“Ladies Night”

Samoset Resort On The Ocean
Ranked #1 of 10 Hotels in Rockport
Reviewed 29 March 2014

My best friend had just been though a rough spell and I hadn't had a night to myself in almost two years. We are local ladies who just needed a night away for some girl talk, some yummy food, and maybe a few cocktails. We were delighted with the amazing room with an even more amazing view. Yes, it was March in Maine, but the view over Penobscot Bay is always beautiful. Upon arrival I immediately felt like I was on a retreat. It was quiet and beautiful and warm enough to hang out on the deck for a few minutes to get some fresh air. I got there first. And thanks to the mini fridge in the room, I was able to throw together a fancy little happy hour for my friend. After some girl talk, we decided to go down to dinner where we had decadent scallops for an appetizer with sangria made right there, followed the BEST pizza in the world. No, I'm totally serious. Get the Umbria pizza or any of the others made by hand right in front of you and cooked right in the brick oven. After we were way too full, we brought our leftovers back up to our room and enjoyed the rest of our evening followed by the best night sleep I have had in years. The beds are amazingly comfortable and the room was quiet. We both slept in until 8am which is about 3 hours past out normal wake up time. We were revived, relaxed, and ready to face the world again. I highly recommend the Samoset for a one night away girls night, a long weekend, or a family retreat. There's something for everyone!

Room Tip: Choose an ocean view if you can, or even one with a hot tub on the deck - that's what we'll...
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank 524Christine
Connie R, General Manager at Samoset Resort On The Ocean, responded to this reviewResponded 24 April 2014

Dear 542Christine,

I read with pleasure your glowing review of the Samoset. Your enthusiasm indicates we were able to exceed your expectations for dining, luxury accommodations with many amenities, and a perfect view of Penobscot Bay. I’m pleased we were able to offer the two of you a much needed respite and you both felt refreshed and ready to face the world again after staying with us.

We look forward to seeing you for a return visit.

Reviewed 28 March 2014 via mobile

We have a timeshare and we wanted to stay within driving distance from where we live when we were looking at places. We came across this place in the RCI book, we tried booking it in May but the only week available was the last week of March. The resort is very nice with awesome views from the rooms of the bay. The bed was comfy and it was clean. The few things I didn't like was the fact that the lobby and restaurant are not open from M-W because they're on "winter" hours, it seems that the grounds keeper must not start cleaning until the summer also since there were piles of sand and dirt on the walkways leading into the building along with misc. stuff on the ground. If you need something since no ones at the front desk you have to call the fitness center. It seems to me at a place that's supposed to be a 4 diamond resort that the grounds would be in better shape and that if you have guest they staying at the resort everything should be as if it was in season and not partial shut down for half the week. You have no choice but to go else where if you want to eat or even hang out at the huge lobby with the fireplace that you can't use for half the week? We had no idea that it was like this and if we did we would have picked another place, I'm sure when their in full season that it's a lot different, I recommend that you wait to stay here until at least May.

Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank JOHNNYB17

Dear JOHNNYB17,

Thank you for your recent feedback and letting us know how much you enjoyed your comfy bed, clean rooms, and awesome views of Penobscot Bay during your visit.

Samoset and RCI work together closely to ensure our mutual guests are aware of our seasonal winter availability. RCI sends an email to existing reservations confirming this information and their reservation agents also receive alerts during the reservation process reminding them to explain this information concerning the lobby, restaurant, and front desk availability to anyone booking a week at the Samoset during our seasonal winter dates.

The effects of a long, icy, and snowy New England winter can result in unavoidable sand and grit residue by March. We have had an unusually long winter this year with accumulating snow and sleet still falling as late as last week. We’ve hopefully rounded the bend, however, and since we take great pride in the cleanliness of our resort the clean-up and sweeping efforts are underway resort-wide to put all that wintery weather behind us.

Reviewed 27 March 2014

We went to the Samoset right after Christmas for a long weekend. This was our first time there. VERY nice. Room was clean and comfortable and the food was very good. We booked the room and breakfast package and it was a great deal. The breakfast was incredible. The resort is very close to skiing, etc. Camden Snow Bowl very close too and is fun to go to even if you don't ski. Got some hot chocolate and watched everyone else. There is also candle pin bowling near by and is very inexpensive because they do not have any fancy equipment. Like it was years ago-you even have to keep your own score on paper. Can't wait to go back.

Stayed: December 2013

Dear k9crazy7,

Thank you for sharing your positive experience from visiting with us this winter. I was glad to see on top of wonderful food and lovely rooms you were also able to enjoy some of the many activities available in our area. Skiing and bowling make a great combination!

We look forward to seeing you again in the future.

Reviewed 19 March 2014

Our family had a mini "stay-cation" at the Samoset during school vacation week recently and were extremely happy and impressed with the resort and its staff. There were plenty of children's activities -- including an indoor petting zoo! -- as well as amenities for adults. Highlights for our daughter were the indoor swimming pool, kids' game room and several room service meals; for the adults it was the hot tub on our deck overlooking the ocean and a soothing spa massage. To top it off, the non-peak rates made it a very affordable getaway. We had so much fun that we're already talking about a return trip in May!

Room Tip: Request an upper-floor corner/end room facing the breakwater lighthouse.
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled with family
3  Thank Scott T
Connie R, General Manager at Samoset Resort On The Ocean, responded to this reviewResponded 27 March 2014

Dear Scott T,

Your review details a wonderful “staycation” experience and I appreciate your taking the time to tell us about your stay at the Samoset. Children’s vacation activities, swimming in our indoor pool, delicious room service and dining, a hot tub suite, and massages at the spa. Wonderful! We just hope you didn’t go home too tired from all the fun you had on vacation.

Thank you again for your review and we look forward to seeing you again in the future.

Reviewed 16 March 2014

My wife Elizabeth and I spent this past weekend at the Samoset Resort. Each time we visit the resort we continue to be impressed with the attentive and friendly staff, luxurious accommodations, great food, and an amazing array of amenities. The resort's GM, Mr. Russell goes out of his way to make sure we enjoy our staff.
Cannot wait until our next visit,

Room Tip: the rooms are all excellent with views towards the Ocean. We love the suites... particularly for a l...
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank RBaldacci2014

Dear Rbaldacci,

Thank you for taking the time to review the Samoset resort and your recent stay with us. It was our pleasure to welcome you back. Your kind comments are appreciated and we look forward to welcoming you and your wife again for a return visit in the future.

Reviewed 12 March 2014

We stayed here for six nights. I got a great deal, so even though Maine in March is not the best timing, we decided to go. It's been a while since I stayed right on the coast during winter. The weather was relatively mild.
For the resort, we stayed at the timeshare part. We stayed at the 700 building. So there are hotel part which is with the main part. The timeshare buildings are short walk from the main building. There are three building. We stayed in room 703, which is in the lower floor.

Our unit. The good; the unit is tastefully decorated much better than what the outside and hallway looked. Has a small kitchen with two small stove top, and small toaster oven, has a dishwasher, and everything you can ask for. One bedroom unit with king bed. Bed was comfortable. there is a little balcony that looks to the golf course and the ocean. f
The bad; I am being picky because the place is pretty nice, It would have been nice if there was in-unit laundry. also there is a DVD player, but they didn't have the right cord, so all DVD comes in really crappy like you are watching black and white TV. the clock's battery was dead. Also, I feel like the parking lot was small, I don't know if we would have found a space during the high season.

Main building: The good: First, the main building is beautiful. The vista is stunning. Check in was quick. I called before and let them know that I was coming on Sat, instead of Fri (since for time share you do for a whole week). And also asked them about pack and play, which they had and placed into our unit. The club was great. Nice swimming pool which we uses almost daily. Has a hot tub. Also there is a gym with weights, machines and even classes. The locker room even has a steam room that my husband used multiple times. is also small arcade and activity room with games, ping pong table. We can also borrow movies (limited selection, more for kids movies), Wii games, and skates.
The bad: the restaurant, which I did know before getting there, spa (which I wanted to use while I was there because I did not know it was closed), and gift shop is closed during the week for the winter time.

It was a nice place. One of the better timeshares I've been to.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank mjczoey

Dear mjczoey,

Thank you for your review of the Samoset. We’re glad you enjoyed your stay in our timeshare units and using our fitness facilities in The Club at The Samoset. This time of year the hot tub, indoor pool, and steam rooms really feel wonderful.

I apologize for the poor performance of the DVD player in your unit, as well as not notifying you about the main resort outlets such as the spa and restaurants being partially closed in winter. We will take steps to address this communication opportunity with our Timeshare Manager.

Reviewed 12 March 2014

I just want to say how happy I was this weekend. I brought my daughter, now 28 and 3 grandchildren to our annual birthday trip to the Samoset. My daughter has been coming here since before she was born! We go every year for her birthday and sometimes in between. Both my children have bough at least 1 timeshare. It goes to show what a family orientated resort this is.
On Friday we arrived early because we had small children and knew they would need a nap soon. The general manager went out of his way to get us in a room as quickly as possible. Then when we went to the pool he had toys for the kids. He went over and above as did other staff. hope this will be shared with the GM in Rockport. Thank you

Room Tip: There are no bad rooms. The ones with the ocean view are spectacular! the sun coming up over the w...
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled with family

Dear Debbie e,

Thank you for your review. It was a pleasure to read of your three-generation family visit to the Samoset. It is wonderful that all of you have been able to make family memories by both staying in the resort and the timeshare units.

I was happy to assist you personally with an early check-in when you arrived. I remember when my own children were small how important nap schedules were, for the kids and the adultsalike, even when on vacation. I hope everyone had a great time swimming in the indoor pool.

Cornelius J. Russell

Also consider these accommodations in or near Rockport
Island View Inn
Strawberry Hill Seaside Inn
Rockland Harbor Hotel
Rockland Harbor Hotel
#1 of 3 in Rockland

Been to Samoset Resort On The Ocean? Share your experiences!