“great location and ocean views, no beach”

Samoset Resort On The Ocean
Ranked #1 of 10 Hotels in Rockport
Reviewed 21 August 2014

Nice heated pool with ocean view and jacuzzi. Kids club and nice playgrounds and other
lawn family games like corn hole, bocci and tennis. Golf course is open to the public and very well maintained, with a separate proshop and bar.

Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family
Connie R, General Manager at Samoset Resort On The Ocean, responded to this reviewResponded 3 September 2014

Dear lareduxer,

Thank you for your review and mentioning the specific games found in our Ultimate Backyard such as corn hole, bocci, and tennis. Hopefully you will enjoy the available basketball, badminton, disc golf, and shuffleboard on your next visit. I’m glad you were able to also spend time at our beautiful heated outdoor pool and hot tub overlooking Penobscot Bay and golf course. Our thirty-three year veteran Golf Superintendent, Gregg Grenert, takes great pride in our course conditions. His team works diligently to ensure the course is well maintained and I appreciate you mentioning this. I hope we are able to welcome you back to the Samoset in the future.

Cornelius J. Russell

Write a ReviewReviews (1,385)

Reviewed 21 August 2014

This resort is a destination in itself. Ask for an ocean view room. The hotel is lovely with great Restaurants and beautiful pool. Great for families with kids because they have playground, a walk down the breakwater to the lighthouse and lots of kid-oriented lawn games!

Adam in maintenance was very helpful and jumped our car for free!

Room Tip: Ask for ocean View room away from outside door on lower floor.
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family
Connie R, General Manager at Samoset Resort On The Ocean, responded to this reviewResponded 2 September 2014

Dear Jeanine G,

Your review was a pleasure to read. Thank you for taking the time to write one. I was pleased to read about the fun you had while visiting the Samoset and enjoying our many family friendly amenities such as the playground and lawn games at the Ultimate Backyard, which we continue to expand. Thank you also for mentioning Adam and his automotive skills. Our “Consider It Done” culture is critical to our overall success. We both hope your trip home was uneventful and without any further car mishaps.

Reviewed 19 August 2014

Attended my niece's wedding everything ran perfect. Rehearsal party was a hit food and service exceptional.
Played golf on a course that was in great condition and views of the ocean were magnificent.
Wedding went off without a hitch. Pool was great play area for kids was spectacular.
Highly recommend for a couple or a family plenty for either option.

• Stayed: July 2014
2  Thank paul c

Dear paul c,

Thank you for taking the time to tell us about your niece’s wedding at the Samoset. We love hosting weddings and seeing families and friends come together all year long. It sounds like you fit in many activities around the special event with time on the golf course, in our heated zero-entry outdoor pool overlooking Penobscot Bay, and at the Ultimate Backyard. We look forward to your returning for more family fun.

Reviewed 19 August 2014

We just got back from a long weekend at the Samoset.

We had a wonderful time. It has a little something for everyone.
If I could give it a 3.5 star I would. For its price, I expected a bit more but not much more.. read below.
The rooms:
Our room was nicely equipped and fairly up to date. We had a slider with a small deck that had a sliver of a view of the ocean. It was nice. The beds are a bit hard but they cover them with a nice mattress pad and soft linens so it was fairly good. Rooms have keurig, good size fridge to store drinks etc, Ipod radio (30 pin dock connector), safe, hair dryer, ironing board etc. Our room had a bad gnat and fruit fly problem and I was constantly swatting at them all weekend.

Housekeeping was decent, they left us extra towels which we requested beforehand and they came at the same time every day. On arrival we did notice a dirty glass which they didn't replace the second day, so I left it in the sink to make sure they picked it up.

Facilities:
The Samoset does a really great job. The golf course was beautiful with amazing views of the ocean as the backdrop. I wish I was actually good at golf so I could appreciate it.
The outdoor pool was great, it was cool out but the pool was warm enough to not freeze. There was plenty of seating and shade at the pool and there is poolside wait staff to give you whatever you want.
In the lobby there is infused water, newspapers and a gift shop. The healthclub looked big and I think locals go here to work out as well. Very nice. The indoor pool was nice as well, but unfortunately some toddler dropped off a code brown when we were there and we had to leave the pool so they could clean it.
Restaurant/Lounge-They have a nice little restaurant and lounge. It strives to be upscale, but the food quality doesn't merit the price nor the pretentiousness (is that a word?)
Its decent food, not amazing which is what you would expect. The kids liked the pizzas and the burgers so that was good.

The indoor lounge/bar area was nice but they had live music on a few of the nights and I felt like it was too loud and it felt like the few tables they had to accommodate 4-5 were practically on top of the musicians. If you wanted a bit of quiet with the kids, you didn't have options unless you wanted the full italian fancy menu.

Staff
For the most part the staff make this place a wonderful experience. The front desk staff were very friendly. The concierge Nina was especially helpful in finding restaurants. She had a large book of restaurants and knew a lot about essentially all of them. She told us which place would be good for the kids, which wouldnt, which would have a wait, and which are just not good. I appreciated the honesty and the knowledge.

The pool side staff were pretty good, but when I sent back a drink because it tasted awful, the girl helping me happily brought me something different. When I got the bill, I was a bit surprised that she charged me for both drinks!!! I don't think I have ever been to a place (even dive bars) that charge you for a drink you send back. When I questioned her, she told me the manager doesnt like to credit drinks "because you dont like them, but I can take it off" . Thank you. Note to management, it's good customer service to as a policy do what just about every bar on the planet does for customers who send drinks back. If you send back food because you dont like the way it was prepared, you should do the same for drinks. How much does it cost you to keep your customers happy?? I don't send back many drinks because hey, it has alcohol it usually goes down easy, but in the case of something completely un-drinkable, its going back. This didn't sit well with me, especially at $10-11 a drink. It better be pretty good.
We had this same waitress at dinner the next night and she was overwhelmed and we felt bad for her. Service was slow and inconsistent. This wasn't entirely her fault. I think the college kids had left for school and they were suddenly understaffed.

Kids Club-A good mix of activities for the kids. At times I felt like the staff were a little overwhelmed and there was very little structure. After coming off day camp which was a very well organized and detailed oriented operation, the kids club here seemed a bit amateurish. There were too many kids and not enough staffers at times. During their Smores making event, there was literally 1-2 staffers and probably 20+ kids trying to stick their hands in an open flame. Not the counselors fault, just poor planning on their part. If you are going to do this activity, have the smores kids out and set up. Instead it was kids grabbing and swarming the poor girl who was trying to open the boxes of smores supplies, hand out skewers, keep kids from poking people's eyes out and then coordinating who had 1 or two etc. The male counselor not helping her do crowd control or anything. Some parents had to jump in to help.
Kids club, you either need to limit the number of kids you take to maintain a safe ratio or have more staff available for the popular activities. At times I felt as if your staff really weren't trained properly. During the ice cream social there was very little interaction with the kids, except for Willow who was doing beads with a few of the kids. A bunch of boys were swarming the only ping pong table in the room and when boys between 6-12 get together, you can imagine the chaos. There were 2-3 counselors sitting at a table "checking people in", but that's a 1 person job. The kids staff really need to engage with kids and make them feel welcome, not let them fend for themselves. There are those kids who are a bit shy. A smile and some kind words from an adult will totally bring those kids out of their shells and make them want to be there. We have had our kids in kid programs at Hilton's and other destination hotels and those staffers were very engaging, outgoing and engaged the kids with a huge greeting and "C'mon guys lets go do some karaoke..Bye mom, bye dad we're going to go have fun see you later!!" There really was none of that at Samoset.

All in all a really nice getaway. There's room for improvement but we will be back!

DISCLAIMER-The following written by my 11 year old

Rooms-The rooms were not bad, and it was very well furnished. The only issue with our room, is that the front door won't close too well unless you give it a little push. Overall the rooms were four stars.

Kids Club- There is a club for kids recommended for ages 5-12, while parents can get a drink, or hang out alone without kids around. There's a variety of different activities to choose. My kids made play-dough, made bracelets out of pony beads, and we even went to an "ice cream social" as a family. The kids club staff were excellent, and I would like to give a big shout-out to Willow, who was a very good leader in this program. This was her first summer working at the Samoset and she was only in high school, and already, she seemed like she's been working here for five years!

Overall this place was pretty good, with many positives, and a few minor negatives. Wish we could return again! :-)

Room Tip: Ask for ocean view.
1  Thank Rob D

Dear Rob D,

Thank you for your insightful review of the Samoset. Feedback such as yours helps us identify areas where we can improve and I appreciate your insight.

I am pleased we have since had the opportunity to communicate personally to directly address the points you raised in your review. I fully recognize we fell short in delivering the high standard of excellent service you expected. While I am certain you would have preferred the details of your stay to match your expectations I hope the compensation we provided assures you we are listening and we take your feedback seriously. I have addressed your concerns directly with the areas involved so we may all improve our efforts.

Please thank your eleven year old for letting us know how much fun it was to meet Willow in our popular Samoset Kids Club. We look forward to seeing you and your family again in the future.

Reviewed 17 August 2014

We just returned from 4 nights at the Samoset with our two children and we look forward to returning in the future. The staff is exceptional - friendly, courteous and helpful at all times and across all departments. The grounds are beautifully maintained and great fun. We played horseshoes, lawn golf, croquet and lots and lots of disc golf. The kids loved it. The outdoor pool was heated and offered spectacular views of the bay. The Health Club offered Wii and Xbox as well as an indoor pool to help entertain on a rainy day. The Enoteca Lounge was perfect for drinks and La Bella Vita is convenient for dinner with great service. Our room was a 2 bedroom Queen Select View and was good-sized for the four of us. We requested an extra rollaway bed and it fit comfortably in the room with plenty of space to move around and sit and relax. We'll be back.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family
Connie R, General Manager at Samoset Resort On The Ocean, responded to this reviewResponded 19 August 2014

Dear Srbolt,

Your review was such a pleasure to read. It seems your family packed in every activity imaginable while you were here: horseshoes, lawn golf, croquet, disc golf, the heated outdoor and indoor pools, Wii and Xbox games, plus fabulous meals in La Bella Vita. I am certain that the adults in your group must’ve needed some naps along the way? We look forward to welcoming you and your family back for more fun on another visit.

Reviewed 16 August 2014

This was our 3rd stay at this property and each has been lovely. They are now part of the Opal Collection and it appears that they have moved a step up

Our room was a 2 bed Queen Select View, not the most expensive, but very comfortable. We had requested a high floor quiet room, so we were on the 3rd floor with a small balcony overlooking the pool. It was definitely a quiet room, never hearing noise from adjoining rooms or hallway. The room had been recently decorated with nice crown moldings and a light colored wallpaper.

There was a large walk- in closet with a safe. The vanity was outside of the bath and commode area which works well for us. The room was quite spacious and included a Keirug coffee maker

We selected the Opal dining package for 2 of our 4 days which included a great buffet breakfast, with a chef making egg dishes as well as an array of wonderful fresh fruit, cereals, pastries bagels, etc. You also have the option of ordering off the menu. Seating is in the dining room or on the outside patio.

The package also included dinner which comprised an appetizer, entree and dessert . The 2 pound stuffed Maine lobster was an up charge of $5.00 and well worth it!

For the other 2 days of our stay, we selected the Hole in One golf package which was 18 holes of golf in a cart for both of us for 1/2 the price of what a normal round would cost. The course borders Penobscot Bay and that alone is worth the money. However, it is can also be a challenging course, to either the high or low handicap golfer

The pool is simply beautiful and is surrounded by comfortable lounge chairs. A new play area for children and adults ( disc golf and croquet) has been installed. A full service spa and health club are also available.

There is enough to keep you busy without leaving the resort area

Room Tip: If you want quiet, request a high floor quiet room
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple

Dear Susan K,

Thank you for choosing to return to the Samoset and for taking the time to share your experience with other travelers. Your comments detailing our OPAL dining packages featuring delicious breakfasts in La Bella Vita and our well-appointed and luxurious rooms will be helpful to others considering staying with us. I am pleased to read how much you enjoyed the outdoor pool and Ultimate Backyard during your visit, as well. We will look forward to your next return visit.

Reviewed 13 August 2014 via mobile

We arrived in early June to spend 2 nights to celebrate our joint birthdays. When Mr Russell realized it was our celebration we were upgraded to a cottage on the shore. What a magnificent surprise! Thanks, in spite of rain we felt very special.
The staff were very attentive and the restaurant quite good with creative selections.
We can't wait to come at another time of year.

Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple

Dear Sally A,

We love birthdays at the Samoset and I was so pleased to have the opportunity to personally make your stay with us even better with a complimentary upgrade. Our four luxury cottages are perfect for making celebrations even more special. We look forward to seeing you again and I’ll get to work on making sure it doesn’t rain during your next visit.

Cornelius J. Russell

Also consider these accommodations in or near Rockport
Grand Harbor Inn
Rockland Harbor Hotel
Rockland Harbor Hotel
#1 of 3 in Rockland
The Country Inn at Camden / Rockport

Been to Samoset Resort On The Ocean? Share your experiences!