“A beautiful, romantic place with owners who have thought of everything!”
Review of Berry Manor Inn

Berry Manor Inn
Ranked #1 of 8 Rockland B&B and Inns
Reviewed 12 January 2007

I have stayed in B&Bs all over the country and the world and this is one of the best I have seen. Besides the handsome, warm Victorian decor (imagine velvet, dark wood, plush cushions, fireplaces), the owners are wonderfully friendly and have thought of everything. There are homemade pies 24/7 in the living room areas, with vanilla ice cream in the fridge! One of the owner's mothers is the on-site baker, and wow are those pies amazing. Besides pies and ice cream, the fridges are filled with complimentary cold drinks, the freezer has chilled beer glasses, and the counter tops are stacked with everything one needs for eating and drinking. There is fresh coffee and, for tea lovers like myself, high quality teas (even green tea) and hot water. The living room areas have large televisions (with DVD players), much beautifully upholstered, comfortable seating, and stacks of games, books, and magazines. Classical music seems to be on most of the time. The whole main house and the carriage house are immaculate (important for people like me with dust allergies).

We did not wake up in time for the breakfast, so I shall leave that review to others who did. I heard wondrous tales of gingerbread pancakes, though!

The room in which we stayed was stunning. The attention to detail was superb. We were in the carriage house upstairs, and while the room was small, it felt "grand." The canopied king-size bed was decked with the softest of sheets, puffy blankets, and a mountain of beautiful pillows. The mattress was firm and comfortable. The bed faced a propane fireplace that gave off incredible heat and a lovely light. There was mid-century recliner in perfect condition, a few chairs and a desk. The closets had everything you could wish for--thick cotton robes, good hangers, iron and ironing board, etc. The room did not have just any drinking glasses, but wine glasses and champagne glasses (and a bottle-opener and an ice bucket, of course). There was a large t.v. with cable (I think, although I didn't check). My one complaint was that it was not accompanied by a DVD player. I spoke with an owner and he said they were planning on adding one to each room. I would also recommend Bose CD/radios, although the clock radio they have is new, modern, and fine. The room was extremely quiet, very warm (incredible insulation for an old Maine house!). I would absolutely recommend going to The Berry Manor Inn in the winter.

The bathroom in itself deserves a whole review. It was sublime. Relatively spacious and marble, it had an excellent jacuzzi for 2 (complete with candles), many towels racks, and a dual-head shower for two (with strong water pressure for a good back massage). There was only 1 sink (two is always better).

Within walking distance of the Inn is the charming town of Rockland, with coffee shops, bookstores, boutiques, galleries, and even a movie theater. The water is right there.

Within 1 mile is a world-class restaurant called Primo. Reservations recommended. It is closed for a month or so during the winter.

• Stayed: January 2007, travelled as a couple
1  Thank new_england_stella
Write a ReviewReviews (1,050)

998 - 1,004 of 1,050 reviews

Reviewed 30 December 2006

We just spent a couple of luxurious nights at Berry Manor and will definitely return again. We needed a brief getaway, so we drove a couple of hours up the coast to this beautiful place. I compared it to several others that I found online and was wowed by the rave reviews. From our arrival until our departure, we were impressed by the quality of our experience, from the warm and friendly hosts to the sumptuous comforts of our room. Breakfast is delicious and filling and the pies that are left out for the guests are a nice treat.

The owners have taken incredible care to restore this gorgeous old home and carriage house. It's like stepping back a century in time, yet you have the comforts of things like a body jet shower, jacuzzi tub and wireless internet. Very nice.

For those of you that aren't fans of the bed and breakfast experience, this is unlike anything else you've come across. If you feel like mingling with the other guests you'll find plenty of opportunities, but if you want your privacy you'll be left to yourself. Berry Manor gives you the amenities of a nice hotel but with the ambiance of an intimate inn.

1  Thank akakii
Reviewed 29 December 2006

We have been going to Rockland to visit family for several years, and staying in different B&Bs- but no longer! We will be staying at the Berry Manor Inn from now. No one else comes close to the care, attention and humor that Cheryl and Mike display. Not to mention that the house is gorgeous!!
Our thanks to Mike and Cheryl for our stay, and for inviting my mother to join us for one of your amazing breakfasts- we will be seeing you again!

1  Thank SueDQ
Reviewed 29 December 2006

This B&B is beautiful and the hospitality is even better. Our room was so tastefully presented, every detail taken care of and expressed with a big joyous smile. It is hard to describe the wonderful feeling at The Berry Manor Inn, it is just there. Will return. It is the best Inn we have experienced. Hank and Sheryl, NY

Stayed: December 2006
1  Thank vinoperson
Reviewed 12 December 2006

It was my first visit to The Berry Manor Inn. I went on a recommendation from a friend..I'm very glad! It was the best Bed and Breakfast experience I've ever had. It was a gorgeous place, great room, cozy with a fireplace and large enough to sit and read by the fire. Extremely clean with top notch service. The owners are fantastic...helpful yet give you your own space. The breakfast was delicious. Please go and see for yourself. If you want the coastal Maine experience.. Rockland is fun, good shops with Camden just minutes away. Stay at the Berry Manor Inn..you won't be disappointed.. Colleen

• Stayed: December 2006, travelled with friends
1  Thank Thewaylifeshouldbe
Reviewed 6 December 2006

You will never find a more amazing Bed & Breakfast. In fact calling it a B&B is not even close to what you get out of the stay. Every detail down to the bottled water in the room is perfect. The rooms are decorated to perfection. The decor of the Inn is beautiful and the staff is second to none. I travel for a living and have stayed in hotels from the south of France to Guam in the western Pacific and nothing even comes close to the experience you get from this little gem in Rockland, Maine. Cheryl and Mike are gracious hosts that make you feel right at home the moment you walk through the door. We have stayed at Berry Manor Inn for the past 4 years and loved it every time. Breakfast is amazing with items like raspberry stuffed French toast, strawberry swirl cinnamon crumb cake and warm home made apple sauce served to visitors in the very intimate dining room, and as you would expect presentation is first rate. Oh and the pie, I don’t even like pie and I can’t keep away from the blueberry and raspberry home made pies which are self serve at anytime of day. I have send family and friends to the Inn and the first word I get when I hear of the trip is always “amazing”.

• Stayed: November 2006, travelled as a couple
1  Thank lippera
Reviewed 4 December 2006

A year ago, my husband and I spent an incredible night at the Berry Manor Inn, and we vowed to return, this time staying for two nights. This past weekend we stayed in Room #5 (The Ballroom) and had an amazing time. The Inn is relaxing, elegant yet informal, private yet cozy and welcoming, and more than we'd ever imagine a B&B could be. Cheryl and Mike are incredible hosts, even going out of their way during each breakfast to make meals that fit my food allergies. The pies in the guest pantry are a real treat and something we looked forward to upon returning "home" after dinner both nights. (And, yes, we really did call it home -- as in, "are you ready to head home?" :-) ) If you haven't been to the Berry Manor, you're missing out. We can't wait for our next return trip!

1  Thank Rundle's_Parents
Also consider these accommodations in or near Rockland
Rockland Harbor Hotel
#3 of 10 in Rockport
LimeRock Inn
LimeRock Inn
#2 of 8 in Rockland

Been to Berry Manor Inn? Share your experiences!