“Great atmosphere. Great service. Great food.”
Review of Shepherd's Pie - CLOSED

Shepherd's Pie
Cuisines: American
Good for: Special Occasion Dining, Local cuisine, Romantic, Bar Scene
Dining options: Dinner, After-hours, Reservations
Rockport, Maine
“Great atmosphere. Great service. Great food.”
Reviewed 8 March 2014

My wife and I, and another couple, went to SP last night for dinner. This was our 5th time there and we loved it as much as the other four times. I had the fried clam taco and my wife had the shark. Drinks were excellent too!

• Visited March 2014

“Still wonderful!!”
Reviewed 23 February 2014

We met friends at Shepherd's Pie for dinner last night. We had not been in a while, and it was just as wonderful as I remembered. The setting is warm, inviting and fun, situated in an older building on the main street. While the menu is not huge (you sometimes have to be weary of huge menus), every dish looks interesting, and tempting! The combinations of ingredients and flavors are not the "everyday" ones, and they really work. I had the Shepherd's Pie with the braised lamb which was amazing! I had a side of the spinach, and what added a great twist was the porcine mushrooms. We all thoroughly enjoyed our meals... oh, did I mention the Chocolate Pot de Creme?? It is a must-have dessert!!

• Visited February 2014
1 Thank HereAtLast
Phippsburg, Maine
“Once great, now some hits, some misses!”
Reviewed 10 February 2014

We've been very satisfied with our past experiences at Shepherd's Pie, so went back with a friend during the Toboggan Races to introduce him to the Fried Clam tacos, which we love. Note: other than the 3 tortillas, there is nothing Mexican about them. They are delicious, fresh fried full belly clams and the accompanying sauce is original, a departure from the tartar sauce that it looks like. They are delicious and filling, but somehow over the years the price has crept up from the pleasantly affordable $14 to the ridiculously expensive $24. An expensive hit.

I hate when a restaurant tries to reinvent a proven classic, so can't recommend the smoked alewife Caesar salad. The "fish bacon" the bartender had raved about was barely present and nearly tasteless. The romaine was thin sliced and textureless and the garlic croutons (the only garlic in a traditionally garlicy favorite) were barely seasoned at all. Nothing here even vaguely resembled a Caesar salad. A miss.

My wife's Duck PB&J sandwich was wonderful with fresh bread and a delicious pallet of tastes and textures. Unfortunately, her French fries were so heavily garliced (not mentioned in the menu) that we all pushed them away untouched. The sandwich was a hit, the fries a miss.

I was disappointed with the pork belly sandwich. The bread and dipping sauce were delicious, but the meat was dry and tough, and bore no noticeable resemblance to a good smoky bacon, as expected. The pickles were mild and tasty though. A near miss.

Finally, kudos that you can still buy an unpretentious can of cheap domestic beer with your meal here. Even a 40 ouncer! But raspberries for the latest trend in boutique brews where for some reason otherwise sensible people don't seem to mind spending $10 and up on a pint of draft. Boo on you. I support local craft brews, within reason. These high end prices were unreasonable. Save those prices for the wine snobs, please.

Shepherd's Pie appears to be letting their James Beard review go to their pocketbook's head, somehow bypassing the kitchen and straight to the menu prices.

Bring back the affordable, creative flavors and textures that first won our hearts and patronage, please.

I recommend sitting at the bar when possible, the bartender is reliable and entertaining without being pretentious.

• Visited February 2014
4 Thank h0trudderedbum
New York City, New York
“Great Place”
Reviewed 15 January 2014

Creative menu, with a variety of items. Usually consistent and
quite busy. Usually my favorite. I cannot remember what I ordered but I know it was succulent.

Visited November 2013
Camden, New Jersey
“Consistently disappointing”
Reviewed 13 December 2013

I keep trying to give this place the benefit of the doubt. But tonight's experience was my last try. We ordered the clam tacos. The tacos were burned. Our waitress said that they were supposed to be burned because they were grilled. Then she said that the grill was very hot. Really ?!?! To add insult to injury, she commented that she had no control over the food. If we hadn't had to wait so long to be served, I would have given it back. My pork belly sandwich also had burned pieces. This place needs to learn the difference between grilling something and burning it. We won't be eating here again. This place is overpriced and the food is consistently mediocre. If you care more about the atmosphere than the food, this place is for you. Not for me.

• Visited December 2013