“Absolutely gross, don't stay here”
Review of Trade Winds Inn

Trade Winds Inn
Ranked #3 of 3 Hotels in Rockland
Reviewed 12 August 2013

My husband and I stayed here for the MBH&H show. We booked late and we were lucky to find a last minute cancelation at the Trade Winds, or so we thought... When we got into our room we immediately noticed a musky/amonia/pee odor, and after some google searching, we determined it was either from mice or rat urine. The room had AC (thankfully) which was a wall unit located in the bathroom (never seen that before)! The shower was just an area of the bathroom where the water drained through a covered hole in the tiled floor. Also, when we tried to open the curtains, one of the blinds fell off the track so we had to repair it in order to have some privacy. Only 2 out of the 5 outlets in the room worked so they had an extension cord tucked behind the bed with a bunch of things plugged into it - fire hazard! The pee smell was the worst part though. We didn't sleep well on the thin hard mattress either.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled on business
2  Thank cja14

Reviewed 12 August 2013

We have stayed at this hotel for many years,and never have had such a horrible experience. We most generally rent 2 rooms with every stay. For 149.00 a night it was aweful. The room was dated, dirty, and just plain falling apart. The room I don't think was updated for at least 10 years. When it was brought to the management on our check out, we were told well you could have changed rooms. In our experience staying here during the Lobster Festival this is never an option. Took pictures of the room for the people to back up our claims and they were very obviously unaware of how bad the situation was. When you accessed this room by the door, there was trash and just junk everywhere. I was told oh yes they will do something about this to compensate us but well and behold it is over two weeks later and nothing has happened to compensate us for their clear lack of maitenance in this part of the hotel. The pool are is dated and needs a complete overhaul. Where the girl at the front desk is absolutely wonderful,it is clear there is a lack of management, and I was never so disappointed, I could not even begin to imagine, that is hotel we have stayed at many, many times before had become this nasty. If you have to stay there, don't stay on the lower floor at all, and make sure that if you don't like your room insist on a different one, because they will not make it right in the end. :(

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 29 July 2013

The room is nice, but the service at the restaurant was poor. There were 4 of us and the waitress kept forgetting us and then brought us food that wasn't quite what we ordered. We didn't order salads, but got them. Ordered rice and got baked potato.

The room was nice and the view was beautiful.

Room Tip: Overlooking the water is the best!
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 9 July 2013

I recently stayed at the Tradewinds Motor Inn for two nights and had a wonderful experience. The man at the front desk was very polite, professional and efficient. I was checked in quickly and with a smile. The room was clean - very clean and the air-conditioning was perfectly set. The bed was comfortable and the television easy to work. I would stay there again in an instant. Thank you, Allen, at the front desk. Keep up the great work!

Room Tip: 300's was where I stayed.
Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Alzosta
Reviewed 8 July 2013

This is a modest, old time motel in a wonderful location in the heart of Rockland. It is a convenient, short walk to shops, museums, and wonderful restaurants. The rooms are modest and clean. The staff is helpful and responsive. If you are looking for a full-service resort, this isn't the place. But, if you are looking for a nice, comfortable motel to use as a base while visiting the Camden Rockland area, then the Trade Winds is a good choice.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled solo
1  Thank NJTraveler1955
Reviewed 8 July 2013

Poorest establishment that I have ever paid for a service and, unfortunately, it was not my money but that of the USA taxpayers.

My group of 6 stayed here during a research trip (funded by a government grant) to survey nearby shellfish populations. After multiple phone calls to the reservation agent during my research to find the most economical option - and her assuring me that there would be enough space for us (we booked a 2 queen suite with 2 cots) - our reservation (held with a credit card) was not honored. The room provided was a 1 king suite with no cots (thus, 1 bed + 1 couch, instead of the necessary 5). We were forced to either find another place to stay (at ~11 pm) or double our cost by staying in a second room.

Can you imagine if every lodging establishment ran this way, guaranteeing a price and service, and then taking that guarantee away when you arrive on their doorstep? Those motels would go out of business.

I am currently working with the Better Business Bureau to get the cost of the establishment's mistake reimbursed to the grant. To date, the reservation agent - who seemed so helpful on the phone! - and desk agent have lied to the business owner about our reservation, so please do not expect honesty in your dealings with this business.

This is a place to stay if you are desperate and have not had time to make reservations. However, if you - like me - plan and reserve ahead, then there are many better options in the area, including houses that rent for only $25-50 more per night. This is a small price to pay when you may end up paying an extra $100 once you arrive. Unfortunately for this business, we would have stayed with them at least 3 more times had they treated us honestly. As it is, we are taking our business elsewhere and encourage others to strongly consider doing the same.

Room Tip: balcony - or better yet, a different establishment altogether
  • Stayed: June 2013, travelled on business
6  Thank SonomaGal
Reviewed 8 June 2013

I stayed in 2 different rooms in this hotel on 2 occasions. I booked a balcony room, only $5 or $10 more in the off-season, and got a very spacious, comfortable room with a separate sitting room and a balcony with a view of the ocean past the parking lot. When I returned to Rockland, I took a regular room for a very reasonable rate. The room was a lot smaller, but still reasonably comfortable. The establishment is not modern, somewhat like the larger motels of the 1970s, but it is well maintained and comfortable. There is a breakfast provided, not great coffee, but it's easy to forego, as there is a very good restaurant next door which opens very early and serves a good breakfast.

Room Tip: The balcony rooms are bigger and more comfortable.
  • Stayed: May 2013, travelled solo
Also consider these accommodations in or near Rockland
Rockland Harbor Hotel
Ledges By the Bay
Ledges By the Bay
#4 of 10 in Rockport
Samoset Resort On The Ocean

Been to Trade Winds Inn? Share your experiences!