“Home away from home”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Rockland
Ripples Inn at the Harbor
Ranked #4 of 8 Rockland B&B and Inns
Saco, ME
“Home away from home”
Reviewed 14 July 2012

We stay with sandy, Bella and Ricardo for every north altantic blues festival. It feels like a family reunion with the sibs. Sandi makes a point of making something new and unusualnfor breakfast every time. From homemade bread to blueberry cobbler, she puts the b in b and b. The spit is walking distance to everything and a stones through to the harbor. We enjoy spending time on the great farmers porch, sipping wine and making friends. The ripples inn is one of those special, secret spots of Rockland.

• Stayed July 2012

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (19)
Salem
Reviewed 9 July 2012

Single gal just wanted to get away for some solo-time. Ripples was a great spot for it. Love the farmhouse style, nice arrangement of bedrooms and common room -its homey but you don't feel like you are invading someone else's space. Nice big breakfast (e.g. eggs and sausage, greek yogurt) and easy walk to all Rockland goodies. Does get some noise from trainstation but I was not woken up by it.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled solo
1 Thank waldobmp
Newburgh, New York, United States
Reviewed 27 June 2012

Was looking for a place to have a few days of rest and relaxation. I could not have been happier with my choice. This bed and breakfast is ideally located. Very close to the harbor and all the shops in downtown Rockland. Everything is easily within walking distance. There are some very nice places to eat no matter what your fancy. Sandi, the Innkeeper is a treasure. She truly enjoys what she does and where she does it. She is very knowledgeable of the area and can give quite good recommendations. Overall I was very pleased with my mini vacation and would jump at the chance to go back.

Room Tip: Beach Room is recommended for anyone who might have difficulty climbing stairs.
  • Stayed June 2012, travelled solo
1 Thank Lois V
McLean, Virginia
Reviewed 27 June 2012

Sandi, Isabella and Ricardo gave us a warm welcome and made our stay very enjoyable. I traveled with my husband, two month old baby and my mother. Even with our fussy baby, Ripples Inn managed to make everything work out and we didn't bother other guests. The family rooms felt really like home away from home. They were nicely decorated and had everything we needed. We enjoyed the common area for checking internet and printing some documents. Sandi's breakfasts were excellent. Sandi also provided great recommendations for sightseeing and restaurants. The location of Ripples Inn was very central to our places of interests: museum, restaurants, fish market, and shops. We surely will come back and recommend friends who want to stay in Rockland to experience the same pleasant stay as we did.
Luwi and Tina (visiting US from Yangon, Myanmar and Jakarta, Indonesia)

• Stayed June 2012, travelled with family
3 Thank TEEtravels_12
Baton Rouge, Louisiana
Reviewed 8 September 2011

My husband and I thoroughly enjoyed our stay at the Ripples Inn. We had a relaxing stay in the Zen room...loved the restful and calm there. Sandi was a lovely hostess and provided a delightful breakfast. We totally recommend this B&B!

• Stayed August 2011, travelled as a couple
2 Thank DrJudithLee
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed 5 September 2011

We stayed in the family suite and enjoyed our overnight stay there. The family suite has two rooms, one with a large bed and the second with a day bed. The room with the large bed is the only one with air conditioning. The large room doesn't have a TV but the room with day bed does have a very small TV. Each room has a sink as the private bathroom shared by a hallway has a tub and toilet only. The one thing I didn't expect was the mosquitoes in Maine during this time of the year. I got one of my first of many bites while using the bathroom at the Inn so just a warning to bring mosquito repellent or buy some at the Rite Aid close-by depending on the time of year you come visit. Sandi, the Innkeeper provided us with wipes from the common area since we didn't come prepared.

The common area has a small TV and a computer for Internet use. I would recommend bringing a laptop for use in your room as the Wi-Fi worked great in my room. There is a microwave to warm up food and a small refrigerator to store leftover food and some drinks. We didn't really spend much time in the common area as we were either in our rooms or out and about exploring the area. The front door is kept open all day so make sure you lock your door to your room.

This B&B is located within walking distance of some shops and restaurants in town including the Farnsworth Art Museum. We decided to have dinner at Cafe Miranda, which is one of the best restaurants in town but quite expensive even for Los Angeles standards. Be prepared to pay a lot for your dinner but for great quality food. Be aware that during the time we were there dining I again got bitten by mosquitoes while dining in their patio which was quite annoying that I didn't really enjoy my meal because of the itchiness. The locals don't seem to be bothered by the mosquitoes as they are probably more attracted to the agitated visitors of this lovely town. I told the server I wanted to have a lobster dish and our server suggested the homemade pasta dish topped with lobster. I thought it was OK but nothing spectacular. My cousins had the lobster mac and cheese which was much tastier than my meal of $34. Most of the dishes seemed like they were in the $30+ range. Plain spaghetti would set you back $20, the priciest spaghetti I've ever seen. Seems like this town is taking advantage of tourists with the cost of dining out since they charge so high for their food. We were sitting next to locals so that is good sign that locals would pay to eat here too. We were told by someone that the reason for the expensive food might be is the transportation costs to get food delivered there to Rockland. I would think though if the food they served was from the local farms, then it would in effect would not affect the cost of food.

We did discover a restaurant during our walk that had a sandwich that beat Bobby Flay on his show Food Network show, Throwdown: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aPBgcWdHX4w. "Heaven between bread " was described of this "King of Clubs" sandwich. Definitely try this during your trip to Rockland, Maine. This was an expensive sandwich at $24 but great because of all the fresh and tasty Lobster meat packed into this sandwich. The restaurant, Brass Compass Cafe is open at 5 am to 3 pm, check their website for exact hours of business for the day you plan on going.

For a list Rockland, ME's most popular places on Yelp, click here: http://www.yelp.com/search?find_desc=&ns=1&find_loc=rockland%2C+me#show_filters=1&sortby=review_count

There isn't much of exciting nightlife if you're "city folk" like us. I definitely don't care to seek it out when I am on a vacation in a small town. There is an interesting bar across the street if you like to go out for drink and two other bars close by within walking distance to experience the Rockland "nightlife." Thought the bar across the street was a church but actually an old rail station turned into a bar.

One thing to also note is that you can get your car blocked here because of the limited amount of parking. You won't need a car to walk to the shops and museum, but in our case, we wanted to take the car out to buy some groceries and was blocked by someone else's car.

We were still on West Coast time and woke up late but Sandi, our Innkeeper, kindly served us a late breakfast when we showed up in the dining room. We had a simple and satisfying breakfast of what was left for us on the table as we couldn't wake up early despite setting our alarm to wake up for breakfast. She brought coffee to us, made us fresh eggs, sausages, toasted English muffins, local berry jam, homemade Greek yogurt, granola, and fresh fruit. Sandi was a great host and definitely accommodated us at breakfast at a later time. I could tell by the people that said their goodbyes to here during our breakfast that they definitely would return on their next trip to Rockland.

Sandi is a great host with a warm and friendly demeanor. She definitely made sure you felt comfortable at the B&B. If you needed her for anything, we could have reached her by her mobile phone. Sandi has some dogs and cats roaming around the B&B, so if you don't mind them, you'll enjoy your stay here in this charming B&B with a great host. We definitely felt like we were leaving the home of a friend or distant relative. Sandi is very gracious, kind, and accommodating and I would definitely return if I found myself back in Rockland.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled with family
1 Thank Anne A
New York City, New York
Reviewed 1 September 2011

I've been vacationing in Maine almost every summer for a number of years statying with friends in Rockland and Owl's Head. Last August was the first trip as a couple and we both enjoyed Ripples. Comfortable, easy to find location. The Garden Room is our favourite and is truly comfortable. Sandi is a thoughtful and friendly hostess, attentive to her guests needs, with pleasant demeanor and full of good advice about local attractions. Surprisingly, her guests were of similar disposition, with one couple on honeymoon. The breakfasts were plentiful with a good variety of food at a beautifully appointed table. If in my next incarnation I were to run a B&B, I would try to copy Sandi!
I recommend Ripples to anyone without reservation.

Room Tip: The Garden Room is romantic while Zen Room looks spacious and airy.
  • Stayed August 2011, travelled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Rockland
Rockland Harbor Hotel
5.0 of 5 bubbles 1,004 reviews
LimeRock Inn
LimeRock Inn
#2 of 8 in Rockland

Been to Ripples Inn at the Harbor? Share your experiences!