up Paddle Boarding (SUP) and Multi-Sport Experiences. There are two paddle sport retail locations in Lincolnville Beach and Bar Harbor - Full SUP gear and Epic kayaks/surfskis).With a staff comprised of experienced and passionate educators/instructors, Thorfinn offers "hands on" outdoor experiences lasting from a few hours to many days.The adventure sailing program is primarily based on the Maine Coast (homeport: Bar Harbor, Maine) but operates between Atlantic Canada and the Florida Keys. Utilizing a unique and award - winning Presto 30, Thorfinn offers several-hour sailing trips, expeditions for people who want to learn and participate in the trip, and custom adventures that can combine sailing, coastal exploration, hiking and climbing. Thorfinn is operated by a USCG-licensed Captain.The Stand Up Paddle Board Program takes place in both Midcoast and Bar Harbor, Maine . Thorfinn offers rentals, sales, lessons, fitness/race training, custom downwinders and tours. SUP staff are ACA SUP Level 2 certified.Thorfinn Expeditions has an adventure for everyone, from the novice who is interested in a sight-seeing sail around Frenchmans Bay to the experienced, hands-on adventurer who wants to experience the outdoors in a unique and thrilling way. In addition, Thorfinn works closely with Atlantic Climbing School.
Teton Village, Wyoming
“1st time was a charm!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 June 2012

Recently, Thor introduced me to stand up paddle in the "cool" waters of Acadia National Park. As a beginner, Thor was the perfect instructor for me. He made me feel comfortable and relaxed while he taught me how to paddle around the picturesque setting. It was the most fun I've had in quite a while. He is interesting, engaging and a knowledgable guide.

Portland, Maine, United States
“A Paddleboarding Skeptic Found Love”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 June 2012

My favorite holiday of the year is when we go to Bar Harbor. I am happy to shop and eat my way through the week, but my husband came back to the hotel with a gleam in his eye.
"I booked us to go paddleboarding tomorrow morning!"

I didn't even know what that was and was quite nervous at the prospect. But he was so excited, I joined him.

Hampton met us at Thorfinn. Her smile immediately put me at ease.
"Don't worry, we will take it slow," she assured me.

After fitting us to the equipment, we started out. The sky was pink and the only sound was the water against our boards and the gulls calling. It was so serene and peaceful, my anxiety quickly floated away.

Before I knew it, Hampton had led us out along the beautiful coastline. We had the world to ourselves--and I never fell!!

I cannot recommend Thorfinn enough. They were so friendly, knowledgeable and you can tell they really love what they do. And now I do, too! Since my lesson with Hampton, I have bought a used board and have done many trips on a lake by our house. It is a great workout. When we go back to Bar Harbor, I will take an advanced class--I can't wait to show her my new tricks!

Thank you, Thorfinn!

Kennebunkport, Maine
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“Great Surprise”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 June 2012

While visiting Bar harbor my wife and I discovered Thorfinn Expeditions and as old sailors , we lucked out finding a time period to go sailing in their Presto 30 , a unique shallow draft cat-ketch. The boat was set up so we could literally do nothing but take in the sights with no wild crashing about or line pulling and at our age , that was a pleasant change. Lobster rolls and drinks on board with Thor and his Crew, Hampton, both of whowm were very pleasant and engaging , made for an all too short cruise on the waters around Mt dessert. Next time we are booking a whole day at least..

2 Thank Alan K
Florham Park, New Jersey
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“A DAY TO REMEMBER”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 August 2011

While planning our yearly summer trip to Matinicus Island, we thought a day of sailing would be an awesome way to celebrate my birthday since it fell during our stay... While the logistics of Matinicus are challenging at best, Thor actually sailed to Matinicus to pick us up for our adventure! He arrived in the Harbor Tuesday morning and we all boarded for a wonderful day of sailing....first around the island, to Matinicus Rock to see the Puffins, some adorable seals and jumping porpoise! It was the absolute best way I could have hoped to spend my birthday. Thor was a great guide and navigator, we got a chance to sail the "PRESTO 30" as well. We brought our lunch on the boat ( Thor will provide that service for an additional cost) The fours hours went by in a flash and when Thor dropped us, we were able to "walk off" onto Markey Beach since this boat can sail in 1 foot of water!!! Matinicus Island is quite remote so a day of sailing is the way to go for a beautiful experience and something special to do. We definitely plan to do this again!

Visited July 2011
Wilmington, Delaware
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“A blend of excellence!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 July 2011

In planning our summer vacation I wanted a sailing lesson and some time on the water with my wife and 5yr old son. I found Thorfinn Expeditions. I liked what I read and viewed in the photo and video gallery. I was contacted promptly for the info I asked for but more important I liked the tone and manner of the company. In making my reservation I immediately felt comfortable with Thor.

Best of all was having my expectations blown away. I scheduled a full day of sailing. With a one on one instructional with Thor in the morning and then my wife and son joining for the afternoon. A sufficient overview of safety, navigation, boat handlling and what to stay alert to was covered. Thor is generous with his knowledge while still being so "down to earth". It put me at ease and allowed me and then my family to have fun! We had a beautiful day on the water and loved it when Thor took the helm!

We enjoy Maine for its beauty and focus on nature. Thor appreciates it too. He's willing to share his skill and experience in a way that I felt like I was sailing with a friend. When we returned to the dock that's exactly how we felt. It was a wonderful experience and a memory that we look forward to enjoying with Thorfinn Expeditions again.

Visited July 2011