“Cool Train stop”
Review of Maine Eastern Railroad - CLOSED

Maine Eastern Railroad
Reviewed 8 June 2014

We happened to just catch the train in the yard....if you like railroads this is a great photo stop we took many.

7  Thank 1951Rick

Reviewed 5 October 2013

This is an easy way to see parts of Maine and not do any driving. The ride is great no big bumps or rocking , the sitting is in old classic 1940 and 1950 rail cars. The view from the train is fantastic, the only thing that could be a minus is the snack bar is closed on most runs so if you need anything to eat or drink brink it.

9  Thank fatkoalabear
Reviewed 25 September 2013

I live in the south and don't have the opportunity to ride a train so when I found out about this train ride it was the first thing on my list of "fun' things to do while visiting Portland Maine. The train doesn't run everyday so be sure to check the schedule. I planned on going on a Wednesday but when I went to book it most of the Wednesdays where booked for several months! So we went on a Thursday and I had to change what I booked on Thrusday to Wednesday, so be sure to book in advance or call before you go just in case!

The day we did go there was hardly anyone on the train and most of the people went to the first car. My sister and I went to the last car and it looked nicer and we had the whole car to ourselves!

We went from Brunswick to Rockland. It was a very scenic ride and didn't seem like 2 hours, it went by fast. The train stops at several places but not for very long. It was interesting to see all the small towns on the way. I sat on one side of the train on the way there and the other side on the way back so I was sure to see all the sites on both sides of the track!

On the way there our car was in the back, only about 4 or 5 cars. On the way back we were right behind the engine and they blow the horn at every cross walk, I use to like to hear the train whistle but after hearing it up close and personal I got tired of it! Be sure to sit in a car away from the engine!

There was free parking in Brunswick. The 3 hour visit in Rockland was nice but it rained after we ate lunch so we put on our rain poncho's and walked around for a bit then they let us board the train early.

15  Thank AnnaItaly2014
Reviewed 23 September 2013

Comfortable seats for the 2 hour ride. Did the overnight package with B&B. easy to walk to nearby attractions.

4  Thank MadridIAtraveler
See more reviews
Reviewed 18 September 2013

Rode this train roundtrip from Rockland to Brunswick and it was a balmy evening with restored but very comfortable seats on this nostalgic train. We actually planned on doing it again this past visit but the train no longer runs from Rockland but only roundtrip from Brunswick. Great way to see the countryside and the office lady, Debbie, is very helpful and friendly.

2  Thank Chopperflyer