“Good but...”

Salt Water Farm Cafe and Market
Price range: US$20 - US$49
Cuisines: American, Contemporary, Cafe
Dining options: Dinner, Breakfast, Reservations
Description: Opened in April of 2013, Salt Water Farm Restaurant & Cafe in Rockport's stately Union Hall provides locals, tourists and sailors alike with fresh, local options for breakfast, lunch and dinner, plus a comfortable bar six days a week, with brunch on Sunday. The experience and creativity of the staff and the vision of owner Annemarie Ahearn translate to inspired farm-to-table versions of traditional dishes, like clams bagna cauda, and seasonal highlights such as wild mushroom gravy with biscuits or a vine-ripe tomato salad. If you live in Rockport, lucky you; if not, here's a reason to visit. (Source: Portland Press Herald - Sept. 20
Reviewed 17 August 2014

I had a really good cheeseburger at SWF. I was a little disappointed that they didn't ask me how I wanted it cooked as it was a little underdone for me. I was there first diner for dinner that night, maybe they were getting into the groove? And there really wasn't a side with it other than a small salad. I did have an excellent dessert, something chocolate but don't remember. Atmosphere was nice.

Reviewed 17 August 2014

Waiters surly, food skimpy and cold....lots and lots of greenery to cover plate. Wine list overly pretentious. Our first selection so sour we returned it. They huffed and huffed and said well, they could sell it by the glass so allowed us to order another overpriced selection. No bread served or offered. I could go on in this vein but I won't waste your time. Although we live locally, we are world travelers and know our wines, good food and proper service. In fairness, the deviled eggs were delicious! Fortunately there are many wonderful restaurants in the Camden, Rockport area.
This, for dinner, is definitely not one of them.

3  Thank Lvultee
Reviewed 14 August 2014

Sat on the terrace and had great food and a beautiful view. What more can you say! Make a point of having lunch if you are in Rockland. I would suggest a reservation since it is very busy at lunch.

1  Thank Redfran
Reviewed 4 August 2014

The view from the back of this restaurant are great. We (4 of us) ate inside because the place was packed. The staff is friendly, knowledgeable and willing to take the time to talk to you.
I had an open-faced chicken salad sandwich that was delish. The other diners equally enjoyed their lunch. Highly recommend this spot should you be in the area or even make it a destination point.

Reviewed 4 August 2014

While on vacation in Rockport, ME, my family and our friends decided to try Salt Water Farm. It was a huge mistake. Upon arriving, the host/waiter brought us to our table. When he realized we were a party of 9, not 8 that was set for the table, he got really testy with us. I guess it was too hard for him to figure out that he just needed to add another chair and place setting to the table. Instead of taking care of us, he had us stand in front of the table while he went to take the order of another table! When we decided to move the table a few inches to the left to make room for another chair so we could sit down, the waiter/host told us not to touch the table. As he continued to serve other people, we sat ourselves down. The waiter/host became unhinged and began to argue with my friend over why we sat down at the table. He then came back to our table acting hostile and flipped menus across the table to us, including our four children. My had to catch he's as it nearly flew off the table. My friend had enough of this and got up and left, and the rest of us soon followed after being stunned by the level of disrespect and mistreatment we suffered at Salt Water Farm. We went to another restaurant nearby and had a wonderful experience and we gave them a huge tip. They knew how to treat customers. Salt Water Farm doesn't have a clue.

11  Thank LawrenceD3