“Victorian Luxury in little Rockland” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Berry Manor Inn

Berry Manor Inn
Ranked #1 of 8 Rockland B&B and Inns
Boston
“Victorian Luxury in little Rockland”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 February 2007

I booked this bed and breakfast as a romantic getaway for my fiancé and I. It was a birthday present to get him away from his high pressure job and for us to reconnect; we have recently been having problems from not spending enough time together. I have traveled all over the world in luxury vacations and thought that this bed and breakfast was top notch! The place was a nice mixture of victorian glamor and quiet luxury. Mike informed us during the tour of the carriage house that we could help ourselves to his mother's homemade four-berry pie and apple pie with vanilla ice cream located in the shared pantry. This was for all of the guests staying in the carriage house. The pie and ice cream was absolutely delectable, we couldn't get enough. My fiance even wanted to hide the pie under his coat as we left! haha

The room was amazing. I picked room 12 and was so excited when we walked in. Not only did Cheryl and her husband Mike have the fireplace lit when we arrived but she also surprised both of us with rose petals on the bed to compliment the chocolate covered strawberries that I had prearranged. The bed and sheets engulfed us as we relaxed and cuddled. We were so entranced by the bed that we didn't even get to use the two person jacuzzi tub however couldn't get enough of the two person jet shower. They even had bath oils for 'romance' and 'tranquility' that we intend to use the next time we stay.

I can not rant and rave about this place more. We defiantly are going back and will be regulars for this place. For these two Bostonians, the weekend at The Berry Manor Inn did more for my fiancé's piece of mind and for our relationship than I could ever say on this review! The price for what we got was just the cherry on the top! Thank you Cheryl and Mike, we will be seeing you again!

4 Thank BostonLing-Ling

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (243)
Apple Country, Massachusetts
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 February 2007

While we would like to keep Berry Manor Inn our own little secret, we also feel compelled to share our wonderful experience! We visited Berry Manor Inn last month for their Annual Pie Parade weekend -- about which we had read in Yankee Magazine. What a treat. From a warm pie delivered to our sitting room each night to the beautifully appointed accommodations, every aspect of our stay was terrific.

The Inn Keepers, Mike and Cheryl, are caring and fun individuals who care deeply about their guests and maintaining quality control of their historic buildings. We were able to tour every room in the main building and Carriage House; each had its own personality and character, elegant decor and amenities. Down to the custom-made mattresses, Mike and Cheryl have attended to every detail!

Each morning of our stay we enjoyed the inn's delicious breakfasts, which began with a delectable fruit course, followed by a freshly baked treat - a scone or coffee cake - and finished with a savory pie, naturally, accompanied by tasty side dishes. Service was provided with a smile by Mike's mom, who made us feel right at home.

We look forward to our next stay at the Berry Manor Inn, and recommend it highly!

P.S. The following testimonial comes from our friends and traveling companions, who were first timers to the bed-and-breakfast / inn scene and are now converts: "The Berry Manor Inn sets the bar high!" Considering that the husband of the couple, a reserved manufacturing engineer, left wearing a lobster hat, I would call that an understatement!

Stayed February 2007
2 Thank TheTravelingFoursome
norridewock Me
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 February 2007

The Berry Mnaor Inn is a wonderful place to relax and forget the world around you. The Inn Keepers are very pleasant and everyone goes out of their way to make your stay a genuine one. I never felt more at home anywhere the way I felt at home at the Berry Manor Inn. I cannot wait tog o back very soon.

Thanx again

J and J from Norridgewock Maine

Stayed February 2007
5 Thank hiltons777
West Swanzey, NH
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 January 2007

We enjoyed a wonderful stay at Berry Manor Inn right before New Years. Our room was very comfortable and well equiped. The owners are welcoming and excellent hosts. The Inn was beautifully decorated for the holidays but did not feel "hands off" in any way. We were welcomed to enjoy any common space, hot coffee and hot chocolate were waiting for us each morning as were freshly baked blueberry and cherry pies with ice cream each afternoon.

The Inn keepers recommendations for dinner were right on - we wanted both down home, local food as well as gourmet. The Inn is situated a short walk from downtown Rockland, which is very pleasant and inviting, boasting restaurants, antique stores, art galleries, bakeries and more.

We plan on a return visit to both the Inn and Rockland :)

Stayed December 2006
3 Thank Badpreston
MA
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 January 2007

There is much to enjoy about the Berry Manor. The innkeepers are friendly and available, the space is classic victorian without feeling artificial, and the rooms are comfortable and well appointed. We were in town during an event that had tours of the other B&Bs and at each stop we felt we had made the right choice by staying at the Berry Manor.

• Stayed January 2007, travelled as a couple
      Location
      Check-in / front desk
      Rooms
      Cleanliness
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
      Business service (e.g., internet access)
3 Thank MasFina
Maine
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 January 2007

I found myself searching the internet trying to find a fun event for a birthday celebration when I stumbled across Rocklands Historic Inns Pies on Parade. There were several inns participating so I began checking each website when I found the Berry Manor Inn. The website just seemed to good to be true and being brought up to believe that "if it sounds to good to be true".... but what I found was there is an exception to every rule and the Berry Manor Inn was it. They are definately all they claim to be and much much more. The innkeepers Cheryl and Mike just "get it ".

We were made to feel at home the second we walked through the door when we were immediately greeted and given the grand tour and the smell of pies filled the air. After a short stop at the second floor library to be shown where to find coffee in the morning we were taken to our room and just let me say that the pictures didn't do justice. What a great room!!!! Every need had been anticipated and the whole inn was the cleanest place I have every seen. Its like little elves come out at night....... The innkeepers made sure we had dinner plans and offered us suggestions and to make reservations for us. We didn't take the suggestions and believe me next time we will. I loved coming back from dinner to find our room had been prepared for us. The shades were drawn and lights were on and soft music playing in the background with the bed turned down and chocolates left on the pillow. We also recieved our own personal pies,a cookbook filled with pie recipes and two tickets to the next day event along with a map and poster. It got even better with a trip to the kitchen to have pie and ice cream (we wanted to take ours home) and the kitchen had a blueberry pie I just had to try. Of course the pie and ice cream and beverages were just there for the taking. After a long bath in the claw foot tub and trying to make the rubber ducky stay afloat (squeeze the water out of it) it was time to call it a day.

The next morning we woke to the smell of coffee brewing and sausage cooking and was treated to a wonderful full course breakfast in the dining room. The atmosphere was relaxing yet fun and playful and filled with laughter. The birthday girl had to wear the birthday hat and was serenaded by a singing hamster.

When it was time to leave we were sent off with a hug and a warning. They told us to pace ourselves at the Pies on Parade event. Well we didn't heed the warning.......again huge mistake!!!

After seeing the other Inns it reaffirmed what we already knew, we had picked the best. Thank you Cheryl and Mike and "the moms" for sharing your home with us and making us feel lke part of the family, even if it was for such a short time.

The Berry Manor Inn was built out of love by a husband for his wife and the tradiition is still alive and well. Make your reservation and experience it for yourself, you won't be disappointed!

Stayed January 2007
4 Thank acarey5
maine
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 January 2007

I have stayed in B&Bs all over the country and the world and this is one of the best I have seen. Besides the handsome, warm Victorian decor (imagine velvet, dark wood, plush cushions, fireplaces), the owners are wonderfully friendly and have thought of everything. There are homemade pies 24/7 in the living room areas, with vanilla ice cream in the fridge! One of the owner's mothers is the on-site baker, and wow are those pies amazing. Besides pies and ice cream, the fridges are filled with complimentary cold drinks, the freezer has chilled beer glasses, and the counter tops are stacked with everything one needs for eating and drinking. There is fresh coffee and, for tea lovers like myself, high quality teas (even green tea) and hot water. The living room areas have large televisions (with DVD players), much beautifully upholstered, comfortable seating, and stacks of games, books, and magazines. Classical music seems to be on most of the time. The whole main house and the carriage house are immaculate (important for people like me with dust allergies).

We did not wake up in time for the breakfast, so I shall leave that review to others who did. I heard wondrous tales of gingerbread pancakes, though!

The room in which we stayed was stunning. The attention to detail was superb. We were in the carriage house upstairs, and while the room was small, it felt "grand." The canopied king-size bed was decked with the softest of sheets, puffy blankets, and a mountain of beautiful pillows. The mattress was firm and comfortable. The bed faced a propane fireplace that gave off incredible heat and a lovely light. There was mid-century recliner in perfect condition, a few chairs and a desk. The closets had everything you could wish for--thick cotton robes, good hangers, iron and ironing board, etc. The room did not have just any drinking glasses, but wine glasses and champagne glasses (and a bottle-opener and an ice bucket, of course). There was a large t.v. with cable (I think, although I didn't check). My one complaint was that it was not accompanied by a DVD player. I spoke with an owner and he said they were planning on adding one to each room. I would also recommend Bose CD/radios, although the clock radio they have is new, modern, and fine. The room was extremely quiet, very warm (incredible insulation for an old Maine house!). I would absolutely recommend going to The Berry Manor Inn in the winter.

The bathroom in itself deserves a whole review. It was sublime. Relatively spacious and marble, it had an excellent jacuzzi for 2 (complete with candles), many towels racks, and a dual-head shower for two (with strong water pressure for a good back massage). There was only 1 sink (two is always better).

Within walking distance of the Inn is the charming town of Rockland, with coffee shops, bookstores, boutiques, galleries, and even a movie theater. The water is right there.

Within 1 mile is a world-class restaurant called Primo. Reservations recommended. It is closed for a month or so during the winter.

• Stayed January 2007, travelled as a couple
      Location
      Check-in / front desk
      Rooms
      Cleanliness
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
      Business service (e.g., internet access)
1 Thank new_england_stella
Also consider these accommodations in or near Rockland
250 Main Hotel
Island View Inn
Island View Inn
#4 of 10 in Rockport
Samoset Resort On The Ocean

Been to Berry Manor Inn? Share your experiences!